Question If you had no big motor - where would you fish on KY lake?

Strange ? - I know.. basically we are taking our kayaks to KY next week. Not asking for exact spots but if you locals had to pick a 5 mile area to fish in for quality bass, where would you go? This lake is so big and we are scratching our heads to pick suggested areas. Is there more grass or say rocky banks in certain areas? Are there areas less impacted by typical season winds? Between the north dam and the I-40 highway is a massive amount of water/shoreline. Feeling overwhelmed... Appreciate any insight - TIA

2. Banned
    Energy Lake

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Pick a bay, launch there and fish it. When you want to try another area, haul to it. Even with a 20ft boat, I’ll do that if it’s windy. The bays are big, and you can fish all day easily in some. Much of the main lake fishing is near the bay mouths anyway.

Wear bright colors and have lights in low light times. The chop on that lake can hide a kayak and it is legal to run on plane after dark.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Member
    Launch in any of the big bays. Id say Jonathon Creek or Blood river. Absoultely can not go wrong in either of those and could fish in them for an entire weekend

5. Banned
    Sugar Bay

6. Member
    Barkley Lake - Eddy Creek

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bassnpro1 View Post
    Barkley Lake - Eddy Creek
    That's a good one! Others over in that area would be Poplar Creek/Buzzard Rock Marina or Kuttawa Harbor

8. Member
    I like Pisgah and Sugar for northern side of the lake due to the many options and points within the bays.
    If I was going further south, I'd choose Blood River. It has a ton of options and is the size of many small lakes. You can just pick it apart. A lot of nice fish in there.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

9. Member
    Same for Blood River and Sugar Bay. Blood can be dynamite in the spring. It's basically a lake onto itself with large spawning flats and bays, while also providing deep water access.

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Pick a bay, launch there and fish it. When you want to try another area, haul to it. Even with a 20ft boat, I’ll do that if it’s windy. The bays are big, and you can fish all day easily in some. Much of the main lake fishing is near the bay mouths anyway.

Wear bright colors and have lights in low light times. The chop on that lake can hide a kayak and it is legal to run on plane after dark.
    + 1 This answer right here. When did Lake Barkley or Energy become part of Ky Lake

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 59tomitriton View Post
    + 1 This answer right here. When did Lake Barkley or Energy become part of Ky Lake
    Barkley is within the limits for the event the OP is probably coming out to fish, Energy lake is more than likely off limits (would have to portage a kayak to reach it from Barkley lake proper)

My bad. Just didn’t see or read anything on the post about Barkley

In a kayak, and regular boat for that matter, I'd have options on both sides of the lake and determine what the wind is supposed to do on the day you go. Then determine the bay...example... Pick Smith Bay on KY but have a wind out of the west...you will be very limited on fishing in that bay because the wind will be blowing in, but the other side of the lake, Big Bear (buckhorn, malcom, etc) would be calmer on that day as would lbl side of barkley with a wind out of the west.

14. Member
    Appreciate all the insight. Wind will probably be a major deciding factor. Need to get these names of locations memorized. Can’t wait to catch some KY / TN bass. To everyone be safe wherever you fish.

15. Banned
    Sorry 59. I was just trying to help a guy driving down to the lake area catch some good fish.

16. Member
    Have GPS so they can find u later

17. Member
    My bad. Just didn’t see or read anything on the post about Barkley

Always someone who is a bit up tight on BBC.

Lighten up buddy, life is too short

18. Member

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 58LesPaul View Post
    neat site - I have always used windfinder. Will have to compare these 2 sites. Thanks

Neville Bay in LBL . Has a ramp and you can camp.. Not on Kentucky. Opps....... Cypress bay

Both are excellent