Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Besides a massive effort of the part of the fishermen, it will take a financial hit to the state to get attention. How about asking BASS, FLW, BFL, Bass Nation, all the redfish tours and all other bass organizations to write the Governor with the threat of discontinuing tournaments in Louisiana until the issue is satisfactorily resolved? Also, why not claim that their exclusive right to public resources actually increases their property value by the amount equal to the value of those resources and additional taxes are due from the date of the possibly illegal legislative giveaway of public resources? How about having the head of the high school and college bass fishing programs write with information on how many members they represent? I have started writing but the impact is greater from organizations that represent a lot of people and from organizations that pump money into the state. Money winds blow stronger than greater good or right and wrong winds and the politicians bow to the stronger winds.

2. Member
    Actually, someone that represents each of those organizations along with ALBC, Media Bass etc would make a great showing at the hearing. We would need someone like the Lt. Governor to admit there is a problem. Wonder if that will happen. It would be impressive if someone representing BASS would show up and state they have the support and want to get another Classic here. It would bring 25 million in economic impact but they can't do it because the current laws in Louisiana are different from every other state in the country. The organizations mentioned have the ability to state they represent thousands of members, not a few hundred fishermen. So much to try to do by a volunteer group with limited resources. I do hope everyone sees how much has been done so far. Thank you to all that volunteers, it is truly appreciated.

Lets see,,, Lose 25 million in revenue from Bass and other tournaments or lose 75+ billion revenue from the oil and gas industry,,,,,,, hummmm ,, anyone want to guess which one is going to win,, I do admire the fight yall are putting up ,,, but you fellers have one hell of an uphill battle and I'm afraid that there is just no way to realistically win ,, Good Luck

4. Member
    So explain how using waterways will make the oil and gas industry leave again?? The oil and gas industry has done more to destroy the La marsh than recreational boaters could do in a million years. As long as there is oil and gas in the ground they ain't going anywhere. I'm sure the 100 yds of canal they want to close leading to Bayou Black Marina is vital to their profits and operation.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by River-Bandit View Post
    Lets see,,, Lose 25 million in revenue from Bass and other tournaments or lose 75+ billion revenue from the oil and gas industry,,,,,,, hummmm ,, anyone want to guess which one is going to win,, I do admire the fight yall are putting up ,,, but you fellers have one hell of an uphill battle and I'm afraid that there is just no way to realistically win ,, Good Luck
    I don't see it as winning anything. La is near the bottom of the list in just about everything good and top of the list in things that are bad. The current law is a perfect example of this, I guess the other 49 states are all wrong. Just one more list to be on the top of.

Quote Originally Posted by jcdogfish View Post
    So explain how using waterways will make the oil and gas industry leave again?? The oil and gas industry has done more to destroy the La marsh than recreational boaters could do in a million years. As long as there is oil and gas in the ground they ain't going anywhere. I'm sure the 100 yds of canal they want to close leading to Bayou Black Marina is vital to their profits and operation.
    Guess this is directed at me

Never said it would make the oil companys leave ,,,and yes they have destroyed vast amounts of marsh , never said they did not ; and never said closing a 100 yards of canal was vital to there operation,,,

This was the jest of my post ----- You are not going to to win this fight , there is just too much money and special interest involved but i do wish yall all the luck in the world ,,, This deal has no affect on the quality of my life one way or the other , as i Have no problem finding places to fish

I don't see it as winning anything. La is near the bottom of the list in just about everything good and top of the list in things that are bad. The current law is a perfect example of this, I guess the other 49 states are all wrong. Just one more list to be on the top of.
    Wow T ,, Let me try again to explain , you seem to think i am taking sides with the oil companies , I dont have a side or give a chit one way or the other,, just pointing out that you are fighting a loosing battle ,, they just have too much money and influence on their side , and when yall threaten them with loosing 25 million dollars from BASS they are going to laugh you out of the room

But i do wish yall all the luck in the world and i really do admire the fight that you fellers are putting up

And as far as Louisiana being at the bottom of the list,,, I really dont care what list we are on or who wrote it, I love this state and the life I have here ,, the rest of the world can take what ever list they put us on and wipe there ass with it

8. Member
    Sorry if it seems like I was beating on your post, that was not my intent. That's the problem with short answers in a forum, you can't hear the tone in which it was said. Anyway, I don't see it as being about sides,,Its about doing the common sense thing and getting in line with the rest of the country. I agree it is an uphill battle. First obstacle is to find politicians that will try to help the residents of the state instead of selling out to the ones that fill their pockets. Sad thing is, there is room for everyone but no one wants to talk. I do agree 100% with the above post saying if kept private it needs to be taxed as such and not be given the marshland classification discount.

