Keel repair option?

I bought my boat used in 2011 and knew it needed welding work in rear and later on found out the keel had been poorly repaired. It was a foot and a half just at the transition to the pad. It looked ok and I installed a keel sheild. Last June while at the house in my sloped driveway I pulled the livewell drain hose to replace the drain valve and noticed water pouring from the front. The keel sheild was peeling off where the weld was. I had no time to do any repair at that time due to meeting my father in law from Indiana at Toledo bend so I sealed the weld area and glued the keel shield up. I ran this repair till November then work and home life had stopped my fishing for the year. This January I pulled the keel shield, cleaned and inspected the area. It looks like I hit something and cracked about a foot long area but not on the weld itself, just off to the side. What I am thinking instead of trying to weld upside down maybe cutting a hole in my center storage area and welding it from the inside and add some bracing. So has anyone seen what's under the floor? Am I looking at more trouble than its worth?

Might be some foam under the floor. Are you talking about like right below the seats ?

No just at the middle to end of where the rod boxes are.

I know on my 2006 the part of the floor in console area has foam under it. But I don't think it goes up under the lockers but I'm not 100% sure. If it doesn't I would just have it welded good from the bottom.

I can pull the foam out and refoam. That wouldn't be an issue. I was wanting to see if there is any cross braces under that area. I know I can see the keel under from the rod boxes up to the center storage area.

Ok, I cut a 3/4" hole in the storage area and used a bore scope. There is a subfloor but the center of the boat has two square tubes where the subfloors meet and looks like they are braces. I don't feel comfortable cutting those. So it looks like I will be grinding the old weld off and welding from underneath with a spool gun.

I would do the same. Not messing with the bracing.
    Could you tell if bracing had come loose or anything?

8. Member
    Either a spool gun or preferably a tig. Repaired mine and put a patch on it in less than 3 hours and it was about 2 foot long crack. The P/O put a keel shield on it to cover up the damage. It didn't go back on! CJ
    Oh and a FYI, have a water hose on hand to smother that crap foam because it will burn! Don't let air get to it and you should not have any problems. Never had a issue with the hull but when I braced the back I had a couple of fires that had to be put out! CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

I couldn't see any thing broke. I think it was a good repair but I hit a stump or rock on the edge and split it. I welded it up saturday night. Just did short stitch welds and slowed the wire down some. I put the trailer on our big drive on lift and rasied it so I could sit in a chair to move around. I sanded the weld I made down flush and I should get my keel shield in Thursday. I should be able to fish this next weekend. I do know if it does it again I will cut the sub floor and go from the top but over to one side of the braces.