Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bayou Black Marina is no more, after next March 1st. 2019

Rep. Kevin Pearson has HB391 introduced in the regular session of the 2018 Louisiana Legislature.
    http://www.legis.la.gov/Legis/ViewDocument.aspx?d=1071553

We were unaware of this bill until yesterday and will be meeting with Rep. Pearson very soon to try to organize support and offer some suggestions for changes to this bill.
    The bill is currently assigned to heard in the Civil Law and Procedures Committee at the legislature but no date has been set. It is going to be imperative that as many folks as possible take a day off from work and make these Committee hearings. If the bill does not make it out of committee it will die.
    Mr. Pearson stressed that it is very important that each and every one of you CALL
    your legislators to let them know that this bill is on your radar and that you want it to proceed. It is equally important that you contact the members of the Civil Law Committee. Those member names can be found here. http://house.louisiana.gov/H_Cmtes/CivilLaw.aspx

If you go to the new website www.joinlasc.com

you can easily contact each and everyone of these guys through an email form.
    Here's your shot guys, things are getting done and moving forward it is only your voices that will defeat big money!!! I would venture to guess all those canals back there will be gated off in March.

www.legis.la.gov

LEGIS.LA.GOV

By the way, folks, if you think this won’t affect you. It was confirmed today that Bob's Bayou Black Marina is scheduled to close because the canal between the slip and the Shell canal is leased. The company that owns it is refusing to renew the lease. This is the first step in making that part of the marsh innaccessible to the public. Bob's is likely to close March 1, 2019 as they are unable to get the landowner to move on leasing the land. So all you fisherman, duck hunters, etc... might want to help us out by jumping up and speaking up for HB 391

You can also go to Louisiana Sportsmens Coalition for info.

2. Member
    Isn’t there another ramp close by?

This is a much bigger issue than just using another ramp.
    James Simmons (985)870-0201
    Stanford Baits Pro Staff Gambler Lures Pro staff Vector Hooks Pro staff Enigma rods pro staff
    P-line Pro Staff. Amphibia Eyegear Pro staff TH Marine Pro staff
    Woo!Tungsten Pro Staff Hoo-rag Pro Staff Sublime Wear Pro staff Crusher Lures Pro staff

Quote Originally Posted by Ugabassangler View Post
    this ^^^^^^^^
    721 ​ProXp

5. Member
    Yes, Might be a move to show who is the boss. It's gonna get worse folks. Hold on! Hopefully we can get a few politicians with balls to do the right thing.

Roc, someone told me you had a nice writeup on Facebook. Post it up here for us folks that don't do the facebook thing. Guess I need to get up with the times.

6. Member

I agree and that was not the intent of my post. I am genuinely curious. Wasn't there a thread about another launch?

7. Member
    Depending on where you want to fish. There is Amelia under the bridge, just north of that is the new Joe Thibodaux landing, south of orange grove is Cannons, and in a pinch you can launch in berwick if you don't mind running a little.

8. Member
    The want us to call these Reps and talk to them, and keep calling. Go to the Louisiana Sporstmans Coalition Facebook page. Numbers for everyone's Senator and Rep on there, and call the people on the law committee also, t here numbers are on there also. I will post what I emailed to them the other day before I called.

9. Member
    Launches will not do us any good Jerry, if they keep shutting us out.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lakebouef5 View Post
    Launches will not do us any good Jerry, if they keep shutting us out.
    I agree, was answering the question about other launches.

11. Member
    This is the email I sent to my Senator and Rep. They want us to call them also, and also members of the civil law committee, where the bill is headed to see if it is .....legal....

Senator Smith, I am writing to you today about HB 391 that Rep.. Kevin Pearson has introduced. This bill will propose that the public will ALWAYS.....have access to travel this state's waterways. I was raised in St. Charles Parish on the West Bank, hunting, fishing, trapping, crabbing and shrimping on our lakes and bayous. This state has a rich heritage of it's people being able to traverse our waterways in order to participate in these endeavors. There are numerous programs on cable TV, which are highly rated and watched, around the world. Everyone considers Louisiana, the Sportsman's Paradise. But now, people are learning that this is not very true, and we are only the Paradise....for the deep pocketed. A number of citizens started a group just over 2 years ago....the Louisiana Sportsmen's Coalition, to try and bring our water access laws back to sensibility, and the public. I am 65 years old, and have lived long enough to see many shocking events unfold in our 13 coastal parishes. Waterways are closed DAILY, and with coastal erosion, the sportsmen of this state are being squeezed in to smaller and smaller areas. The oil companies alone, collectively, own many millions of acres of our coastal marshes. Our laws were changed and amended over the years....and now, a landowner not only owns the land...but the water. This is the only state in the U.S....that does not guarantee it's citizens the right to traverse it's waterways.....shocking and ...appalling. Our ancestors, and even I , traveled many natural bayous and waterways to get to our fishing areas....bays and lakes. the oil industry came here in the 30's, and immediately started digging canals and pipelines in our coastal marshes. The USGS estimates that this industry dug between 10,000 and 15,000 miles of these canals and pipelines....destroying the majority of our natural bayous on which we once...legally traveled. Now ....in too many areas...we must travel dug canals to get anywhere, and these dug canals are claimed as ...PRIVATE. What a way to entrap the citizens of a state. Entire canal systems have been gated off over the years,and in the last 20 years, it has been shocking as to the amount of areas closed off to the public. Sen Smith , I ask for your consideration and support for public access to our waterways again. Too many times over the last 2 years....on trips to Baton Rouge to meet with many on this critical issue, we were told....that nothing could be done. I realize this is starting as a House bill, and may or may not make it to the Senate, but please help out in any way possible. If you have any questions on this issue, please feel free to contact me....I appreciate the chance to reach out to you sir, thank you.

I received a written note from Zee Zeringue stating he was working with Pearson to clear up legal issue in the bill.

13. Member
    Yes, the bill is before the civil law committee

14. Member
    I talked to someone that is kinda "in the know" about what is going on and may be in a position to help soon. He is not directly involved but is familiar with and on the fence about the issue stating he sees both sides. He was saying all this is doing is getting the landowners angry and will lead to more private areas and gated canals. He also said he is hearing a lot about people wanting to take away their rights as a property owner. He said landowners were willing to work with the sportsmen before this but not anymore. The coalition really needs to address the issue as not wanting to take away any property rights and only wanting to access the publics water. Something needs to be done to remove liability issues. Also, addressing marsh areas that are leased for hunting. These were the points that stuck out to me in the conversation. That could be true but what I get from that conversation is this coalition is getting some traction and has some folks worried their private refuges might be going away. I do think we need to be careful in having as a mission to go anywhere the water floats you. There may be some room to compromise in the duck and deer leases during the seasons similar to how they close off areas to fishing in the management areas. It really is sad this had to get this ugly and adults could not sit down and agree to share the resources we have using basic common sense. We need to educate as many as we can so the property owners defense of "taking our property" and "liability issues" can be addressed. Not leasing the small area (which should not have to be leased in the first place) to force the closing of a small family business that serves thousands of sportsmen shows the true colors, greed, and lust for power of these corporations. A banquet type event, similar to a DU event might work well to educate the public and politicians of the true goal of the coalition.

Leaves a lot up for "interpretation"........ "navigate" waters doesn't mean "allowed to fish". You can pass through, but not fish wouldn't really resolve the major issue, in my opinion. I'd rather it say allowed to use for recreational activities and navigate. I see some issue with the hunting leases, because I have been on the other end of the spectrum. I've been in the duck blind before and had boats come in my pond while I'm hunting. I never would have had an issue if I wasn't there hunting. MOST boats would see decoys and never even try to come in, but there's always someone looking to push it. It all boils down to respect for one another. Hopefully a compromise can be made.

2018 21' GatorTrax Strike Series, 250 Yamaha SHO

Quote Originally Posted by TheBoo View Post
    I received a written note from Zee Zeringue stating he was working with Pearson to clear up legal issue in the bill.
    Legal issues like taking care of the people he needs to take care of. Demand to know what issues he is working on. I feel like this dude plays both sides

20XDC / Promax

Well that I don't know.

On this specific instance though with Bob's... There's deep pockets and people with a little stroke that hunt and fish out of Bayou Black. I wouldn't be surprised if this went away between now and next March.

18. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    Yall want a chance to win? Then don't buy a license or spend any money on any outdoor equipment in the State of LA, then and only then will yall have a chance in hell of winning.

19. Member
    Jerry, this is not about property, nobody wants anyone's property. This is about water. We want the same rights we used to have. The same rights the other 49 states have....to access our waterways without being harressed or arrested. As far as compromise goes....you can forget that. A Rep. Gisclair figured it would be good to get both sides together to talk about compromise...February 2017. Went to the Capitol to meet with the La. Landowners Assoc....which is the super rich and powerful group of oil companies and big land companies who formed in the late 80's to amend our laws, which they did....with a wheelbarrow full of money. None of the officers of these companies showed up. We were in a room with dozens and dozens of lawyers. These lawyers told us their clients owned 80% of all the coastal marsh in Louisiana. They owned all the water in this vast area. They owned all the fish and game in this vast area. They said they saw no need to change anything. They could close off anything they wanted at any time. One gave an example of ....fighting them...would be like a pirouge fighting a battleship, and laughed at us. The LSU....Sea Grant team looked at this issue for many months. They looked into any interest to....compromise. There was none. The La. Landowners Assoc....has it all lined up for them to be kings. They see no need to give up anything....sadly. The only way to win back our water rights....is through the voting booth. 90% of the current legislators need to go....starting with the Head of the Natural Resource Commtt....Chaubert. Remember, he said if we did not like the crumbs, move to Texas.

20. Member
    Roc, I understand the issue perfectly. But, the first thing "landowners" are saying to legislators is that this is taking their property and property rights. That is why we have to be very clear on the issue and state often and loud that this is not about land or taking away property rights.

Is there a transcript of that meeting with the landowners assn?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast