Weldwood All Weather Carpet Adhesive

I'll be replacing the carpet in my 99 Nitro 700 soon and I've been researching what types of adhesive to use. It certainly seems like the Weldwood contact cement is the most popular choice but my lack of experience with carpet work has me reluctant to use it. It seems like it might be too unforgiving for my comfort level. I think I'd prefer to leave the contact cement for the edges. Having said that, I was looking at carpets and glue on Bassboatseats.com and there is a big note in red concerning their adhesive stating that it should not be used for fiberglass surfaces because it's water based and would not be able to cure properly. They say to use solvent based adhesives for fiberglass applications. Henry 263 seems to be a popular choice but I'm not sure if I can get that to easily. Another solvent based adhesive that seems readily available is Weldwood All Weather Outdoor Carpet Adhesive. Has anyone used this glue before?

http://www.dap.com/dap-products-ph/w...rpet-adhesive/

2. Member
    When I replaced my carpet I used Roberts 6700 for the bulk of my application and then used the Original Weldwood contact cement for all of the edges. To date I have not had any problems with my installation. I hope this helps you out.

3. Banned
    the good stuff from henry was impossible for me to track down. So i went with contact cement.

I wrote a thread about my noob experience with contact cement. Look it over, follow my tips...and jump in! its not as bad as it seems!

4. Member
    I found some of the outdoor only solvent-based Henry 263 on eBay. I haven't bought it yet but I am thinking about it. I may be overthinking it but with this being my first time carpeting a boat the contact cement certainly has me intimidated.
    Last edited by Nitro1369; 03-13-2018 at 02:21 AM.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro1369 View Post
    I found some of the outdoor only solvent-based Henry 263 on eBay. I haven't bought it yet but I am thinking about it. I may be overthinking it but with this being my first time carpeting a boat the contact cement certainly has me intimidated.
    if thats the all weather, or whatever its called, thats good on bass carpet....get it! Havent heard anything bad about it in all my searches...plus it will give you a bit more flexibility...you just gotta get enough clamps and things to hold it in during curing. Contact cement is supposed to be touch and go

6. Member
    Made a few phone calls and was able to order the Henry 263 WeatherPro from Home Depot. They carry Henry products but have never had the 263. So they called the manufacturer and opened a special SKU and ordered it. It comes in a 1 gallon 4-pack for $81 or a 3.5 gallon pale for $66. They won't split the 4-pack so it's all or none. The eBay stuff I found was priced at $136 a freakin gallon!!!! Needless to say, in about 10 days or so I'll be picking up the order from Home Depot.

Some states like the one I live in have banned the god stuff. Don't go to heavy on the glue is my advice, It doesnt take that much to work well.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

8. Member
    I re-carpeted my old ranger several years ago with some cheap carpet I got at a local carpet store. I used 3M spray for the entire job. Boat sits outside 24/7/365, uncovered June, July and August. Absolutely no signs of lifting anywhere.

9. Member
    This is the good chit. https://www.ebay.com/i/281094382720?chn=ps&dispItem=1 Spray it on, you don't want to screw around with that trowel on crap. With this glue you won't need any stupid clamps, warm it up. Been using it for 20 + years, never had an issue.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR