Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar

Braided line and memory

I have never used braid but was recently told there is little to no memory at all. Is this true? I do 99 percent of my fishing just plain ole vertical jigging. After a while of that no matter what kind of line I use i have some memory. Its not bad and I can make a couple long cast and get it out and then go back to my vertical jigging. Who all uses braid and if there is memory do you find it better than mono? I currently have all my crappie rigs rigged up with MR. CRAPPIE and BONEHEAD line. I have no complaints on either aside from the normal memory issues.

2. Member
    I use nothing but braid. I use Power pro 5/1, and Fireline Crystal 6/2. I like both lines but the Crystal excels a little better for casting applications. I have not had any issues others sometimes speak of. This year I am experimenting on a couple rods with Fireline Ultra 8 Carrier in 6 lb and Seaguar Finesse 5.2 pound test. After using them for awhile i will report on those lines.

3. Member
    I think a lot of the twist/memory issues when vertical jigging come into play for one or two primary reason. One is that the plastic attached is not dead centered, and two, that the rod tip may be going down faster than the jig--creating a bit of slack. Combined these two make for spiraling of the bait and, therefore, twist/coils/memory issues. Braid just doesn't show the effects of twist. It has it's own issues at times. I use the same lines as you in 4 lb mostly. One with PP 10. I have seen guys put a split shot above their jig for weight to eliminate the created slack when dipping, esp deeper water. Good luck.

4. Member
    The Seaguar Finesse i'm playing with is actually 5.2 kg or 11.4 pound test, it may be a little heavier than I like. I also have some 8 pound 832 i use. The lines i currently use also have different sinking rates for lighter lures. Anything over 3/16 oz weight seems to take the sink rate out of the equation.

Power Pro Slick in Hi-Vis yellow with a Red Label flouro leader. Crappie to 3.17, bass to 9 lbs, flatheads and blues to 34 lbs. No memory, no stretch, the feel is awesome. I fished the exact same jig all summer long last year and re-tied twice and I fish a ton of timber, brushpiles and concrete bridge pilings. I fish 3 to 4 times a week all summer long.

I won't fish again till May...chasing thunderchickens for the next few weeks.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

6. Member
    I had to look up what a thunderchicken was and came across this link!! Somebody was butthurt!

http://www.outdoornews.com/2013/04/2...underchickens/

Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    I had to look up what a thunderchicken was and came across this link!! Somebody was butthurt!

http://www.outdoornews.com/2013/04/2...underchickens/
    LOL..OK..Wild Turkeys. I been ate up hunting these things since I was a child.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

8. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Thanks for all the replies. I may end up giving the power pro a try.

9. Member
    My cuz and I have switched over to power pro on the majority of all of our poles from bass to gill and crappie to cat poles. In my opinion you will be very happy with it. Try 1 pole that you use the most to make sure. It isn’t cheap but it lasts forever. My favorite setup I found on this forum. It’s my bluegill/crappie bobber pole with 6lb braid with everything made up on the braid except for the hook. Tie a 1-2’ 4lb leader on with the hook. Leader breaks off in the thick stuff. Retie a new leader and hook. Awesome idea whoever came up with it. I did use spiderwire a couple times when it first came out with no luck. Never went back. Good luck.