TR21 Tandem axle single leaf spring replacement

I have a 2000 Triton TR21 on an MFI Tandem axle trailer. I am replacing the old single leaf springs in it to a multi-leaf spring due to all the horror stories i have heard about them breaking, and I am trying to figure out which springs to order. I have removed one set on the left side of the trailer and when I measure them from eye to eye they are roughly 25 3/4" and the rest of them are roughly about the same. The springs that I am finding online are either 25 1/4" or 26". Am I just not finding the right springs or are mine really 25 1/4" and they are just that worn? I am hoping someone else that has done this can remember what the correct size spring is for this trailer. Any info would be helpful

2. BBC SPONSOR
    Contact MFI they might send them to you for no charge. They know they had a problem with the single leaf set-up.

3. Member
    Thank you, I will give them a call.

4. Member
    Let us know if they replace your springs for free.

5. Member
    Is MFI still in business? I am not finding any kind of website or contact info for them.

6. BBC SPONSOR
    Looks like they closed up shop back in 2016.

7. Member
    Those single leaf springs were junk and definitely flattened out over time. When I changed mine out years ago, I remember them being noticeably longer than the new ones. I think 25 1/4 sounds right, but unfortunately I don't remember the length of the replacements, sorry.

8. Member
    Thank you chefdave, I did go with the 25 1/4" but I seemed to have lost a lot of ride height, probably 1" -1 1/2" . I changed out the straps and equalizer with what our local trailer shop recommend. Went back today and now I am going to try a larger equalizer with more "drop" to get my ride height back (pushes the springs down, raising trailer height). Hoping this is does the trick.

9. Member
    I would measure bolts, nuts, links, equalizers and leaf springs eye to eye off Trailer. Most Trailer companies want these measurements anyway. I found serial numbers or even axle numbers didn't help with them. Trailer superstores.com should have everything , especially with changing springs to 3 or 4 leaf.

10. Member
    Send DABS a pm he will tell you what you need and where to get it from.
    Rocket

11. Member
    99 MFI trailer suspension rebuild

Here is what I did last fall. The springs you want are 26 inch. The springs I purchased were Triple leaf rated for 1500lbs. apiece. If it's all original, like mine was, you will find all of the plastic bushings completely shot and the holes in the equalizer hogged out. ( see attached thumbnails). I highly recommend the wet bolts. They have grease fittings that allow you to lube all the pivot points. No more squeaks.
    99 Tr21 with original MFI tandem trailer. After hearing numerous horror stories about the single leaf springs breaking and leaving guys stranded on the side of the road, as well as the constant squeaking with every move, I decided to rebuild the original suspension. New triple leaf springs, equalizers, bushings and greasable wet bolts. Nothing had ever been apart, impact wrench, PB Blaster and a big fu%#ing hammer a must. You can see in the photos the bushings were shot and the bolts had started hogging out the holes in the equalizer. About a 4 hour job with the boat off the trailer. Replaced the plastic bushings with bronze.
    Attached Images Attached Images