How do I get vessel on my Garmin 840xs to point in the direction I am heading?

I went out and hook up unit first time on my boat. Two questions, how do I get the vessel in GPS to point direction I am headed. Also when I turned the unit on, it had me near Punta Rasa and an X. When I move to where I have the boat, it showed the vessel. How will it show my location, will it show when I start moving. Also when I want to go to waypoint, should I just pick the waypoint and direct it to Go to? thanks for any help

2. Member
    Go to fishing charts, then menu, then settings. Change orientation to "heads up" to get the icon to point in the direction you are going.
    When you turned the unit on, it probably hadn't acquired all the satellite signals, thus placed an X and had you near "wherever" (last location?).
    It will show your location once the satellites are acquired and you start moving.
    Go into waypoints, select navigate to waypoint and select your waypoint. On the touch screen models you can touch the screen and select navigate to it, you may be able to move the cross hair to a place on the map and navigate to it (been to long since I had echomap to remember).
    ><((((º>`·._ .·´¯><((((º>`·. _ .·´¯·. ><((((º>

3. Member
    Appreciate your input, makes sense and will try in the morning, thank you

Quote Originally Posted by coach76 View Post
    [LEFT][COLOR=#000000][FONT=verdana]Also when I turned the unit on, it had me near Punta Rasa and an X. When I move to where I have the boat, it showed the vessel. How will it show my location, will it show when I start moving.
    You may have your cursor (crosshairs) up on the screen. If so, you must remove the cursor for the unit to show your current position.
    Garmin Pro Team

5. Member
    I might have had them up, I am not sure. I went in and change to course up and put in a waypoint and all went well. I really like the unit, now I need in hull transducer for it. Guys say to get the GT15 more power, I was looking at the GT8. I also need to make sure where in my stern it will work. Looked in by livewell pumps seems like its not fiberglass. Also tried to find the in hull lowrance at dash, need to use more light. Let me know your thoughts. And thank you