Sorry if it seems like I was beating on your post, that was not my intent. That's the problem with short answers in a forum, you can't hear the tone in which it was said. Anyway, I don't see it as being about sides,,Its about doing the common sense thing and getting in line with the rest of the country. I agree it is an uphill battle. First obstacle is to find politicians that will try to help the residents of the state instead of selling out to the ones that fill their pockets. Sad thing is, there is room for everyone but no one wants to talk. I do agree 100% with the above post saying if kept private it needs to be taxed as such and not be given the marshland classification discount.

10. Member
    It all probably has to happen pretty fast. If someone knows Hackney, maybe he can get BASS involved and if he knows some pros who also fish FLW maybe they can get them involved also. What about the people who put on St Jude, CMN, Angling Against Autism, Tucker, and all the other charity tournaments? What about ALBC? What about the lobbyist for the Louisiana Charterboat Association? I don't know any of these people but past experience tells me that these are the kinds of organizations that can have an impact. The only possible hope against money is volume. Doing what is right to serve the greater good doesn't stand a chance.

11. Member
    Roc, I understand the issue perfectly. But, the first thing "landowners" are saying to legislators is that this is taking their property and property rights. That is why we have to be very clear on the issue and state often and loud that this is not about land or taking away property rights.

Is there a transcript of that meeting with the landowners assn?
    It was at the Capitol, everything there is recorded....now getting it from the state, is another matter...

I personally think this has gotten a lot further than most people thought it would. The key here is going to be if they can withstand the pressure or not. If we only push a couple of years and give up nothing will ever happen. Hopefully LaSC will stay relevant and keep putting pressure on for years to come. I would be shocked if this bill solved our problems. But it’s definitely a step in the right direction to recognizing water as a public thing and educating people on that. Thanks to all of you who have been working with LaSC. You guys can’t be recognized enough

20XDC / Promax

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BStrick View Post
    I personally think this has gotten a lot further than most people thought it would. The key here is going to be if they can withstand the pressure or not. If we only push a couple of years and give up nothing will ever happen. Hopefully LaSC will stay relevant and keep putting pressure on for years to come. I would be shocked if this bill solved our problems. But it’s definitely a step in the right direction to recognizing water as a public thing and educating people on that. Thanks to all of you who have been working with LaSC. You guys can’t be recognized enough
    My hope is this is just the beginning. An organization to represent sportsmen in this state is needed, not just with this issue. As the group can grow and start addressing other issues people are passionate about then the organization will grow membership with it. I think its time to address the long term vision of this organization without loosing focus on this issue. Numbers in membership and diversity is paramount when dealing with politicians.

