Gas smell in rod locker (tr196) fix!

I値l start off saying this site has paid huge dividends on fixing issues from trolling motors to big motor and Everton between, I知 pumped to finally post something that will help out others! Since I bought my 2004 196, the gas fumes in my rod lockers and compartments were something I just sorta lived with. I finally did the expanding foam method from the sticky post in the Triton forum. I was leary of adding the extra vent covers as some had done, when taking off the passenger rod holder, I noticed two small drain plugs and thought why not add about 10 more! So I took a 5/16 inch bit and went to town. The end result is no more gas fumes, I can now keep plastics rigged without the superstition of them smelling like gas! The front storage compartment closest to the trolling motor tray was all but useless for storeing anything as well, I crawled in there (I知 a skinny guy!) and notice the 6 inch hole cut out for the drains from the seat screw in holes. I had some thick closed cell foam and cut it to fit with a one inch hole to run the tubing through. I also made a small rubber stopper to plug the small drain plug in the bottom. This took the gas smell out overnight, I can now store lifejackets, rain gear, and soft plastics without them coming out smelling like a Phillips 66! I値l snap a few pics and try and upload them, haven稚 had a ton of luck doing this here, so pm me and I can text them if needed. Hope this helps somebody dealing with this issue!

2. Member
    Nice to hear. Did u have to fill in the front of the lockers with foam or just the back (closest to console)

3. Member
    I did the back with foam, the front you really can’t do in my case with the rod tubes. I did fill in all the gaps surrounding the front tube assembly with foam, don’t know if it makes a difference but it won’t hurt.

4. Member
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Member
    Thx! Like u I have been living with it and dreaded drilling out the vent in the glass. How noticeable are the holes in the passenger rod holder? I have a dual console and that holder is kind of under it so I知 thinking they wouldn稚 be seen.

6. Member
    Even with a single console, you’d have to look inside to see.

7. Member
    I'm trying to figure out exactly where the piece is with all the drilled holes? And the fact I'm not that skinny and a tricky back that doesn't like contortions. Just laying on my back to get up under the truck dash for a few minutes gets me a visit to the backcraker...but I'd be willing to give this a shot. I end up Turing all the handles on the compartments where they won't close, just to get it to vent. I'm afraid I'll find a rats nest in there one day...

8. Member
    Ok, so the black plastic is the butt end rod holder of the passenger side? And you just removed it and drilled the holes, as well as some expanding foam clear up at the end of the main rod holder, which requires the removal of the tubed end in the front compartment, or is it foaming back behind the butt end of the passenger rod holder, once you pull that out?

9. Member
    Dbs1, exactly as you stated above. 4 screws in the passenger rod holder, when it’s off you can access the rear of the rod locker where you’ll see the gap. You’ll also have to work some foam into the inside of the locker in the corner where the gap is. The sticky post at the top of this triton forum has a great detailed step by step. You can access the forward hole in the forward deck tackle compartment by removing the front dash cover where your trolling motor plugs into. Hope this helps, it’s worth the effort!

10. Member
    All done, but the front spot. I'll hit it when I'm back in there again installing a new unit.

11. Member
    Let us know if it helps! Probably attacking mine tomorrow.

12. Member
    Worked on mine this weekend. I can tell noticeable difference in the passenger side rod locker however I can稚 tell any difference in the starboard side rod locker. I think this may be due to not having and additional vent on the starboard side. I知 also going to try and do a better job of getting the top of the rod locker sealed off where it meets the gunnel

13. Member
    I知 gonna tackle this before long. I知 thinking of adding a vent in the rod holder and another vent maybe in the driver side cup holder. I see all kinds of pre made vents available. Thanks for the tips!

14. Member
    rod tubes on mine would have to be sealed with foam also to work on rod side box. drivers side box is also open up at bow area. my boat has vents from factory in boat and still smells like gas. my lockers on both side have sealed closed in backs. doesnt help. im going to try and foam the rod tube ends and close off the other locker in front of drivers side with foam.

Last edited by billproxs; 04-19-2018 at 02:16 PM.

15. Member
    Helped some on port side locker. Did nothing for starboard side.