Question Maple City vs. Indian River

The last 3 years my dad and I have taken a vacation in y'alls great state and had a lot of fun staying in the Indian River area.
    Is the Maple City area comparable? Looking at getting our lines stretched while having the possibility of catching some big brown fish.
    Is West Traverse Bay good smallie waters? (it seems everyone talks only of East Bay)
    Are the inland lakes within an hour of Maple City as good as the lakes around Indian River?
    Just tossing the idea around of visiting a different location around the first week of June.
    Thanks!

2. Member
    Burt & mullet will be busy the first week of June. BFL and payback bass will be there the first two weekends. If you prefer less boats around while on your vacation probably a good choice to try a different area of the state.

All of the Big Inland lakes in Northern Michigan have pretty good smallmouth fishing. Some are just better known and promoted than others. The smaller lakes are a mix of smallmouth and largemouth. All the bays on all the great lakes have strong populations of smallies including: East and West Grand Traverse, Little Grand Traverse, Little and Big Bay De Nok, Green, Tawas, Thunder, Saginaw, you name it.... They smallies are not always easy to find, but they are plentiful through the whole system all the way out the Saint Lawrence Sea Way.

4. Member
    There is a little more going on in Indian river as far as population. Maple City is a small town, but the entire West side is beautiful. There is a lot outside of fishing to do, Sleeping Bear dunes, Fishtown (Leland) has some cool bars and is right on Lake Michigan, hiking, biking, pretty much anything out doors.

Leelanau, Little Traverse, Lime, Long, Platte, Crystal etc all have great populations. On the big lake, Suttons Bay and Northport both should be pretty good that time of year. I will say Burt and Mullet are very tough to beat, but I don't think you will be disappointed trying a different location as well.