Follow up on livewell pumps tripping the breaker

On my 2017 multi species it has 1 livewell with 2 pumps. Both pumps are on 1 rotary switch with the option of running pump 1, 2 or both. Each pump draws 3 amps and there was a 4 amp breaker that was popping each time I tried running both pumps. I took the boat back to the dealer and the mechanic said the 4 amp was to small so they installed a 10 amp breaker. I have ran the pumps and although the breaker will not pop, I still have a pump that shuts off while the other keeps running. If I turn the pump off and on it starts working again but eventually shuts off again, but the breaker never pops.I know there was concern that the 10 amp might be to big, but while filling the livewell I would hold the wiring going into the breaker and they never even got warm. I ask the dealer to call Triton and they did and Triton said that the vendor is sending out a 7 amp breaker to replace the 4 amp that was originally installed. Do you think it’s OK to leave the 10 amp in since the wires are not getting hot? Also, older Triton schematics with boats running 2 pumps with the same switch have a 10 amp breaker. Thanks

2. Member
    You have a pump issue and that pump shutting off is the reason that the 4amp breaker is tripping. Oversizeing the breaker is masking the problem and is a potentially dangerous thing to do. Eventually smoke and flames may occur, since you are protecting a 3amp pump with a 10 amp breaker.

There is a wiring issue, or defective pump, that causes the pump to just shut off. My bet is the pump is defective. You simply can't go by how boats were built in the past, to judge what breaker to use.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    You have a pump issue and that pump shutting off is the reason that the 4amp breaker is tripping. Oversizeing the breaker is masking the problem and is a potentially dangerous thing to do. Eventually smoke and flames may occur, since you are protecting a 3amp pump with a 10 amp breaker.

There is a wiring issue, or defective pump, that causes the pump to just shut off. My bet is the pump is defective. You simply can't go by how boats were built in the past, to judge what breaker to use.
    I understand what you are saying but when you have 2- 3 amp pumps running at the same time on the same single 4 amp breaker, isn’t that to much? I do agree that something is wrong with the pump that keeps shutting off. Triton told the dealer that they are sending out a 7 amp breaker to replace the 4 amp that was originally installed.

4. Member
    Or is that pump on a timer? Does it turn back on by itself?
    2015 189 trx

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by z7extreme View Post
    Or is that pump on a timer? Does it turn back on by itself?
    No it doesn’t turn back on. I do have 2 recirculating pumps that are on timers and they work fine.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Erie660 View Post
    I understand what you are saying but when you have 2- 3 amp pumps running at the same time on the same single 4 amp breaker, isn’t that to much? I do agree that something is wrong with the pump that keeps shutting off. Triton told the dealer that they are sending out a 7 amp breaker to replace the 4 amp that was originally installed.
    The pumps are not drawing that much amperage. The amperage rating listed on the pump is the fuse size to protect the pump, incase it has debris in the impeller that would prevent it from turning. Fuses and breakers are sized to protect the components, pumps, switches, timers,and wiring. When you oversize the protection limit bad things happen.

7. Member
    Sounds like you have a bad pump motor. Oversizing the breaker is not a great idea.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Harris View Post
    Sounds like you have a bad pump motor. Oversizing the breaker is not a great idea.
    Ahhhhh...somebody else understands electricity.