Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Electronics and Trolling Motor - DIY or not?

I recently picked up a Ranger RT188 and will be looking into new electronics and TM, likely a linked Hummingbird/Ultrex combination. I'm handy but don't have a lot of experience with electronics. How many people are doing these sorts of installs themselves? How much do installs run if you were to have it done? Does everyone have their dealer do it or are do local marinas do electronics installs? Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    I did. There's something nice about knowing how everything is set up and where every cable runs through the hull.

3. Member
    Not hard to do, just follow instructions and take your time. Gives you a sense of pride in yourself and your rig.
    Joefish
    2007 Ranger 178DVS
    Evinrude ETEC 150

<*)}}}><

4. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    It's not hard to do yourself but it's time consuming and it can be a bit of a pain running wires. My suggestion is to post over to the Humminbird forum with some details on what you want to do and there will be lots of people who will guide you in the right direction.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

5. Member
    I did my own trolling motor upgrade and installed to Helix 7's. I saved several hundred $ that the dealer quoted me for the same task.
    2018 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS 4S

I’ve done my own trolling motor and numerous electronics upgrades. You said you are handy, so I’d say go for it. Nothing too technical and you can always turn to YouTube/BBC for support.

7. Banned
    I do it all that when it screws up or breaks I know how to fix it. It’s not that hard. Read the directions and take your time.

8. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    DYI over here also.....most is very easy to do, may take you a whole weekend but layout out everything, check on all the parts you have, figure out where /how they go.....it may take you a whole weekend but at least you didnt rush it and/or mess up anything......

On my installs, it takes me all day just to do a unit and transducer, but its on purpose as i take my time doing things, and there might be a beer or two in between breaks.

The last thing, there are lots of guys on here that can answer questions and/or take pics to show.....
    Last edited by fishin couillon; 03-11-2018 at 08:39 PM.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

Not that hard to do with a good fishtape for the wires, the right tools, and some general reading on tips from the D-I-Y installers on here. Some excellent advice to be had on here from those who have done it. Measure twice (or 3) times, cut/drill once.
    The nice thing about doing it yourself is you know where everything is, and how it got there. And you can take the time to get it just the way you want it. Many installers can’t / won’t take the same time on the little details. Time is money.
    I installed 3 HDS units in my Sabre FTD without prior experience. It took planning, time, and the right tools. It wasn’t easy, even frustrating at times, but I’d do it again in a heartbeat.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

10. Member
    I did the install on 2 humminbirds and my ultrex all linked together. Take your time and it will be fine not that hard.
    LIFE IS GOOD
    STILL CAN'T CATCH A FISH.

11. Member
    It’s not hard biggest thing for me was when I had to drill holes for the ram mount

12. Banned
    Do all my upgrades and install. I have to say I do a decent job, ran proper wire size water proofed every connection and sealed everything nice and tight.

My finished this...
    Best part is if there's a problem, I know how to fix.
    Attached Images Attached Images

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tharris811 View Post
    I did the install on 2 humminbirds and my ultrex all linked together. Take your time and it will be fine not that hard.
    I am doing the same install as soon as they deliver the 2 birds and the Ultrex. Only thing that worries me is installing the SI transducer.

14. Member
    If a person is able to do that type work, then by all means do it yourself. The main thing is running wires/cables and not messing up what is already there. Drilling holes, tying / hiding wires and good quality connections. Also knowing what you can connect to and what you can't. Days of just finding a "hot" wire and a "ground" are gone. These have either got to go back to a factory dedicated wire or a battery / battery switch connection. Just understand that it is your boat and you don't want it looking like someone that has never installed one, installed it. That is what the professional installation with a shop that commits to that type of work will give you. Sometimes it's a problem finding "that" shop. Should you decide to order, give me a call. I can ship these items to your door.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

Not hard to do you can do everything yourself and save some $$ for more baits! The TM is heavy and you may need some assistance with getting that up and mounted down but from there on its all just hook ups.

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    If a person is able to do that type work, then by all means do it yourself. The main thing is running wires/cables and not messing up what is already there. Drilling holes, tying / hiding wires and good quality connections. Also knowing what you can connect to and what you can't. Days of just finding a "hot" wire and a "ground" are gone. These have either got to go back to a factory dedicated wire or a battery / battery switch connection. Just understand that it is your boat and you don't want it looking like someone that has never installed one, installed it. That is what the professional installation with a shop that commits to that type of work will give you. Sometimes it's a problem finding "that" shop. Should you decide to order, give me a call. I can ship these items to your door.
    John
    I can appreciate that you have a business to run and you need to support your family, however, with the cost of boats, tackle, graphs, gas, batteries and fishing in general it's nice to save a few bucks by doing some of these installs yourself. I have to say the time I take to do my work is better then I have seen my buddy's pay some shop to do. I found flaws in what ranger did at the factory and repaired them. Plus I enjoy doing the work to my rig and I get to save a few bucks that I can go fishing with.

17. Member
    I do all my stuff. Seen way to many dealer installs that weren't very good. Never let frustration stop you from taking your time and doing it all right. Sometimes that will be hard to do lol but when your done you know it's right and know where to look if any issues arise later. Done right you have a small chance of problems later. The hardest part is getting wires from front to back, after that's it's easy

18. Member
    It would be a good idea if you have a buddy who has some experience doing these installs to lend a hand the first time. After your first, you should be fine doing more work on your own later on.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

19. Banned
    If you want it done right do it yourself. However I am very picky.

I have installed every trolling motor since I had the boat. bought it new.
    Had first upgrade on graphs done by local shop.
    Did the rest myself not to bad since main wire were already in place .
    Just had to run a few Ethernet wires myself
    Power Poles were done by local shop

Having a friend help really makes it easier
    TCnSD
    Terry Chenowth
    Santee, CA

2003 Ranger 195VS
    2011 Etec 200HO
    No Problem I'm on fish...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast