Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
  1. Dogfish_Jones
    I see the lakes a lot more crowded with fishermen in the early part of spring for two reason I suspect. 1- They are ready to escape the indoors from winter time and get out. 2- To some it’s the best time of the year to catch fish before they go on bed. I think it is like hinting, the first couple of weekends of deer season the woods are filled with hunters, then after that it thins out to the dedicated ones.
    The problem fishermen have is after the people who have had their fill with fishing during the spring, it now becomes the hotter weather and all the joy riders hit the water. Thus, the lakes fill back up with people who will flat out cruise the lake all day long and spin their jet skis right beside you and even between your boat and the bank. God forbid those Wake Boats, throwing a tsunami wave at you when they go by.
    This is when I dedicate myself to fishing from safe light to around 11:00 AM. I will even venture out from 7:00 pm to dark to fish some. Being I live on the lake and have my own ramp and dock it is not that hard for me to decide when to go or not. But if I had to drive to get to a ramp and have to pay to launch...now this would cramp my idea of having a good time.

2. Member
    i dont mind the crowds if they would just wait there turn its the rudness i dont like. The lake i fish gets crowded quick but in the past if you got a spot and if theres a boat on it you fish another spot a couple hundred yrd away and wait on them to leave after they leave then you fish it,this day and time people will pull up behind you in front of you or right on top of the spot LOL
    Prime example my work partner was at guntersville fishing saturday it was raining like cats and dogs they was about 100 yrds out in front of a bridge and started catching them in the 3lb range well under the bridge taking cover from the rain was 4 boats when the rain let up all 4 boats went to him and totally surround him to were he couldnt even cast one boat actually idled right on to the spot he just threw his hands up and left.

Originally Posted by Craigjc00 "That’s the one nice part about Michigan is there are dozens upon dozens of lakes within an hour that on a Saturday morning you have a good chance you’re the only bass boat on the water. As for our bigger tournament fisheries, they are getting the bloody piss beat out of them."
    It's only going to get worse. More and more fishing shows, like many of the MLF shows are being filmed up there now, also in Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Fishing is real good in these places because they haven't seen the same pressure as in other states and it makes for good shows and good industry business. With this kind of exposure, that won't last long though because these places will become the next "Fishing Mecca's" and they'll start getting beaten to death.

A couple of months ago, I posted in a few of the BBC Bass Club forums asking about what the fishing and living conditions were like in their state because I was starting to think about where I want to retire. One fellow from Michigan answered... "These are the good old days right now", which means to me, based on my experience and seeing the "growth" of fishing, that the end of those days is on the horizon.
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddy View Post
    I may move to a less crowded lake soon . Take a number during ledge season.
    It's a shame. I used to love spending the evening on KY Lake. In the summer I'd usually get out there about 2 pm and fishing until after dark. There was hardly any boat traffic. Now it's even busy at those times.

I have gotten to where now I do most of my fishing in local ponds. I also spend about 3 solids weeks a year (2 weeks in May and one in September) up in Minnesota right on the border of Canada. Where I go is pretty close to Rainy Lake. The smallmouth fishing is like nothing you could ever imagine. And basically NOBODY up there fishes for bass. It's all about the walleye and pike. Plus, if you cross over into Canada by water you may go a whole day without seeing another boat. Heck, I've grown so attached to fishing up there that I actually left my Tracker Targa V-18 in storage at one of the lake. That way I can just fly up to Duluth, rent a car and be drive up to the lake. Trust me, when I retire, that's where I'll be.

5. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hez View Post
    Bass fishing is making a comeback!!

I've been saying it for a couple of years now.

Some people don't want to admit it...but YouTube is rejuvenating an almost dead industry...especially in this age of technology...and video games...
    Never died out. Has always been growing. Lake don't grow so hence the more people.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

6. Banned
    Wilson Lake has so many residents living there full time as it is in the middle of 4 cities. But the lake's relatively quiet most of the year, including Summer weekends.I

You would think such a premier lake would be much busier.

7. Banned
    Wilson Lake has so many residents living there full time as it is in the middle of 4 cities. But the lake's relatively quiet most of the year, including Summer weekends.

You would think such a premier lake would be much busier.

8. Member
    A good way to deal with the crowds......... wait until the sun goes down!!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Bass Tard View Post
    It's only going to get worse. More and more fishing shows, like many of the MLF shows are being filmed up there now, also in Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Fishing is real good in these places because they haven't seen the same pressure as in other states and it makes for good shows and good industry business. With this kind of exposure, that won't last long though because these places will become the next "Fishing Mecca's" and they'll start getting beaten to death.

