2001 Opti 225 performance upgrades

I'm looking for an outboard performance shop in or near Iowa that I can work with to make performance upgrades to my motor if those are even possible on the one I have. I've tried to research this topic and it's all over the place so I need a place to call or if somebody on here has time to give me options in this forum I'd gladly take it here as well.

So far all I've done to the motor is some TDR reeds which are amazing and a Bob's Hydro jackplate. Looking to do more.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please see the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info when posting. Thanks!

TDR Reeds, Rail/Injector Service, and make sure the engine is sound, and up to date on service. Then perhaps work on your prop, setup, pad, etc.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    You can spend a bunch of money with a lightened flywheel from Simon and ECM programming...but it wont help that much. I wanted to do the same thing years ago and figured out that the porting and such in the block wont allow you much more horsepower. The programming will raise the rev limiter so you can re-prop the motor to get into the 5900 rpm range where the motor will make a little more horsepower. That's an old motor...you really want to start running it hard? If you want high power high RPM motor, then I will have a 2006 225ProXS up here for sale soon. Stock 6000RPM rev limiter and completely fresh rebuild. I will also have 2005 225 2.5XS available soon. That is a stock 6800RPM motor. If you want to get the most out of a 225, then sell your old standard Opti and spend the 8k for one of these fresh high power high rpm motors.