Anyone fish Heidecke lake?

I haven't been there in almost 15 years when they were still generating power. I'm just wondering if it's worth the 3hr drive.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

2. Member
    Had some buddies start going up there last fall and said it wasnt to bad. So I went with one of my buddies one time and he caught 1 and I didnt catch anything.

3. Member
    It doesn't open until April 1st. The last time is was there I almost needed boots to walk thru the goose poop on the boat dock at the ramp.
    Three hour drive from Wisconsin ? If I lived in Wisconsin I wouldn't leave there to fish Heidecke. I live less than 30 minutes from Heidecke and rarely go there. LaSalle Lake is 15 minutes from me and I rarely go there. The water in both lakes is pumped up from the Illinois River. Think about where a lot the treated sewage from Chicago and a lot of the suburbs goes.
    I have caught some nice stripers and catfish in both of them. Definitely catch and release lakes for me.

4. Member
    I was wanting to catch the stripper I wouldn't think the bass fishing would be very good.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro

pond boat

5. Member
    I fish Heidecke often spring and fall. Both seasons are limited and once the shad explode it shuts down. It is an hour drive for me. I would google - chitown angler - for pretty frequent reports. I would say the water there currently is occasionally released as overflow to the river there is no pumping station anywhere. The issue is often high water at the bridge seperating the N & S pools making access to the N pool hard for larger boats. The overflow to the Illinos River is on the E end of the N pool and the lake is at least 15 feet higher than the river that runs along the north. Nice walleye and crappie these days and way less SM than when there was a current while pumping. More than most water I fish a hot and cold place. Winds waves and clouds it is apt to be hot. It is a perched lake and such is subject to being closed as unsafe when the wind is really blowing. Heidecke was once a coal fired peaker plant and LaSalle is a nuclear power generating plant. Illinois River walleye and sauger taste distinctly like diesel fuel to me. I'll eat smaller walleye, crappie and hybrids from Heidecke but as it is very pressured I do C&R a lot there as well. Over all would I drive 3 hours to fish? No.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grindstone View Post
    I fish Heidecke often spring and fall. Both seasons are limited and once the shad explode it shuts down. It is an hour drive for me. I would google - chitown angler - for pretty frequent reports. I would say the water there currently is occasionally released as overflow to the river there is no pumping station anywhere. The issue is often high water at the bridge seperating the N & S pools making access to the N pool hard for larger boats. The overflow to the Illinos River is on the E end of the N pool and the lake is at least 15 feet higher than the river that runs along the north. Nice walleye and crappie these days and way less SM than when there was a current while pumping. More than most water I fish a hot and cold place. Winds waves and clouds it is apt to be hot. It is a perched lake and such is subject to being closed as unsafe when the wind is really blowing. Heidecke was once a coal fired peaker plant and LaSalle is a nuclear power generating plant. Illinois River walleye and sauger taste distinctly like diesel fuel to me. I'll eat smaller walleye, crappie and hybrids from Heidecke but as it is very pressured I do C&R a lot there as well. Over all would I drive 3 hours to fish? No.
    thanks I'm just looking for a place to put the boat in and catch something. And I'm not buying a chain sticker.Wisconsin game fishing does not open until the first Saturday of May.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro

pond boat

7. Member
    I know the lake pretty well because I worked there for the dirt contractor that built it. It is indeed a maintained by pumping water into it. It is referred to as a perched lake.
    Here is a cut and paste from The IDNR description of it.
    "Description: Formerly a cooling reservoir, Heidecke Lake has 1,955 surface acres of water with 75% of shoreline comprised of rock rip-rapped dikes. A "safe harbor" created by breakwaters was constructed in 1993. There are no horsepower limitations; maximum speed is 40 mph except in designated "no wake" areas; working gasoline engine required as main propulsion unit; boats under 14' are not recommended. Zebra mussels have been found in Heidecke Lake and boaters should take appropriate measures upon departure. Shore angler access is located on the east side of lake off Dresden Road with portions of the center and east dike open to bank fishing. A handicapped fishing pier is located on the east side of the lake as well.
    History and Status of the Sport Fishery: The fishery is evaluated via biennial major surveys and annual species-specific surveys. Attempts to introduce aquatic vegetation have generally failed. Bass spawning habitat has been installed at various locations and other habitat enhancement projects are planned. Heidecke Lake receives annual stockings of walleye and hybrid striped bass. Pure muskellunge are stocked every third year, while black crappie and largemouth bass are released based upon availability. A special mercury advisory is in effect for smallmouth bass 18" and larger which limits consumption to one meal per week for the most sensitive populations.

Heidecke Lake is maintained by periodically pumping water from the Illinois River. As a result, the lake supports a variety of fish species in addition to those listed above, including common carp, quillback, freshwater drum and others. Heidecke Lake is supported by a thriving gizzard shad forage base as well as various other minnow species. Round gobies have been recently discovered as well. "

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by born 2 fish View Post
    thanks I'm just looking for a place to put the boat in and catch something. And I'm not buying a chain sticker.Wisconsin game fishing does not open until the first Saturday of May.
    The Rock River, Mississippi River and the Wisconsin River system are open year 'round. From Trevor, Rock River and the Wisconsin are within 3 hours and will offer better fishing than Heideke. The Miss' isn't a terrible drive either.

Now if you are looking for warmer water temps, and it pains me to say this, Braidwood's powerplant is operational.