Inner Tire Wear Troubleshooting

I have a single 3500# axle trailer for a 19'6" stratos, and noticed there was quite a bit of wear on the inside of both tires, along with negative camber when the boat is loaded today. I have no tackle on board with a full tank of gas, 3 27 batteries, and a full oil reservoir.

I took a bubble level to the axle and it was bowed on the ends near the spindles (negative camber). So I jacked up the trailer and took off the wheels to check the bearing hubs and they were fine. I also took a level to the axle with no load, and it was level all the way across. I checked the rotors vertically with a level and they appeared fine too.

Should this axle have more positive camber with no load or should i be looking at another root cause?

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Probably is or has been overloaded. Some shops might be able to put the bend back in it. Are you sure the axle is rated 3500? Any chance it’s a lighter replacement axle?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    It's the original ufp axle. I'll check with an alignment shop tomorrow to see what they can do. Thanks.

4. Member
    Perhaps it's a torsion axle. I've seen them go through a lot of camber changes when being towed. At rest the axles might be perfect but in their travel loaded they sometimes change.

5. Member
    Any chance your tire not rated high enough for your rig?

6. Member
    It's a spring axle, and I put D rated tires on it back in late 2015 when I purchased it. I must have damaged the axle towing within the last year... I've rotated the tires a few times before and never saw the wear starting.

I assume you checked the bearings. I had the same problem and discovered slack in the wheel bearings.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

Alignment shop probably won’t do it. Any frame shops local?
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

9. Member
    Yeah, I checked for play in the bearings and there wasn't any. I just got done talking to a local axle shop, and they said they could put camber back in it, but suggested replacing the axle. They only had round axles on hand, and are going to get me a quote on a rectangle axle if their supplier has them.

10. Member
    After talking more with the axle shop, I'm going to order a custom heavier axle, but keep the same spindle size to hopefully prevent overload damage in the future.

11. Member
    I've been tearing down my suspension getting ready for the new axle and noticed these rear hanger bushings are really worn. I'm trying to find replacements online, but can't find steel ones anywhere in this size: 1" O.D x 3/4" I.D x 1 3/4" Length. Anyone know where I can get them? I was able to find the inner nylon bushing replacements, which where 3/4" O.D. x 9/16" I.D.

12. Member
    Try ETRAILER they had metal bushings for my trailer. Billy

13. Member
    Look for UFP nylon bushing