Banned

998 Two Transducer Question

I have a new to me 998c SI. It has the HD SI transducer on the transom, and I'm pretty confident that is a puck transducer I see in the bilge. Is there a way to see if the unit is recognizing the puck transducer? I found the menu option to select a transducer, does that have to be accessed to swap or do they somehow work together?

THX

2. Member
    Which "Y" or splitter adapter do you have?

The unit transducer port plug would have two cables connected to it if you have a Y cable with SI and shoot-thru connected.

There is no selection, menu change, or recognizing involved. The 2D in the SI transducer is disconnected and added shoot-thru is connected in its place. It is electrical connections. Unit setting is Hi-Def Sidescan.

If the shoot-thru is functional, you will have depth/2D sonar.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

4. Banned
    I don’t see a Y cable. I’m assuming it would be obvious. That’s for sure a puck in the bilge though. And my sidescan works, so sounds like the puck isn’t hooked up. Would I have 2D though the sidescan transducer?

Quote Originally Posted by paulcody View Post
    I don’t see a Y cable. I’m assuming it would be obvious. That’s for sure a puck in the bilge though. And my sidescan works, so sounds like the puck isn’t hooked up. Would I have 2D though the sidescan transducer?
    Yes
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Member
    Take the wire holder (cable management) off the back of the unit. Single Thumb screw.
    remove 2 screws and open up the wire holder and remove the transducer cable. (block square plug with 2 corners nipped off)

Are there 2 wires coming out of the single connector?

No? Then you only have 1 transducer hooked up.

Yes?
    Follow the two lines down about 18" (pig tails).
    You should find 2 large connectors

Do both plugs have a wire connected to them?

No? You only have 1 transducer hooked up.

Yes? You have two transducers. Thick transducer cable goes to side imaging, thin transducer line goes to puck.

How it works:
    With both ducers plugged in the graph will designate the low 2d frequency to the puck giving you better depth readings especially at speed.

If they are not working correctly do a factory reset, sometimes it glitches out. If that does not work try updating the software.

7. Member
    The graph doesn't designate. The cable routes the 2D from the DualBeam transducer instead of the imaging transducer. It's hardwired and no graph settings have to be changed.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by friogatto View Post
    Take the wire holder (cable management) off the back of the unit. Single Thumb screw.
    remove 2 screws and open up the wire holder and remove the transducer cable. (block square plug with 2 corners nipped off)

Are there 2 wires coming out of the single connector?

No? Then you only have 1 transducer hooked up.

Yes?
    Follow the two lines down about 18" (pig tails).
    You should find 2 large connectors

Do both plugs have a wire connected to them?

No? You only have 1 transducer hooked up.

Yes? You have two transducers. Thick transducer cable goes to side imaging, thin transducer line goes to puck.

How it works:
    With both ducers plugged in the graph will designate the low 2d frequency to the puck giving you better depth readings especially at speed.

If they are not working correctly do a factory reset, sometimes it glitches out. If that does not work try updating the software.
    That’s some great info! Thank you. Unfortunately I cannot disconnect the bus without taking the unit out of the dash. I’ll have to just trace wires or leave the question unanswered.

That’s some great info! Thank you. Unfortunately I cannot disconnect the bus without taking the unit out of the dash. I’ll have to just trace wires or leave the question unanswered.
    About 33" from the unit you would have two transducer plugs if you have the Y cable. Next to the plugs there would be two white labels. One states Dual Beam and the other states Side Imaging.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

10. Member
    Some glass boat models come standard with a shoot-thru transducer in the bilge area unless ordered differently. It may have been installed at factory and never used.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

11. Member
    I have another question regarding 2 transducers. I have an 898 with the Y cable for both transducers, which one is giving me a temperature reading? Is it the thru hull or side scan?

Quote Originally Posted by cbd15178 View Post
    I have another question regarding 2 transducers. I have an 898 with the Y cable for both transducers, which one is giving me a temperature reading? Is it the thru hull or side scan?
    Side Imaging. There is no temp sensor circuit on the 2D side of the Y cable.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

13. Banned
    I finally found the Y cable and both transducers were plugged in, but neither worked today. The guy I’m working with at Humminbird said the Y cable needs replaced. Those plugs don’t want to freely come apart. Any tricks to that?

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Side Imaging. There is no temp sensor circuit on the 2D side of the Y cable.
    My 2d puck has a temp sensor coming out of it I’m pretty sure.

My 2d puck has a temp sensor coming out of it I’m pretty sure.
    Makes no difference if it does or not, there is no connection with the Y cable for it.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

16. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    I finally found the Y cable and both transducers were plugged in, but neither worked today. The guy I’m working with at Humminbird said the Y cable needs replaced. Those plugs don’t want to freely come apart. Any tricks to that?
    Wiggle & pull the CONNECTORS (not cables) and it'll come - but can be a real joy to get apart.
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

17. Banned
    The saga continues. I replaced my splitter with a AS SIDBY. My side scan works great. I have no 2d or DI. The DI is the confusing part. I assumed the DI was coming from the SI transducer but I guess it comes from the dual beam?

I'm annoyed. If I remove the splitter and run the SI ducer to the graph will I have SI, DI and 2d all coming from the 180 SI ducer? Is it worth trying to pop that puck up and put another in?

A weekend of no depth readings is interesting to say the least. It's hard to imagine Mega, because I'm really pleased with what I am getting from the 998 setup, SI wise.

18. Member
    Yes, you will get 2d/si/di from the hdsi transducer plugged directly to unit, but depending on location of the hdsi transducer you may not get depth reading while on plane.Di does come from the hdsi tducer. Its blended which means the two si elements create di by overlapping beams beneath the transducer. Without 2d readings you will not get di. Di needs 2d for depth from either the hdsi ducer itself or from the 2d ducer with the y cable
    Last edited by ntslam; 03-25-2018 at 12:16 AM.

19. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    That is strange, may want to contact HB on this - maybe the unit is goofed up?
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/