BBC SPONSOR

Cobra w/250 Pro XS ??

Anyone running a 201 with a Merc 250 Pro XS?? Just ordered one for my boat, wanting to know what to expect speed wise and maybe prop size.... THX
    Lance Stringer
    http://impulserods.com/

2. Member
    Close to or above 80 imo.

3. Member
    I would say mid 70's at best.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sports1 View Post
    Close to or above 80 imo.
    That seems really dreamy....

Some of the 201s weren't sealed well when they joined the top cap to the hull, so it depends on how much water intrusion you have had and if the hull in now quite a bit heavier than when it was new. As long as you are getting a new motor, put a 12" jp on it. One board member had experimented with several props and jp setups, said 12" gave him thebest hole shot and he could get the front end to lift, which these boats tend to run pretty flat.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FastBird View Post
    That seems really dreamy....
    Top speed of a 201 with a 250 Pro XB was 81.2.

http://web.archive.org/web/200102012...viperboats.com

7. Member
    I put a 250 xs on my 201 and I can get 73 with tourney load and two guys. Just me and empty wells I have hit 78. I am running a 25p three blade tempest. Hope this helps.

8. BBC SPONSOR
    Thanks, guys... I hope to have it installed next week... I was thinking mid 70s but have heard of some running 80ish. I do have a new 10" hydraulic jack plate, Hull Speed on the hull and a buddy let me borrow a 26 fury to test...
    It ran consistent 73 with a Johnson 225 HO, an 8" jack plate and no Hull Speed...
    Lance Stringer

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ImpulseRods View Post
    Thanks, guys... I hope to have it installed next week... I was thinking mid 70s but have heard of some running 80ish. I do have a new 10" hydraulic jack plate, Hull Speed on the hull and a buddy let me borrow a 26 fury to test...
    It ran consistent 73 with a Johnson 225 HO, an 8" jack plate and no Hull Speed...
    My 2002 201 I had would do 70-74 depending weather and load with a 26 trophy and 225 std opti. With the cobra hull being a neutral lifting more flat running boat, I don't think the Fury is a great prop overall for that hull. I would bet a trophy, bravo, or tempest would be your friends here for all around performance.

10. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat29 View Post
    My 2002 201 I had would do 70-74 depending weather and load with a 26 trophy and 225 std opti. With the cobra hull being a neutral lifting more flat running boat, I don't think the Fury is a great prop overall for that hull. I would bet a trophy, bravo, or tempest would be your friends here for all around performance.
    thanks riverrat29... I did not buy a prop with the motor for that very reason... I have a Bravo and a Tempest lined up to try out also... I heard the Furys don't like stumps and in East Texas, we have a few of those...
    Lance Stringer

Hi Lance, just for comparison sake I too have a 250 ProXB on a 12 inch plate with a stock 25 Trophy on my '99 single console 201.
    All else being equal...250 HP is 250HP, although I believe I've read that the XB has a 280HP rating. I'm not certain but I suspect that the Pro XS has a few hidden ponies as well.
    Sooooo for my setup...2 guys, tourney load and half tank of fuel, I flirt with 74mph GPS.
    Alone with same load and setup I'm right around 78-79mph GPS at WOT.
    That being said...that's damn fast!!! I find a HUGE difference when you go from 70-72 to 75 and up. It seems so much faster than just a couple mph's!
    Anyway, I adore my rig. Engine not withstanding, the 201 Cobra configuration, with that mile long front deck and acres of storage, is what I love.
    Good luck with your new motor!
    Cheers.
    2000 VIPER COBRA 201D /225 Merc EFI SER: 0T054298
    Where does the white go when the snow melts?

12. Member
    I just bought a 2000 201d with a 2012 250 pro xs he said when he first put it on it was pegging the rev limiter and was running 79 easy with 25 pitch tempest but I'm getting ready try a 26 and raise it about an inch to see what it does. It has amazing all around throttle response. He had it setup for night fishing.

13. BBC SPONSOR
    I have had my boat since 99, and I love it... been playing with it for the last year or so, still have a few mods left to do...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ImpulseRods; 03-22-2018 at 09:17 PM.
    Lance Stringer

14. Member
    [QUOTE=250 HP is 250HP, although I believe I've read that the XB has a 280HP rating. I'm not certain but I suspect that the Pro XS has a few hidden ponies as w

[/QUOTE]

XB and PXS in two different leagues. XB eat a PXS for dinner.....