Premium non Ethanol or E 10 Ethanol fuel for 2016 Mercury 150 4 stroke??

I have a 2016 Mercury 150 4 stroke, Have been running E 10 Ethanol fuel with no problems, also using all Mercury Fuel products. I talked to a different Mercury Mechanic who said to only use Premium fuel no ethanol in this motor. What is the best fuel for this Motor. I do have 110 hours on the motor with no problems. Going long term with this motor.. Thanks..

The general recommendation here is first get the recommended octane rating, either E10 or pure gas. If the right octane if available in both AND the pure gas if from a source the is replenished regularly go for it. But, that motor was designed to work perfectly with E10. I assume like the rest of us you run it in your truck every day without a second thought. The ethanol will not hurt it. There is a lot of residual fear left over from when engines where not designed for it and got it anyway. The only real problem with it in boats is that it can sit around unused and attract water. Proper treatments and fillimg the tank when you know it will go unused for long periods will help to prevent that.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

3. Member
    Thanks for info...

4. Member
    Check the FAQ at the top of the forum.

Fuel and Fuel Additives for 4-stroke Models
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    Check the FAQ at the top of the forum.

Fuel and Fuel Additives for 4-stroke Models
    +1

Please take a few minutes to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    +1

Please take a few minutes to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info when posting. Thanks!
    I have read the Announcement several times on Fuel, I see multiple Verados, but not the I4's 150 - 200HP Verado. Why is this or are they covered by "Standard 4 strokes"
    Last edited by Ches.; 03-27-2018 at 09:15 AM.
    2013 Lund 2010 Pro Guide, 150 Verado SN:2B024387
    2X Helix 12's Mega G2N's, Lvl. 2 Merc Monitor

7. Member
    They are covered in the FAQ fuel topic, exceptions are listed below standard models:

OCTANE:

-Standard 4-stroke Engine Models: 87 Octane
    -Verado PRO Models: 87 Octane Minimum (improved performance with 91+ Octane)
    -Verado 350 (new production model)- 91+ Recommended (89 minimum recommended)
    -Verado 350 SCI/Racing: 92 or above recommended
    -Verado 400R: 92 or above recommended

This is the Announcement (not the FAQ) Don is referring to and is at the VERY top of this page:

Please Read BEFORE Posting- Updated 10/05/2017
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

8. Member
    So Phil, is Don classifying the I4 Verado's with the Standard 4-Stroke Engine Models?
    Ches.
    2013 Lund 2010 Pro Guide, 150 Verado SN:2B024387
    2X Helix 12's Mega G2N's, Lvl. 2 Merc Monitor

9. Member
    Here's the recommended fuel for the 175hp - 200hp I-4 Verado direct from Mercury's website:

"Recommended fuel: Unleaded Regular 87 Octane Minimum (R+M/2) or 90 RON 10% Ethanol Maximum"

I think if your engine required something other than as stated above Don would have included it in the fuel FAQ topic.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ches. View Post
    So Phil, is Don classifying the I4 Verado's with the Standard 4-Stroke Engine Models?
    Ches.
    Yes, as it is a Standard Production Model.

Phil also offered some good info above (same info).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor