1997 Fast Strike maintenance after sitting two years

I have a 1997 Johnson Fast Strike (J175GLEUC/SN G 04321265) that has been sitting for about 2 years. It ran great when I parked it and was checked by a local mechanic with compression test in 2013 and there were no issues.

I used 100% gas with Evinrude 2+4 additive and mixed it 50:1 with Evinrude XD50. The lower unit was replaced in 2012, so the water pump was changed then, but there has little run time on it. Also replaced fuel line and primer in 2013 and they seem to be okay.

I started and ran it in October and it ran well with no issues. I started it again in December on an extremely cold day and it was a little slow to start then it back fired once and started running okay again. Since I have had it (2012), nothing else has been done (decarbonize, spark plugs, etc.).

I am planning to replace gear case oil and impeller. I am also thinking I should drain the old fuel and replace fuel filter.

Does anything else need to be done or checked?

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by bigorange1; 03-12-2018 at 08:59 PM.

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Sounds like you have a handle on things you should be fine with your maintenance plan. New plugs would be a good idea too. Happy boating.

3. Member
    Thank you very much Championman. I really appreciate your time. I just noticed you're in Crawfordville(?). If that's the town I think it is, we have been through there many times on the way to Panacea. That's one of my family's favorite areas.
    Thanks again.

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    That's correct, Panacea a drinking village with a fishing problem.