Thru-hull Livewell pump installation

I've got my silicone, new thru-hull pump and ready to do this tonight. I just need to remove old silicone residue with Acetone to get it ready. Is this a 2 man job?

2. Member
    Not really. Especially if you can reach both sides at the same time.
    Speed cost money. How fast ya wanna go? I have done so much for so long with so little. I can now do the impossible with nothing!

3. Member
    Well I definitely can't reach both sides at the same time. Nobody could do that.

4. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Never hurts to have a second set of hands to help out.....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

5. Member
    Throw your kid in the bilge and scream instructions to him while laying on the garage floor under the transom. Can’t start ‘em too young learning valuable boat maintenance skills.

6. Member
    I ended up spending the evening cleaning old silicone on both sides. Plastic scraper, sandpaper, Acetone and lots of elbow grease. Took a butter knife around the hole to get residual silicone out of that area. Going to wait until tomorrow when I have some help in installing new one. Is there anything more to it than pushing the pump fitting through the hole in bilge and person on floor pushing the strainer holder piece on and screwing on the plastic nut? Just fill entire hole with silicone and gob silicone flat parts with silicone before pressing against walls on each side of transom? It may seem simple to many of you but I've never done this so feel free to add any advice no matter how simple. Thank you

most strainers I seen are screw onto the threaded shaft of intake, and even ones I put on inside of live well. I changed what few I had to replace with the tsunami style, just R&R motor top and no more redoing the whole thing , If ever go's bad... Also I didn't use regular silicone but the 3m 3200 stuff Have Fun!

8. Member
    Yes your procedure sounds adequate to me.
    William "Bill" Kyte
    Waldorf, MD
    2018 Shenadoah Kerr lake BFL Co-angler Champion

2020 Ranger 520L Evinrude G2 250HO

9. Member
    Will this stuff called Boat Life/Life Seal work? It says above or below waterline and for fiberglass. Would this be better than the Loctite product I mentioned earlier?
    Some people were telling me the Loctite Adhesive Sealant would be very difficult to remove if I ever needed to. Loctite stuff does say ideal for marine thru-deck fittings. But if the Life Seal works well I'd rather use that. The Life Seal says for above or below waterline.

10. Member
    Did you do this yet?
    Wes

11. Member
    Yes. Had a friend help me Tuesday afternoon. It's been cold where I live so figured I'd wait a few days before backing it down ramp to test. I want the Silicone to cure well. I used the Life Seal. I think the other stuff would be bad news if I ever needed to remove. I've been trying to problem solve a water issue all winter. I'm hoping this will be the fix. Still need to to saw off extra threaded fitting tomorrow.

12. Member
    If the pumps had 90 degree hose barb fittings that screwed on, I hope you used some type of thread sealer . Ive seen them leak at that fitting and couldn't turn them to tighten because they were put in sideways and hit the floor of the boat. Good luck.
    Wes

13. Member
    H-D Dad I sent you a PM in an attempt to clarify what you're talking about. I THINK I'm good on what you're talking about. Thanks