A couple of months ago, I posted in a few of the BBC Bass Club forums asking about what the fishing and living conditions were like in their state because I was starting to think about where I want to retire. One fellow from Michigan answered... "These are the good old days right now", which means to me, based on my experience and seeing the "growth" of fishing, that the end of those days is on the horizon.
    Seeing an out of state Bass rig in Northern Michigan use to be an extreme rarity but it is more and more common now...Out of state rigs have increased quite a bit on LSC also..
    As far as Northern Michigan...I always try to look at the bright side...The Northern part of Michigan has a real job shortage and if all these tourists coming up to fish will help their livelihood , then who am I to complain about a little more pressure when there are guys up there trying to feed their families??..
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

10. Member
    In my area tournaments are out of control. Almost every lake (certainly the bigger or better then average lakes) within 50-70 miles has a tournament on Saturday or Sunday or both days..

It is crazy...I fish a few tournaments but my God these lakes get pounded...
    2005 Ranger Z20
    Lake St. Clair addiction...

11. Member
    A lot of Walleye and panfish folks crowd early season here. Many from neighboring states with late openers.
    Dave

There not a sole on my lake today!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cehlert View Post
    I'm in Ottertail County area of Minnesota. There are days where we get to an access and see one boat trailer and will head down the road to have a different lake to ourselves. Certain areas of the state are super busy, but most of the small lakes that don't have houses all over them are super quiet. Couldn't imagine waiting in line to launch or park. On the other hand this 5 months of ice every year isn't fun to deal with.
    If your fishing the smaller lakes in the Douglas, Pope, Grant or Ottertail county areas of west central Minnesota during the week (Monday through Thursday) it's rare that you will have to share the lake with anyone else. There are so many 150 to 400-acre lakes in the area, that you can always find a small lake to have to your self. Unless it's the opening of walleye... Now the bigger bodies of water like Ida or Minnewaska, that's a different story.

Anyone fish lake of size that outlaws bass tournaments .

15. Member
    Here in Illinois they keep the fish population way down, so it keeps the fishermen population down also.
    2003 Bullet
    20xrd/300x

I'm in Ottertail County area of Minnesota. There are days where we get to an access and see one boat trailer and will head down the road to have a different lake to ourselves. Certain areas of the state are super busy, but most of the small lakes that don't have houses all over them are super quiet. Couldn't imagine waiting in line to launch or park. On the other hand this 5 months of ice every year isn't fun to deal with.

If your fishing the smaller lakes in the Douglas, Pope, Grant or Ottertail county areas of west central Minnesota during the week (Monday through Thursday) it's rare that you will have to share the lake with anyone else. There are so many 150 to 400-acre lakes in the area, that you can always find a small lake to have to your self. Unless it's the opening of walleye... Now the bigger bodies of water like Ida or Minnewaska, that's a different story.

you two aint lieing, i couldnt imagine competition on a funfishing trip haha, im centrally located between lakes country MN and a power plant heated lake, i havent had my bout out since dec 19, but while i was slaying 70ish bass this weekend in my kayak iwas kicking myself for not bringing the boat
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

17. Member
    Here in Wisconsin there are bass, or walleye tournaments almost every weekend, sometimes two at a time. During the week there are guys out pre-fishing for the weekend.

When the walleye start moving up the rivers to spawn you could actually walk across the river on the boats. When the walleye are done spawning, they move back into the lakes. The first place to catch them is on the reefs. If you catch a fish, you will have boats in your back pocket in no time. It is literally bumper boats! Then you’ll get the guy with his two buddies who decides to troll. He’ll have a spread of six lines with planner boards spanning 50-60 feet. Everyone will have to reel in to avoid him pulling your rod out of your hand. To me, fishing is no longer a relaxing time, but much more stressful. If you are going to fish our #1 walleye lake, Lake Winnebago, from May through July, you better plan on hitting the water before 5:00am just to get a parking place.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Craigjc00 View Post
    That’s the one nice part about Michigan is there are dozens upon dozens of lakes within an hour that on a Saturday morning you have a good chance you’re the only bass boat on the water. As for our bigger tournament fisheries, they are getting the bloody piss beat out of them.
    This is true. I have a lake 10 minutes from me that they did a shock on several years ago and DNR says the new Michigan state record LM is there. I don't see maybe one other boat there when I fish it even on weekends.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brnzbaklvr View Post
    Seeing an out of state Bass rig in Northern Michigan use to be an extreme rarity but it is more and more common now...Out of state rigs have increased quite a bit on LSC also..
    As far as Northern Michigan...I always try to look at the bright side...The Northern part of Michigan has a real job shortage and if all these tourists coming up to fish will help their livelihood , then who am I to complain about a little more pressure when there are guys up there trying to feed their families??..
    The beauty about Michigan is the fact that about 80% or more of the Anglers fish for walleyes that keeps a lot of pressure off of our in land Lakes

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456