Thread: XI5. Question

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

XI5. Question

For the those that have one how do you like it? I am thinkiing about purchasing one.

X15 paper graph?? I loved mine, should have taken it off before I sold that boat.

I had 50 rolls of paper, so I never had an issue. A friend of mine that lives on Table Rock has his mounted to a board and leaves the transducer on the T Motor, he only uses it when fishing deep.

3. Member
    Buddy had one on his boat! Don't even think about it get the ULTREX

4. Member
    It does everything it advertises it can do. He foot pedal takes a few trips to get the hang of it and stowing it is a bit of a pain but I have been happy with mine.

5. Member
    It definitely has a better price point than the Ultrex. Does the spot lock work pretty well on it?

6. Banned
    Spot lock seemed to work ok the day I tried one. The pedal though...lord it’s terrible...

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sports1 View Post
    It definitely has a better price point than the Ultrex. Does the spot lock work pretty well on it?
    I had one for two years and worked well, spot lock was very good. I hated the stowing and deployment, went to Ultrex and never looked back.

8. Member
    As far as deploying it and retrieving it how does it work as far as step by step?

Sports1, I was in the market for an XI5 or Terrova until I started watching videos on deploying and stowing. In rough water standing on the bow to deploy and stow just didn't seem like a good idea to me. I went with the Minn Kota Ulterra. More money yes, but with auto stow and deploy as well as auto trim, I don't have to get near the bow to work the motor. Just a suggestion.

Good luck with your choice.

Here is a youtube on the Xi5

Here is the Ulterra

Pat Leach

USAF MSgt Retired

1992 Procraft 180 Pro
    2016 Mercury 150 Four Stroke
    2018 Minn Kota Ulterra
    Helix 7 SI/GPS
    Helix 7 Sonar/GPS

10. Member
    I ran one for several years on two different boats. Bottom line: Everyone is sort of correct. The foot pedal is crap, if you're trying to use it like a cable steer motor. The entire point to the Xi5 though, is to NOT use it like a cable steer motor. Use the remote, clip it to a belt loop on a retractable lanyard. Then, use heading lock to troll down the bank you're looking to fish. Use the remote or the dial on the pedal to set the speed, and then only tap on the foot pedal to make small steering corrections to the motor. If you're trying to fish it like a cable steer motor standing like Captain Morgan holding down the momentary button with your foot, it's going to suck. When you want to stop, hit the anchor button on the pedal. The spot lock works outstanding. I've not used an Ultrex, but I have a hard time believing that the anchor feature can work that much better than an Xi5. I was able to use it on windy days where the outgoing tide would push the boat 2mph on its own, and the Xi5 would hold me in place where I could fish a laydown without issues.

All that being said, I still have my Xi5 but it's off my boat currently and a Tour is on there. The only reason that I've done so is for battery life purposes and because I've added 10' Talons to my setup. The Xi5, and I suspect the Ultrex as well, are going to eat into your battery life just due to the motor being on more often. On a lake it wasn't really a problem, but I fish tidal rivers a lot, so by 3pm some days my trolling motor would be dead as a hammer.

People talk about not wanting to take their hands off the rod to use the remote, but I can tell you from experience after a few trips getting the hang of it, it is not an issue at all. Can you use your TV remote in the dark? Seriously there are like 6 or 8 buttons on it. You'll learn to hit one quick without looking in no time. I fished with it for 3 seasons, and I can honestly say I never lost a fish on account of the trolling motor. I still have it sitting on my shelf as a spare in my garage, and wouldn't think twice about hooking it up if I needed to.

Edit to add: I never had a big issue with the stow and retrieve either. Some people have added some sort of bike handle to theirs to make it easier, but I never saw the need. Again, it was just a process you get down after a few repetitions. I never fell in, and never felt like it was any more of a danger with the Xi5 than anything else.
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    2019 Mercury 250 ProXS 4S
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades
    Lowrance HDS Live 12
    Lowrance HDS Live 9

I've had mine for two seasons and love it
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

12. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Don't waste your time or money get an Ultrex and be done with it, you wont regret your purchase.

I would regret it.
    I don't want to Cable steer motor. If I was to go in that direction I would get the ulterra.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

I don't have any problem stow/deploy and can't understand those that say they do. I've never felt I was gonna fall off the boat. Ive had plenty of cable steers and no desire for another.

I am on season 2 with my xi5 easy to pick up and down stow,,, I only use the remote and have no issues,,, have the foot pedal on the boat but it doesnt get used. As far as the Anchor mode it blows the Minn Kota away . Fished out of my buddies this weekend he has an Ultrex we moved around like I couldnt believe and again you have the cable in the way as there is no cable with the Xi5 . Ultrex is beefier and feels solid. No regrets with my Xi5 actually love it. So much more room up front on the deck. I did buy a Ram mount to attach to the deck to keep the shaft from bouncing around when I run. Good luck .
    Chris Beverly
    2005 Champion 206 Mercury Verado 275!!!

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
    I don't have any problem stow/deploy and can't understand those that say they do. I've never felt I was gonna fall off the boat. Ive had plenty of cable steers and no desire for another.
    Im with ya, stow and deploy is simple, If you cant bend over its probably time to get off the water to begin with. And you still have to bend over to grab the pull rope on a normal troller. Had mine going on 4 years now, wouldnt ever go back
    Andy

2004 Pro Craft 192 SuperPro

Ultrex!!

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    Don't waste your time or money get an Ultrex and be done with it, you wont regret your purchase.
    Nah , I didn’t waste my time or my money . Xi5 all the way ..

19. Member
    Bought mine last July before a trip to Mn. Couldn't Justify the big dollars for Minn Kota and with 3 people in the boat I wanted to be able to clear the front deck and fish with a remote. My review is as such: Foot pedal was hard to get used to, maybe still haven't. Mostly use the remote and really like it. Pedal eats batteries! Called MG yesterday and have to take to a service cente which is 60 miles away. They're aware there's a problem. Service centers on their website is way out of date, better just to call, though I had nice conversations with 2 retired trolling motor mechanics LOL. Make sure you get a 60 amp breaker or prepare for intermittent high speed stoppage. 60A Breaker fixes that. Stow and deploy not too bad, you get used to it. Got the 54" as thats all they had at the time and it gets in the way of my rod locker when stowed. Shorter would have been better but oh well. The positives? Spot lock and Auto Pilot are FABULOUS! 80 LB will pull my 18' Stratos at 2 MPH. PRICE was less than half an Ultrex with free shipping on Ebay. Sonar works well for my Elite 7. Love the lack of cables on the deck. Goes throgh weeds like a madman with my Ninja GB installed.
    Conclusion? I'd buy it again. I'll get the bugs worked out but for now, very happy for the price. Would I like to have an Ultrex? You bet. Bu I'd also like all new Kistler's and Zillions, sitting in my brand new Ranger's rod lockers.
    1995 Stratos 275 Pro XL
    1995 150 Fastrike
    MG Xi5

20. Member
    I like my Xi5. Foot control sucks. I usually don't even have it on deck. bdubz0r described how I use it perfectly. I actually liking not having a pedal on the deck. Removes a lot of clutter. When I bought it, it was the most accurate Anchor mode/spot lock. It was a life saver when fishing with the wife and kids in the wind. MK has caught up. I will be buying a new boat shortly and it will have an Ultrex on it. The size and weight of the Ultrex is ridiculous though and it is hideous looking. They need to make one with a Maxum sized mount.

- 2019 Ranger Z185 - Mercury 150 Pro XS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast