Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone found their Lynx to be a little "too big"?

I know I know, never too much gun, never too much truck, never too much boat.........

....but don't shoot whitetail with a 50BMG, can't take my F-250 on a 6' wide trail and would not be able to fish a yacht (or likely a Jag) in some of the bayou's around me.

So, I have an AWESOME local BCB dealer who is really working with me such that I *might* could afford the cost difference between a Caracal and a Lynx. My current ride a Phoenix 920 ProXP, no complaints, just better local dealer for BCB and time to make a change for multiple unrelated reasons.

Taking a hard look at the Caracal vs the 920 I know the Caracal deck is 'smaller/shorter' but I firmly *believe* the useable deck length is nearly identical and the Caracal carries the width much farther forward. That said I just looked at one first hand and was slightly underwhelmed; not disappointed AT ALL, but just enough to make me take one last look at the Lynx option.

I am certain the Caracal is more than 'enough' boat and really think VERY equal to my 920 in useable size/storage/etc. But this could easily be the only new boat I ever get a chance to purchase so want to make sure I don't 'wish' I had done differently in a few years.

All that said, if I can swing the cost I am thinking seriously about stepping up to the Lynx. Other than $$$$ my main concern is that it is even a hair larger than my 920, will *feel* noticeably larger; so just wondering if any of you guys who maybe fish some smaller lakes, bayous, creeks, rivers, etc. that have one or have fished from one, have ever felt like it was really a bit too much boat to be using there. Not just that it was overkill but have you felt you would have been better off with a smaller rig?

And I am just talking about the smallest places a person would take a fiberglass, not some of the stuff around me that is domain for only flat bottoms and mud motors. :)
    Lastly FWIW I also fish some big water like Toledo and Rayburn where I am sure the Lynx would have a slight advantage but also have heard multiple times how awesome the Caracal does there as well.

Sorry long winded and Thanks in Advance!!!

2. Member
    OK. Here's my experience with my Lynx that I've had for just over a month.

Yes, the Lynx is a big boat. No question about that. But to me it fishes smaller that what it actually is. Are you going to maneuver it through a submerged stump bed like a 19' aluminum Tracker? Probably not. But last weekend and again on Monday I fished in some brutal wind and with a proper TM (I have the Ultrex) I never felt like I couldn't control where I wanted the boat to go. I was on Lake Guntersville Monday, under a wind advisory in 2'- 3' swells, and I was very thankful to be in a large, heavy boat that handled the waves impressively. I don't normally get into those situations but when the time comes its nice to have it.

I'm sorry but I have no comparison to a Caracal as I've only fish my Lynx and a Cougar FTD. But size wise, or for any reason yet, I have no regrets with my Lynx. OK, maybe one. Wish I'd went to a Basscat sooner!

In my opinion is you can make the $$$$$ work you will be better off in the Lynx. I ABSOLUTELY love mine.
    2018 BassCat Lynx
    Mercury 300R

Beautiful Grand Lake
    Grove Oklahoma

3. Member
    So I’m in the process of getting a Caracal myself. Personally, I love the size of the Lynx but I’m not willing to spend that much on a bass boat. Even the Caracal is more than what I think these boats are worth. That being said, I think anywhere you would fish a Caracal, you could fish a Lynx. Once you get into a 20’ boat, They all require about the same room for maneuverability. Depending on how skinny (shallow) you fish may be more of a concern, so you may want to know what the draft is on each boat. If you are okay with the price, I say go big or go home. Lol. But it sounds like either boat would meet your needs. Good luck.

4. Member
    Thanks guys! Those opinions seem to jive with everything I have been about to find, see, read, experience or guesstimate myself. I'm certainly seriously concerned about laying out more $$$ than I EVERY thought I would for a boat, even the Caracal! But comes down to if I ever will now would be the time. Still not sure and love to hear any other feedback, at least helping get my mind right as to what is real and what is imagined maybe.....

5. Member
    love the lynx but if the used one listed on bbc is worth 75k I would never buy a new one knowing it is much more $ caracal maybe
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

6. Member
    No offense to the seller but I think 75 is wishful thinking. That said, they are around 12k +/- 2k more than the caracal!

I Have a Caracal on order......I think it will be the perfect boat for me.

I went heavy on options and can't wait to get it. That said, the
    Lynx looks incredible, but I don't want to depend the extra money. If the price is close, go big
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

I run the Jag and it never feels too big for me. I was in a shallow pond in the marsh the other day and was amazed at how well it floated in very shallow water. As far as width the wide bodies are all similar. I think you'd be fine in the lynx. Carcal too though. Buy what you like the most and don't look back.

9. Member
    Thanks guys! I think its going to really boil down to if I think the extra 10k+ is worth it to me for extra room, little extra speed, maybe like for longer, etc. Kinda what I figured so not much nearer making a decision but has been a true help to get some feedback to keep me from second guessing everything I think about. I'll be a member of the BCB family one way or the other soon and looking forward to it!

10. Member
    I started to order the Caracal but ended up with the Lynx and glad I did. I fish a lot of open water with grandkids up front sometimes. I know the Caracal would have suited me just fine but this was supposed to be my retirement boat so I swung for the fences. 10 to 12k is about right but the Lynx allows you to buy much more motor which I went with the 250 Verado. Awesome, awesome motor! That being said a person can widen the price gap even more. I would buy the Caracal in a minute had BCB not created the Lynx.

11. Member
    If I was fishing the Quachita and Red river systems anymore like you may be, I’d put the Eyra on your short list. I think it’s the best river fishing platform on the market. You may want a wider deck, but that boat is a flipping, pitching, punching machine just by design. It’ll fit into tiny little places and is fast. I mean really fast. That makes a difference when you have a 20 mile run each way. I can’t speak for the other two, but the Eyra slides off stumps better than any other boat I’ve fished out of.

Quote Originally Posted by iron banks View Post
    I run the Jag and it never feels too big for me. I was in a shallow pond in the marsh the other day and was amazed at how well it floated in very shallow water. As far as width the wide bodies are all similar. I think you'd be fine in the lynx. Carcal too though. Buy what you like the most and don't look back.
    Plus 1. Agree 100%

Quote Originally Posted by blakesfav View Post
    If I was fishing the Quachita and Red river systems anymore like you may be, I’d put the Eyra on your short list. I think it’s the best river fishing platform on the market. You may want a wider deck, but that boat is a flipping, pitching, punching machine just by design. It’ll fit into tiny little places and is fast. I mean really fast. That makes a difference when you have a 20 mile run each way. I can’t speak for the other two, but the Eyra slides off stumps better than any other boat I’ve fished out of.
    Can't beat an Eyra for stump release.

Quote Originally Posted by blakesfav View Post
    Couldn’t agree more. Where do you fish mostly? If you are going up the bayou, boeuf river, etc then the Lynx is too big. My cougar FTD is too big in certain scenarios. The Eyra would be a better boat for many places around here.

15. Member
    I agree with the posts on the Eyra.
    If your going to flipping docks, skipping under cypress tree branches, shallow stump fields and running bayous, there isn't a better 20 footer than the Eyra.
    Otherwise, I have seen the Lynx and don't believe it would be too big.
    There are plenty wide deck 20+ foot R boats in the area, Lynx will get the job done better.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

Ask the dealer for a test ride. Blows my mind that someone could be expected to spend 70+K for a boat without at least spending an hour or two in it.

17. Member
    Why do y'all think a boat gets to big? I had a Z522 Ranger,a VX521 Ranger,and a Phoenix 921 and never found any of these boats to be to big for the stumps on lake fork. I never found any of these boats to big to fish the docks either.They were never to big to get into the shallow water either. I am wondering what makes y'all think they get to big. I am more curious then anything. I am not going to run a boat smaller then 20' because of the wind on the Texas lakes and I like the ride of the bigger boats on windy days.

Phoenix 921, I'm talking about fishing back water areas off the river where wide body boats won't fit, around Cypess trees, etc. I can't even get to some of the places I use to catch fish in my aluminum boat. I have a friend with a Sabre FTD and he can get into places I can't. If you start flipping cypress trees and can't get between the trees you are going to leave a lot of fish. I can take you to places where you would wish you had a smaller boat.

19. Member
    I think my next boat in a couple years will be a lynx with the new Mercury Pro XS four cycle engine. That would give Mercury a year or two to work out the kinks. I currently have a Caracal and love the boat.

20. Member
    Just got back from the Classic and had time to crawl around the Lynx. First off, the Lynx is not only a wide boat, it is super deep, I mean really deep. The step up to the front deck is a big step. When standing on the cockpit floor, the front deck is up there, like closer to the top of your thighs vs your knees like most boats. This has got to be an amazing big water boat but would really like to know how much water this boat drafts. The second thing that hit me as an odd set up was the starboard side tackle hatches. These are very shallow for such a deep hull? No more carrying an extra trolling motor or having another rod locker. The port side rod locker is semi normal but small. Im mean, dont get me wrong, this is a cool boat, just surprised at layout and depth of the hull. I drove from VT basically to look at boats and had the Lynx at the top of the list but at this point I think Ill replace my Cougar with another Cougar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast