Advice for a Co-angler at Kerr

Kerr Lake: If a co-angler get's paired with someone who is flipping bushes all day, do you think the best strategy would be to flip as well and hit the spots that the boater has not flipped or take a different approach? Last tournament I had at Kerr I flipped bushes behind the boater and only got a couple bites all day. What have you seen work from the back of the boat in these situations at Kerr?

2. Member
    Follow behind him with a shakey head and/or throw back out towards deeper water to try and catch those lingering out that way. Fish the part of the brush that he misses. Most guys will just flip in there one time. So if he flips into the front of the brush, hit the back side of it.
    Collins Boating Pro Staff - Smithfield, North Carolina
    JeffreyDavisFishing.com
    | YouTube | Facebook | Instagram | NC Bass Challenge

I've done well flipping something different but it can be tough. You can also fish the other side of the boat. When the water's up, you can find fish hanging around the old water line. I prefer running a spinnerbait around the bushes if they'll come out and get it. Most guys are decent about leaving you some stuff to fish but if he gets too dialed in on getting his limit he can get tunnel vision and not leave you anything so just say something to him. You can ask him to leave you something to fish or to swing the boat out so you can get a few casts in. If you get a guy that is really front-boating you and doesn't give you a shot at anything, even after you ask, start slinging your loudest, double prop, two clacker buzzbait through those bushes. Most guys will give you a little more to fish if you mention it on the water.

4. Banned
    Nothing sucks more a guy front ending you. I fished with a guy at Harris about 10 years ago and he ran the bank with a spinnerbait. Trolling motor on constant and about 25 feet from the bank. What a dick he was that day.

5. Banned
    The best advice is to fish something different than your boater. If he is fishing a jig then fish a plastic or even a senko. The absolutely worst thing to do is start throwing on top of the boater. Most boaters will give you room to fish but don’t expect to catch as many fish as they are and remember you aren’t fishing against them you are fishing against the other coanglers.
    I don’t mean this to sound like a smart a$$ so I apologize in advance but I alway hear the co anglers complain about being front ended and blaming the boater when they don’t catch anything but there are alway fish around to catch. You just need to do something different to catch those fish. I mostly fish BFL tourney’s only and have had guys zero while fishing with me and guys win fishing behind me. The one thing that they all have in common is the guys that do their own thing behind and I really don’t even know they are there do good and the guys that try to beat me don’t catch much of nothing because they are to worried about beating me than they are at catch their next fish.

6. Member
    follow him with a wacky rig for sure,
    1996 Javelin 409T DC /225 Johnson Venom

Weightless fluke, biggest you got, skipped back as far as you can. Kind of walk the dog underwater, pause, repeat.

8. Member
    Throw that spinnerbait to the back and to the side of the bush,,,let it sink, let out a little line and let him drag it under the bush with the boat...hang on.

9. Member
    When a co-angler at Kerr, throw a Carolina rigged watermelon lizard.
    2003 Ranger 205 VX
    2007 Mercury Optimax

Are you fishing the BFL this weekend? If so....the water at Buggs is not in the bushes and it's 46 degrees.....so you probably won't have to worry about it.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stratos90 View Post
    Are you fishing the BFL this weekend? If so....the water at Buggs is not in the bushes and it's 46 degrees.....so you probably won't have to worry about it.
    That was what I was thinking also but you know I'm going to flip some bush regardless. Also looks like is going to be another cold day of fishing. My co-angler will be wishing I had a dual console more than anything else.
    Last edited by Jamie; 03-13-2018 at 09:35 AM.

12. Banned
    If you think the boater has caught all there is to be caught ahead of you, then you already lost. Use something different.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
    If you think the boater has caught all there is to be caught ahead of you, then you already lost. Use something different.
    Couldn't agree more. I think more times than not it is better to throw a different bait from the back.

14. Banned
    Yeah, won't be much flipping going on Saturday. Water is about 8" below full pool. Needs to be about 2-4' above full for good flipping action.

As a boater I don't back boat my co's against the bank. I give them ample room and opportunity to fish. But I'm also not overly concerned about them catching fish. If we happen to get on a really good, fast paced patterned bite early and I limit quick I'll put my rods down and give the co every chance to get their limit, within reason. Just don't expect your boater to feel bad about picking apart all the good water first. They paid to be up front and in control. And if they're being a deliberate dick, back ending you against a bank and generally giving you no opportunity to fish, just remind them that you have to initial their name at the end of the day.

You'd be surprised how many co's come in with a limit and their boaters zeroed for the day. Adapt to how they're fishing. If they're burning a spinner then burn a crankbait or swim jig. If they're throwing a jig then throw a shakyhead or soft plastic. There are ways to "clean up" behind other anglers. It why I don't worry about fishing behind other boats when lakes are fishing small. I guarantee they're either not throwing the same thing, or not presenting it the same way as I am.

Most of us are out there to have a good time, catch some fish, be safe while doing it and maybe win some money.

I have had cos catch them good on a senko behind me. Also try fishing differently than they do even if you are flipping a similar bait... sometimes letting it sit a second or two longer might be the difference between getting bit and not.
    Neil Eckberg- Cary, NC - 2008 Skeeter ZX250- 250 Yamaha SHO

Kerr Lake Ba$$hole

16. Banned
    A different dance with the same bait can do the trick.