If you could only have 1 Jig trailor / punching rig

So I fish from a kayak and I dont have enough room to take everything and the kitchen sink. I prefer to have enough gear for my pro anger and nothing more. With that said, i am curious what you would carry with you for your jig setup and for your punching rig? Would you be able to use the same or would you prefer a different bait for each. Right now I keep a few packages of rage menace tailors and a few paca chunks in black and blue and a green pumpken. I was halfway thinking of switching to the zoom z craw since it looks like it would work for both applications pretty well.

So with limited space what few packages are you throwing into your bag?

2. Member
    I am going to go a slightly different direction than most of the replies will right off the bat. If you’re looking to limit space I would suggest the Senko, Yum Dinger (or the Z-man “ZINKERZ” rendition of these baits if you don’t like to burn through plastics lol).

This style of bait normally gets most of its attention with wacky rigging, dropshotting and finesse stuff. But when it comes to Jig Trailers and punching, I can assure you this is a dynamite selection especially when they fish are keying on some kind of bait rather than craws.

The advantage of having this bait is there’s SO much you can do with it. You can Flip/Pitch, Punch, Wacky Rig, Dropshot, twitch like a fluke etc etc. And all you need is a bag of baits and your box of terminal tackle.

Not you’re traditional Punch or Trailer type bait, but I can assure you it’s effective if for no other reason than it’s something new most fish don’t see.

On Aric's durability note, also take a look at the Z-Man Palmetto BugZ. It can be used both punching and as a bulky jig trailer. Kind of in the same vein as the Z-Craw you mentioned.
    But will be much more durable, so you won't need to carry many. It's quietly winning quite a few tournaments.

For a more finesse approach, Z-Man Punch CrawZ without a doubt. I use these a lot, even though the only punching available in my state is ice.
    Great subtle jig trailer, punch bait, shaky head, whatever. One of my favorites.

4. Member
    I use Yamamoto Flappin’ Hogs for both punching and jig trailers. They aren’t the most durable baits, but they work on my homie waters.

5. Member
    Menace, killer on Chatterbait, Spinnerbait, swim jig, jig, and punching.

6. Member
    I like the idea for the senko style, never tried using it as a jig trailor before but seems legit. Not buying into punching it though. I feel like i want more action on a punching setup but I'm game to try it anyways. I've been known to be wrong before. i have plenty of yum dingers in my kayak pack at all times.

7. Member
    Uncle josh. All you will ever have to pack is that single jar.

Third plug for something from Z-Man here. The Palmetto BugZ are great for a beaver style bait. I've not tried the Punch CrawZ, but have had a lot of success with the Boar HogZ. Slim profile that will penetrate mats and other cover very well, and the claws have a ton of action. Works great on its own, as a jig trailer, or even on a Ned rig. I'll usually trim down the length when using as a jig trailer or on the Ned. A 2/0 or 3/0 hook seems to be a good size for Texas rigging the Boar HogZ, while I'll usually go 5/0 for the Palmetto BugZ. The best thing is that all the Elaztech stuff will float even a heavy wire hook up off the bottom, so you don't have your soft plastic getting buried in the muck on the bottom. I've noticed I get a lot more bites on them while on the bottom than I do with other baits.

If I had to pick one, the Boar HogZ is it, no question for me.

The one word of caution I'd offer is that the Z-Man baits like to slide off of a hook, especially if you throw them on an offset style. Two solutions, both of which work very well: 1) Put a dab of super glue on the offset when threading the bait on. It'll hold it there and the bait will last forever. 2)Use a hook with a "grip pin" or install one onto your favorite hook yourself. There are a lot of good videos out there showing how to do it...I believe Aaron Martens has one that's very good.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OG honeybadger View Post
    I like the idea for the senko style, never tried using it as a jig trailor before but seems legit. Not buying into punching it though. I feel like i want more action on a punching setup but I'm game to try it anyways. I've been known to be wrong before. i have plenty of yum dingers in my kayak pack at all times.
    I use it in the heaviest of mats that bulkier baits have a harder time getting through. The slim profile gets into unthinkable places and with a lighter wight. I can punch a Senko on a 3/4 oz weight in the same stuff it would take a 1.5 oz weight with a creature bait. As far as action, once you figure out the right "yoyo" style cadence, this thing is like a dancing eel under the water. They absolutely can't stand it!

10. Member
    You don’t want something with a lot of appendages or curly tails for truly punching through vegetation. It’ll hang up on the grass too much. One solid bait that’s a great jig trailer and punch bait is the old Chigger Craw. You can also use it on a shakey head or on a weighted swimbait hook and swim it. Or burn it across the top

11. Member
    Mr. SuperBass sooperswim jig with a Rage craw trailer. I swim it, bottom fish it, flip with it, skip it, and have caught fish each way.
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    2019 Mercury 250 ProXS 4S
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades
    Lowrance HDS Live 12
    Lowrance HDS Live 9

12. Member
    A Strike King Rage Lobster. They are larger than the Rage Craw or Baby Craw. But because of the longer body you can bite/cut it down to fit any jig or punching weight. I use them for/on Jigs, T-rigs, C-rigs, Swim Jig trailers, Chatter-baits and Spinnerbaits. They are the only trailer type plastic I carry in my go bag, when I have to fish in my partners boat or a boat belonging to someone else.

13. Member
    zoom super chunk jr. for jig trailer and a Missle baits D-Bomb for pitching/punching. Also if you need a bigger profile or more of a glide to your jig use the D-bomb as a trailer.

14. Banned
    I like the idea for the senko style, never tried using it as a jig trailor before but seems legit.

You might also look at the SwimSenko. This works great by it's lonesome and as a swimjig trailer.

When You get to the 'Swimbaits' These are great and flap at the lowest of speeds. If Your 'feedfish' (what the Bass eat) have any kind of Silver coloring then look at the "Houdini" color. The belly on the Houdini will 'flash' when stalled. The StrikeKing™ Swim-N-Shiner™ also flaps at 'low speed' Great for the colder water.

https://baitsforsale.com/index.php/bdb-5-swim-ripper/ Both the Large and Small flap. **** CON/DRAWBACK- These are made w/some kind of stinky scent that is baked in and are extremely STINKY. I have them triple bagged Original in a gal. in a gal. all closed.