HPDI Lower Unit Bearing Carrier Bolt Damage

Went to leave an area I was fishing saturday and when I put the boat in gear there was a horrible grind sound and a clunk that dead stopped my motor. Cranked it again and same thing was happening. I backed to the shore and took the prop off and it was clear what was happening. The upper bolt on the rear bearing carrier had backed or been blown out and my 25 T-1 prop had been grinding on it. It chewed up the bolt to where it had no more hex pattern. (In fact, the metal from the bolt looked inverted and was protruding outward. It was strange looking.) It also chewed up the back edge of my prop. (not the blades) I used some pliers to turn the bolt in as much as I could, so that it cleared the prop and finished the day with no problems.

Now I need to replace the bolt. I'm wondering if there is any other damage that this could have caused and what was the reason. Should I be worried? I don't think the prop should have any problems, but that back edge sure isn't pretty anymore.

I had a shop replace my seals about 2 months ago. Did they not tighten it down enough?

It's #74 in this assembly. https://www.simyamaha.com/category_s...rt-category=49
    Last edited by wbrown; 03-12-2018 at 09:20 AM.

2. Member
    If a shop worked on my LU 2 months ago and it happened, I would be asking them how they were going to fix it.

3. Member
    Does not sound like they torqued bolts right.
    +1 I would ask the shop as sometimes things happen andmistakes happen. Not what we expect when paying for a service. But it can and does happen.
    Last edited by javelin90; 03-13-2018 at 05:57 AM.

4. Member
    Same thing happened to mine last summer. My mechanic said there was no locktite on the carrier bolt. So whoever had it off previously in my case didnt put it back together correctly. I sent my prop off to mark to be fixed. Got a new bolt, and drained some of my lower unit oil to make sure the seals were still ok and no water had gotten in. Used locktite, and re torqued and was back on the water in 3 hours pre fishing for a tourney. I was stuck initially on the water like you and had to troll a mile up pool 11 of the mississippi river. So that took awhile. But as far as damage, i was out some lower unit oil, a $10 bolt, and getting the damage on my prop fixed. But man i was scared too when i heard that pinging and grinding. Scared the snot out of me. I just had finished break im on my powerhead rebuild and i was almost in tears thinkin it was worse than it was. Keep us posted on how this works out. Im interested if that other shop will stand behind their work.

5. Member
    Thanks for the response, always good to hear from someone that's gone through the same problem. I am thinking/hoping that everything would be fine, and your comment helps ease my mind.

I already have a bolt on order that is going to be here today. To be honest, I probably won't even approach the shop. I hate dealing with shops as it is, and do almost all work on my motor myself if I can/if I have the time. I don't even want to hear their bullshit. If i find out it ruined my lower, then i would. I studied my service manual and noticed the locktite callout for that bolt and was thinking that's what they failed to do. I just hope it didn't ream out the threads where the bolt goes...

6. Member
    Yeah its unfortunate for sure. But in my case not as bad as i thought. So that was a relief. Hope its the same scenario for you. Best of luck. Keep us posted.

7. Member
    I already have a bolt on order that is going to be here today. To be honest, I probably won't even approach the shop. I hate dealing with shops as it is, and do almost all work on my motor myself if I can/if I have the time. I don't even want to hear their bullshit. If i find out it ruined my lower, then i would. I studied my service manual and noticed the locktite callout for that bolt and was thinking that's what they failed to do. I just hope it didn't ream out the threads where the bolt goes...

I'm with you wbrown,Years ago I took my yammie in for its 10 hour check ,took it fishing later noticed it was smoking a bunch ,found that the mechaneck didnot hook up the linkage to the oil pump so it was wide open on oiling ,I try to do all work on it know ,Hope the threads are OK

8. Member
    I got the new bolt in and put some LOCTITE on it! I also just filed down the damaged edge of the prop to make it a little smoother. I think the lower unit is ok.