Thread: fuel lift pump

fuel lift pump

I went take my boat out to test the new jack plate I put on and I had some issues. The motor seemed sluggish at first, but not really too bad. After a few minutes, the alarm came on and I lost power. My smartcraft gauge showed "fuel lift pump not working properly". I tried a few times and the engine did not want to start. I put the trolling motor down and headed back to the launch. I tried it about 30 min later and it would just idle. I'm assuming the fuel pump went bad, but is there any other things that can cause this alarm? 2014 Mercury 115hp 4-stroke serial # 2B078051

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes- a fuel supply restriction (or lack of fuel) can cause this.

Good idea to inspect supply lines carefully (and verify you actually have fuel in the tank). Restricted fuel filter is another possibility.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor