R&R Prpo shaft seal

I have a 1990 Johnson GT200 J200STLESE.I am wondering if I can R&R the prop shaft seal and bearing myself. The shops want 200 bucks to do it. Are there any special tools that I might need?

2. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Harmonic balancer puller with 2-12" 1/4 20 all threads to pull the rbc carrier then change seals and reinstall. remember to use gasket compound around the outer circumference of the seals and they go back to back. Lube the lips of the seals with oil or triple guard grease before install.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 65panhed View Post
    I have a 1990 Johnson GT200 J200STLESE.I am wondering if I can R&R the prop shaft seal and bearing myself. The shops want 200 bucks to do it. Are there any special tools that I might need?
    If you're going to replace the bearing, you must do this while the seals are removed. A good torch is very helpful in removing the bearing. Heat the bearing area until it begins to smoke, then drive it out from the opposite side. While it's still warm, put your new bearing in with letters up. You may need a socket to drive it in.

Thanx guys!

If I do this, am I screwin up , not R&Ring the bearings too?

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    As many seals I've replaced, I've never replaced the bearings. I do grease the bearings with BRP Triple guard grease though.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 65panhed View Post
    If I do this, am I screwin up , not R&Ring the bearings too?
    Not if the bearings look good and don't have broken rollers or other visible damage.