Hot side March 15,16,17 any tips?

My brother and I started a tradition last year of renting a house on the hotside for a few days and fish. Weather really sucked last year, but still had fun and caught fish. I noticed there isn't any vegetation in the lake, besides it being winter, so I am assuming that it is a structure game/off shore. I am not asking for secret tricks, just a hint or two to catch a few and blow off the winter stink.

Thanks

2. Member
    Go to the cold side......lol

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesjet View Post
    My brother and I started a tradition last year of renting a house on the hotside for a few days and fish. Weather really sucked last year, but still had fun and caught fish. I noticed there isn't any vegetation in the lake, besides it being winter, so I am assuming that it is a structure game/off shore. I am not asking for secret tricks, just a hint or two to catch a few and blow off the winter stink.

Thanks
    No need to fish offshore.....tons of fish are up shallow right now...flukes, swimbaits, top water...whatever you want to catch them on.....but as dirt said I'd spend at least one day on the cold side...they are eating good right now

4. Member
    The channel leading from the second to the third cooling lake is always a good bet for some fish, also there are several beaver huts in Millpond Creek, they will be in small coves on your left as your heading into the creek from the rt 652 bridge.

The trip went well. Last year was the first time that we went there on our own. Last year was disaster, we thought there was civilization near there, lol. We needed a bunch of stuff for the stay and kept driving back to Thornburg for it. We learned, and this year we took everything we needed and if we didn't have it, we didn't need it.

Fishing, Thursday windy, but nice. Got on water around 3pm, I used a 1/2oz silver buddy (never used it), caught three that were what I would say are quality fish for PA, about 2.5-3lbs. They were off points in about 18ft of water. Friday, seemed like a great day, wind was worse. Couldn't really find a nice place to stay out of wind and catch fish. We found some places that I threw a soft jerkbait that I pour and we caught 22 bass that day. Saturday was the best day, even with the sleet. Caught only about 15 between us but lost a few also. Game of the day was shallow crank and weighted wacky rig under deeper docks. The bass were bigger on average.

Of note, I thought I would find a fish that would hit an A rig. We didn't. We both threw it to the point that we had serena Williams grunts while heaving it. I was hoping that I could fish a fish dumb enough to hit it for so I could gain confidence in it.

I will try the cold side next year also, I am not confident that I can find fish and get bit in water that is in the 40s.

6. Member
    sounds like a nice weekend...trying throwing the A rig around the bridges next time