Optimax De-Wnterize

Hey guys,

I have a 150HP Optimax - stored outside under wrap for the winter. Before I stored it I did the recommended service - Stabilized the fuel, changed the gear case oil, however I only managed to remove 3 of the 6 plugs and add oil to the cylinders - I know this is not ideal but I ran out of time, and had to fly to Europe that night - the bottom two plugs are really tricky and I didn't want to break them off - need to remove the bottom cowl I guess but that looks tricky too.

Looking for suggestions on how to wake this thing up (hopefully sometime in the next month).

Should I bother trying to remove the two lower plugs or is it too late now? Just start it up?

Also - someone recommended adding a dash of oil to the compressor - any ideas on where I would put this? Air Intake?

All suggestions and comments welcome!

Dennis

2. Member
    I like to put 8 - 10 drops of oil in the compressor inlet, you'll see it when you remove the filter housing, and then with heavy gloves, rotate the compressor several times to thoroughly distribute the oil in the cylinder. The gloves help in rotating after compressor builds pressure, it's difficult, but not impossible.

Removing the lower cowling is not difficult and is the best way to obtain unrestricted access to plugs, it also provides access to the compressor strainer which should at least be checked annually. The hose on the strainer uses a radius head zip tie, be sure to replace with the same.

I'd suggest you run through the list of things recommended for annual service taking note of the time or hours whichever comes first (spark plugs and water pump in particular) - Recommended Annual Maintenance or Winterization for Optimax Engines

Hope that helps.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax