Thread: Hydra vs NFC

Hydra vs NFC

Getting ready to build a Flipping rod ( 7'4") and a Shakeyhead/Finess jig rod ( 6'8") . Due to NFC blanks on sale wondering what blanks to use? NFC Hm or Hydra NG - For those who have used both I am interested in sensitivity mainly. Which of the 2 blanks are the most sensitive ? I have not used these blanks , always built on St Croix SCIV or SCV blanks. How does the NFC IM or HM and the Hydra NG compare to the SCIV?
    Thank you, Jay

2. Member
    No one can offer any comparison?

3. Member
    Cant comment on the NFC, but I have built several hydra blanks and they are a very sensitive blank.

4. Member
    I've built on all 3, NFC HM & IM, Hydra Ng and SCIV (& V) when it comes to flip blanks. If you're most concerned about sensitivity then go with a NFC HM since they are on sale. They are incredibly sensitive. At the same time, I don't know that I'd use braid on an HM. That's not just coming from me, I called NCF a while back asking for a blank recommendation and they steered me towards IM because I was going to be using braid. I only buy NFC when they have the sales because, while the HM's are very sensitive I don't feel that it justifies the price.

If you're going to use braid then without a doubt go with the Hydra Ng FL4 (pitching and light flippin), FL5 (legit flippin) or FL6 (meat stick). IMO the Ng's outperform the IM's at the same pricepoint (when the NFC's are on sale, otherwise they're basically double).

I also prefer the Ng's to SCIV. I used to build mainly St. Croix's a long time ago and have built many. While very nice blanks, just like the NFC's I don't think that the SCIV's or V's justify the price. If you're gonna go with an SCIV then it make the most sense to just get a Rod Geeks C4, same blank, less cost.

I can't comment on a NFC or Hydra shakeyhead blank though, sorry. I really do like the Rod Geeks C473MHXS for that though. If you go with Hydra or NFC, I'd just call them on that.

5. Member
    Thanks for the info, My flipping is considered light duty by most, no braid, 20 lb floro, no grass, mainly boat docks and willows, light buck brush . 1/2 oz jig main bait. Boat docks are the main reason for the 7'3" length. Lots of clean clear water here on Table Rock and Bull Shoals. Have not been able to find someone close that has a ALX rod or Hydra blank to check out.

6. Member
    If you go with Hydra then I'd say the Ng FL4, it's probably my favorite pitchin rod. Super versatile too, the ALX rod that uses it is the Toadface. You can swim a jig with it or throw a frog as well. The sensitivity is there but it's also shown me that it'll hold up to some abuse. I use it to like "light punch" with a 3/4 oz tungsten on the Mississippi river a lot too.

7. Member
    NFC

8. Member
    NFC blanks are on sale most likely because they are in trouble.
    IMO, that’s not the best sign regarding quality and especially warranty.
    Been very happy with every Hydra/ALX product ever used.

9. Member
    Thanks to all, Think I am going to give Hydra a try.