Thread: 250 HPDI

250 HPDI

Hey all, looking for a little help...likely going to be purchasing a boat with a 2007 250 HPDI this weekend and was wondering if this was a "series 2" HPDI? I am new to yamaha motors so dont know squat about them...what is the difference between a series 2 and just a regular HPDI? Also I was wondering how much this motor is worth if I were to purchase only the motor? it had 249 hours on it..any info is appreciated, thanks!

2. Member
    I think the cowling will say series 2 on it, if it actually has the decals on it. I'm sure others will advise how to check via the number or something. Since you're new to Yamaha... they usually run/burn clean and you will want to really make sure you make sure injectors are in good shape. Also run a fuel and injector cleaner as they are a little sensitive. They are awesome motors... regular maintenance of course is a must. The one negative thing to know and that you will hear or read about is that the HPDI's have had an issue with roasting pistons. Usually #1 or #2 from what I've seen around and been told by a couple techs. I have a 2006 HPDI 250 that came new on my iclass, which I bought with 48 hours on it. I did not have 1 single problem with my motor until about 510 hours when I lost cylinder #1 due to piston failure. Many years and lots of beating that thing took before failing. I never used any fuel additives and got over 9 yrs before a problem.. I was told that good chance would not have happened if using an injector cleanser... bad injector caused cylinder to run lean... BAD!!
    Still LOVE the motor