360 transducer, which one, where best to put it.

When I bought my two Helix 10 mega SI G2n I figured that someday I would like to add 360. The time has come. I have a 22 foot bay boat with two Power Poles on the transom and a Mini Kota Ulterra on the bow. When mounting the 360 on a trolling motor does the the straight forward on the scan become where the motor points or does it use the compass so it is where the bow is pointing? I also could make a Ram Mount for the bow to use at low speeds when the trolling motor is stowed and i am just checking out spots from the console with the big motor. This is not a cheap transducer and I would like to get this right the first time so any advice will be appreciated.

Don

There are three models.

One is a transom model looks like a Talon, attaches like a Talon, and deploys like a Talon.
    One is a trolling motor model that clamps to the upper shaft of a cable steer foot control bow trolling motor--Minnkota Fortrex, etc.
    One is a trolling motor model that attaches the bow guard of a Minnkota Ultrex.
    The two trolling motor models stow and deploy with the trolling motor.

You cannot attach it to a Ulterra unless you get an apparatus from a third party (cornfieldcrappiegear makes one). It cannot be attached to an Ulterra motor shaft. It is a stationary transducer. It is not a regular transducer, it is an Ethernet accessory.

All three versions come with a AS GPS HS antenna. That is used to mark and display waypoints on the 360 view.
    The "straight forward" is done when you mount it, has nothing to do with the "compass".
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Thanks Wayne I am going to look at the third party mount you listed. My fishing buddy said putting it in the stern meant that the first 22' in front of you was under the boat.

Don

4. Member
    I looked at CornfieldCrappieGear. Very nice mount. I had a couple of questions about it and sent a email on a Sunday and got a reply that evening. Emailed him back with a second question and had a reply the next morning. If I add a 360 this is the way I will go. I have not convinced myself that I really need a 360 but then I didn't need the 2 Helix 10 mega or the Ulterra I was catching plenty of crappies with the 4" Garmin. My fishing buddy said we haven't learn how to use the 2 helix yet but then what does he know I out fish him petty often. Don

5. Member
    Hi Don
    I believe you can set an offset to show from the bow forward if you want for more accurate interpretation.

Quote Originally Posted by 170xped View Post
    Hi Don
    I believe you can set an offset to show from the bow forward if you want for more accurate interpretation.
    There is an Offset setting. Forward for a transom model and rearward for a bow model. Just have to install the 360 software in your account when you register it.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

7. Member
    The offset isn't all its cracked up to be, in my opinion.
    It simply puts a dot on the screen X amount of offset feet away from the center boat icon to help you visualize where the GPS is in relation to the 360.
    Waypoints on the 360 screen don't always seem to be displayed accurately in relation to your position on the map.
    But I still like it