14. Banned
    Not sure the closing of Bob's is totally related to Williams just wanting to gate the canal. I recall a thread on here in the not so past about the conditions of Bob's going down. I'm with you guys about the problems of landowners gating the canals off and claiming them private. In fact I was involved in this issue many years back. The actual federal law states that any canal dug that has egress and ingress of aquatic wildlife has to have an earthen dam. But the feds would not interfere with the states on this matter. Nor would our wildlife and state police get involved. The main problem here is on the landowners side, they claim that bass fishermen are running across their ponds and then if they
    damage something want to make a claim against them and as someone said on here, run the ponds when they are hunting. Also people breaking into their camps and stealing or destroying private property. Our side is that we should
    have the right to fish in any canal that has been dug and is open to our aquatic wildlife to move in and out of. I can tell you that this is a problem on both sides because you have greed on both sides. Some bass fishermen push the limits and the landowners push back. if we are going to be honest about it, unless we can meet in the middle, nothing is going to change. I think the idea that best fits is to quit giving the landowners any reasons to want to gate off these canals. Make them understand that we can be watchmen for them and report any suspicious activity and stay out of the ponds. Yes landowners are all not good and some are just greedy but fishermen and hunters have the same thing. I myself have had encounters with fishermen who think because they are in a hurry do not have to slow down in a narrow canal where you are fishing and zoom on by. I can understand it if it is in a main water way,but otherwise we need to start respecting the rules of the water. I myself, have at times been guilty of doing things that I know are not right. If you can say you have not ,than great for you. If we want our waters back, we have to show
    that we can make rules that agrees with both parties. Not make stories that are one sided.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikez521 View Post
    Not sure the closing of Bob's is totally related to Williams just wanting to gate the canal. I recall a thread on here in the not so past about the conditions of Bob's going down. I'm with you guys about the problems of landowners gating the canals off and claiming them private. In fact I was involved in this issue many years back. The actual federal law states that any canal dug that has egress and ingress of aquatic wildlife has to have an earthen dam. But the feds would not interfere with the states on this matter. Nor would our wildlife and state police get involved. The main problem here is on the landowners side, they claim that bass fishermen are running across their ponds and then if they
    damage something want to make a claim against them and as someone said on here, run the ponds when they are hunting. Also people breaking into their camps and stealing or destroying private property. Our side is that we should
    have the right to fish in any canal that has been dug and is open to our aquatic wildlife to move in and out of. I can tell you that this is a problem on both sides because you have greed on both sides. Some bass fishermen push the limits and the landowners push back. if we are going to be honest about it, unless we can meet in the middle, nothing is going to change. I think the idea that best fits is to quit giving the landowners any reasons to want to gate off these canals. Make them understand that we can be watchmen for them and report any suspicious activity and stay out of the ponds. Yes landowners are all not good and some are just greedy but fishermen and hunters have the same thing. I myself have had encounters with fishermen who think because they are in a hurry do not have to slow down in a narrow canal where you are fishing and zoom on by. I can understand it if it is in a main water way,but otherwise we need to start respecting the rules of the water. I myself, have at times been guilty of doing things that I know are not right. If you can say you have not ,than great for you. If we want our waters back, we have to show
    that we can make rules that agrees with both parties. Not make stories that are one sided.
    Stop giving landowners reasons to gate off and close canals? LOL.. The fishermen across this state have been sending in pics and sites for 24 months....from the Pearl River to the Sabine River, on many , many areas gated and/or posted keep out. Had meetings in many parishes, and the folks there are fed up, like here. I believe you need to go and talk to these oil companies and big land companies....then come back and tell us about it. I have. The number one reason they will continue to close off areas...is pure greed....and because, they can. As far as meeting in the middle, and compromise, that was tried several times. We met with the La. Landowners Assoc. at the Capitol last year. This is the group formed by the oil and land companies here, after they lost the court case in Mississippi in 87. The told us there is no middle ground nor compromise...they hold all the aces, and it is ...just tough for us. The officers of these companies did not come to this, they sent around 40 of their....lawyers. I thought it was a TV commercial....like they have now running every 5 minutes. Go talk to these folks...that's my advice.

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lakebouef5 View Post
    Stop giving landowners reasons to gate off and close canals? LOL.. The fishermen across this state have been sending in pics and sites for 24 months....from the Pearl River to the Sabine River, on many , many areas gated and/or posted keep out. Had meetings in many parishes, and the folks there are fed up, like here. I believe you need to go and talk to these oil companies and big land companies....then come back and tell us about it. I have. The number one reason they will continue to close off areas...is pure greed....and because, they can. As far as meeting in the middle, and compromise, that was tried several times. We met with the La. Landowners Assoc. at the Capitol last year. This is the group formed by the oil and land companies here, after they lost the court case in Mississippi in 87. The told us there is no middle ground nor compromise...they hold all the aces, and it is ...just tough for us. The officers of these companies did not come to this, they sent around 40 of their....lawyers. I thought it was a TV commercial....like they have now running every 5 minutes. Go talk to these folks...that's my advice.
    You are preaching to the choir Rock. I don't want to see canals gated but no compromise, good luck with that. Latest example of what I am talking about is the four dogs being killed. This isn't fishermen that
    did this or at list I hope not. Was this a gated canal, if not I would bet they will want to gate it. I have a friend who's camp has been broken into now 2 times, has had several high dollar items stolen and destroyed and now he is
    talking about gating his canal. You or I can't fish there anyway because it is off limits where it is located. I cringed when he told me this, but what can I say in defense. That is the point I was trying to make. I said greed had a lot to do with it, but that is not the only problem. I am on your side, but reading your response you act like I am on their side, which I am not. By the way, when I read about Bob's lease not being renewed by Williams I was furious. Then I was told by several fellow fishermen another reason for Williams not renewing the lease. If that is true, the article did not help the cause.

17. Member
    Mike, what was the other reason for Williams not wanting renew if you dont mind me asking?

18. Member
    They are closing and posting all over these 13 coastal parishes....and most of it is not due to people doing stuff there.

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lakebouef5 View Post
    They are closing and posting all over these 13 coastal parishes....and most of it is not due to people doing stuff there.
    Trying to set a precedent?

20. Banned
    I hope the news of B.A.S.S. supporting the Bill HB 391 will help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12