1984 Livewell Question

Hello,

This is my 3rd or so post since joining in February with my new to me 84 18ft Champ. I have a question on the operation of the livewell system, I have a owners manual for an 87 or 88 and it give you a brief explaination but I just want to get a better idea of the operation. I have the two push/pull control knobs next to the drivers seat which I think is to open the valves to allow water pump in and looking in the bilge area the aerator pump T's to both the valves and it looks like theirs two other hoses T'd together going out of the transom. So according to the manual you push in the knobs to allow for water pump in, so my question is when you pull out the knobs is that for the aeration process? Also would I have to plug the drain's in the livewell's to keep them from draining? Once it gets a little warmer up here in chicago I plan on heading out to the lake and see just how they operate, but i need to replace the aerator pump being it's toast. Thanks!!

2. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    The push/pull knobs are for the livewell drain valves. Out is valves closed, in is valves open to drain.

3. Member
    It has been a long time since I have been the bilge, but as I recall the aerator pump takes suction from the line which serves as the livewell drains/supply. It is TEE'D into the hose on the lake side of the shut-off valves. When the shut-off valves are closed they prevent water from traveling in either direction, in or out, through the livewell drain holes. This does not shut off water supply to the aerator pump.

When the aerator pump is turned on it takes suction from that hose which is still open to lake water. It pumps that water to each live-well through the aerator spray bar in the top of each live well. The other tee'ed together lines are the livewell overflow lines which carry excess water back out of the boat. The aerator pump can be operated with the drain valves opened or closed.

Something else to remember is that if you have fish in the live well(s), keep the drain valves closed when running on plane. A long run back to weigh-in may drown your limit of ______'s in Air. Your water may all be gone when you get there. Ask me how i know.

4. Member
    Aw, thanks pops. So the aerator pump does connect to the shut-off valves, but i'm still a little confused so the shut-off valves allow water in from the lake when closed like a one-way check valve and full flow in either direction with opened? I don't have a third port connected on the valves just in from the lake and out to the livewells. Also I thought the overflow's were ported out on the starboard side via thru-hull ports, I have one up front and one in back. Think I'm confusing myself??

5. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Overflow is down below water line, near bilge drain plug and livewell intake.

6. Member
    on my 1984 there are 2 push/pulls beside the drivers seat. on mine in closes the valve- out opens. if you open it you will fill with water up to the outside level of the lake. you should also have an aerator switch(auto/manual and maybe a timer knob) that can pump water in from the outside. couple of warnings pops is right if you run with valve open it will suck all of the water out, if you run the aerator constantly you can overflow the livewell by pumping water in faster than the overflow can get it out.
    Jeremy From Indy
    2019 PolarKraft TX 195 Pro
    2019 Suzuki 200SS

7. Member
    great thanks everyone for the help!