Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar

can a talon be added without going behind the motor??

Just curious can a Talon be mounted right to the transom or does it have to be mounted behind the motor with a bracket and spacer on other side??
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

2. Member
    I mounted mine direct on my old tin rig. I would not consider doing it to a glass rig though.

3. Member
    Depends on what type boat you have and how the transom is made outside and braced inside.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

4. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    My friend has a Strtos and he mounted his that way I have an older 300 series Ranger
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

5. Member
    Lots of boats have them mounted directly to the transom. If installed correctly, the chance of water intrusion is no higher than the tie down rings right next to it on the transom.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

I would think that during a rough water ride it would stress the gel coat/ glass.
    Scott Inman

Quote Originally Posted by scotti509 View Post
    I would think that during a rough water ride it would stress the gel coat/ glass.
    Not any more than that 300 to 500 pound motor that is through bolted directly to your transom.

8. Banned
    I had mine directly mounted to my tin multi specie rig but I would do it on my glass rig. It was a lot easier to mount the tin.

i had my 12' mounted to the transom it was slick and lighter than with the bracket, would seriously design boats with a flat square on each side to mount anchors, cleaner install and less weight all while being able to be closer to the transom and in the correct spot
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

10. Member
    I would like to do this myself on my tin , but from what I understand you have no option of "tilt bracket" without doing the sandwich /jackplate?

Quote Originally Posted by jgoucher12 View Post
    I would like to do this myself on my tin , but from what I understand you have no option of "tilt bracket" without doing the sandwich /jackplate?
    Yes you do. You can attach the tilt bracket to the transom and Talon to that if you attach it high enough.
    You can also use the 6" setback bracket between the tilt bracket and transom if needed.

The tilt bracket and setback bracket are extra parts that may be added to the installation.
    The tilt bracket comes with a support pole.

https://mk.factoryoutletstore.com/ca...g-Bracket.html

I am considering that setup for my Tracker.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

I used the 6" set back i paid 30$ for it and came with more mounting bolts, big ones, this bracket is used to gine the hing more room to operate i was about 4" lower than the deck and it would fold flat with the 6" extension, very slick

13. Member
    I have a 17 ft fiberglass boat and have 2 talons bolted directly to the transom. I have used this set up for the last 3 years with no issues.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Yes you do. You can attach the tilt bracket to the transom and Talon to that if you attach it high enough.
    You can also use the 6" setback bracket between the tilt bracket and transom if needed.

The tilt bracket and setback bracket are extra parts that may be added to the installation.
    The tilt bracket comes with a support pole.

https://mk.factoryoutletstore.com/ca...g-Bracket.html

I am considering that setup for my Tracker.

So in this scenario, It would be, Transom-->Tilt Bracket--> Setback--> Talon? Does this require to be higher than the suggested 4" from bottom of the transom? So in other words would I lose "depth" 12' talon is now sitting higher so its a 11.5? And or, Would it be too low and therefore create "spray/drag" ?? This might be perfect if all that is no.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    i had my 12' mounted to the transom it was slick and lighter than with the bracket, would seriously design boats with a flat square on each side to mount anchors, cleaner install and less weight all while being able to be closer to the transom and in the correct spot
    Not too mention mounting them on the transom puts them 18" or so further forward than a bracket which will help holeshot significantly.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

16. Member
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 98 Elite203; 03-14-2018 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jgoucher12 View Post
    So in this scenario, It would be, Transom-->Tilt Bracket--> Setback--> Talon? Does this require to be higher than the suggested 4" from bottom of the transom? So in other words would I lose "depth" 12' talon is now sitting higher so its a 11.5? And or, Would it be too low and therefore create "spray/drag" ?? This might be perfect if all that is no.
    No, Transom, Setback, Tilt Bracket, Talon.

The Talon itself has a lot of height adjustment and is removable with the slotted assembly. You can purchase lever handle nuts for adjustment/removal. THAT is were you do the 4" deal if you want to set it that way.

https://mk.factoryoutletstore.com/de...ogitemid=73543
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

So you want the bracket in the best area for access and strenght, then you slide the anchor up or down so it is out of rhe water approximately 4" to the bottom of the boat directly in front of the anchor,

i was 2.75" above the hull with the 6" setback and tilt bracket and it never caused spray

if your going to mount a tilt you want the system as high as possible so it has room to tilt, (example- open a house door 90*, then put your foot in the door way about 3" from the hinge, shut till you hit your foot, "thats what hits the top cap of boat" them move your foot 9" from the hinge and repeat, much more usable range.

19. Member
    Thank you all I will be getting that setup then since the 90HP on my tracker does not even have a jackplate so why remove the engine at all

20. Member
    Thinking about it more, If I used this setup as opposed to the motor jackplate, does it ultimately put the Talon further to the "left" (or right) than it would by using the motor jackplate? I am thinking if I have only one then I would want it as close to center as possible. Or deal with it for 1yr and buy another one next year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast