Trolling motor tilted aft on 2016 TRX20

I put an Ultrex 52" shaft on my TRX20. I noticed on the original 45" Fortrex that it was askew and the shaft was tilted the towards the stern. I now have a 52" shaft and it is appears even more pronounced. Also the trolling motor is hard to release to get it out of the water. The tech told me it was because it is not mounted on a level surface. I feel both of these issues are being caused by the dip (downward curvature) in the top cap towards the bow. Has anyone else had or noticed these issues? Does anyone know of a fix? Thanks.

2. Member
    If mounted direct to the bow you may need a quick release mount (or shims) or similar to keep it flush. Just did a Terrova and installed with a MKA-52 bracket on a TR20x, works like a charm. Contact Jones trolling motor board sponsor he can probably assist you on that.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 6BOOMER View Post
    If mounted direct to the bow you may need a quick release mount (or shims) or similar to keep it flush. Just did a Terrova and installed with a MKA-52 bracket on a TR20x, works like a charm. Contact Jones trolling motor board sponsor he can probably assist you on that.
    Do a search on Triton boats with ultrex. Some of us had this same situation.
    Sorry meant for op

4. Member
    I did a search for "Triton boats with ultrex" with no real relevant returns? I mounted my new Ultrex on a 2006 Tr200 X2 and it has a serious forward lean! I am waiting to see what it looks like in the water. If I use a level on the front standing deck on my boat the trolling motor shaft, when deployed must be on a 10+ degree tilt. I was looking at a bunch of diagrams and even Minn Kota shows it on an angle. I never realized that the very front top area(Covered with a Black non slip pad?) that the trolling motor is mounted to is actually not even close to parallel to the main fishing deck. I'm thinking I'll have to machine a plate of 1 inch aluminum from 1 inch to 0 as a shim. Any other options?
    Last edited by Such5; 03-20-2018 at 08:56 AM.

5. Member
    20170123_110149.jpg
    20170310_120451.jpg
    one is of the motor guild 45-inch shaft that was already on boat when I bought it from Triton
    next pic is the ultrex in 52-inch shaft. I ended up going with a ultrex in a 45-inch shaft, works really well.
    you can see both motors arent straight

6. Member
    Yup, that's it! I never noticed it with my Motor Guide so I'm wondering if Minn Kota has built in some angle on purpose so it has compounded the issue? I'm thinking it would make sense that an angle would help pull and control the boat easier while going forward. Which is obviously the direction you are going 99% of the time.

I guess I'm wondering if it matters? If it does I can mill an angle on a piece of aluminum plate the size of the mount and use it to ship the whole unit. Any other ideas?

7. Member
    With boat on water and loaded...trolling motor works just fine.

8. Member
    I see em that way on most all boats. I always had the thought that they might have been built with that inward tilt to compensate for the boat not sittin perfectly level in the water. If they were straight up and down with the boat sittin level on the trailer, then they’d be pointing up when the boat is on the water. This is just a theory and I really don’t know if that’s even close to the reason why.

9. Member
    One of my concerns with the motor having such a pronounced tilt is that you will not be pointing anywhere close to straight down for the fish finder. I like to drop shot a lot and I seem to be having issues seeing my bait on my screen. Even when I set it to 83khz.

10. Member
    One of my concerns with the motor having such a pronounced tilt is that you will not be pointing anywhere close to straight down for the fish finder. I like to drop shot a lot and I seem to be having issues seeing my bait on my screen. Even when I set it to 83khz.

11. Member
    I've seen Ranger boats with ultrex level. Triton boats not so much. Their design is lower. I use mine alot on ky lake and all my same concerns weren't any big deal. But drop shot in won't be dead on in a Triton.But one can always walk around in boat and find a good position while ultrex is in spot lock,which without spot lock having to always have a foot on Trolling motor.This is what I do.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rbjeff View Post
    My solution:

Attached Images Attached Images

13. Member

14. Banned
    MG on my 18XS tilts forward as well. Nothing you can do about it due to the angle of the surface it mounts to. I used an old Lowrance 2D trolling motor transducer mount on my HB transducer to adjust for the trolling motor angle. Works good enough.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Such5 View Post
    I did a search for "Triton boats with ultrex" with no real relevant returns? I mounted my new Ultrex on a 2006 Tr200 X2 and it has a serious forward lean! I am waiting to see what it looks like in the water. If I use a level on the front standing deck on my boat the trolling motor shaft, when deployed must be on a 10+ degree tilt. I was looking at a bunch of diagrams and even Minn Kota shows it on an angle. I never realized that the very front top area(Covered with a Black non slip pad?) that the trolling motor is mounted to is actually not even close to parallel to the main fishing deck. I'm thinking I'll have to machine a plate of 1 inch aluminum from 1 inch to 0 as a shim. Any other options?
    same problem with my 20xs. Can’t see my drop shot. If you shim the transducer it is fine as long as motor is pointed forward. If someone machined an angled piece of aluminum app. 1.25 inches by 18....I would definetly buy one.

16. Member
    I would purchase one also

For those the removed a Fortrex and mounted an Ultrex, did the Ultrex look the same when deployed?
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

18. Member
    So if I level out the front deck of my boat I actually need a wedge that would be 2 inches thick to perfectly level out the trolling motor! Actually for it to be perfectly perpendicular to the front deck. My aluminum supplier did not a any 2" x 6" x 21" but did have 1.500" x 6" x 21 and the material alone would be $145.00! I don't think I'll be doing it that way.