A couple of issues with my 05 TR-196 I need help with

First, my nav lights don't appear to be working. Would this typically be a switch or breaker issue?

second, 5" lowrance unit up front is the 2nd once since buying the boat. Can't get it to consistently read depths. Had the same issue with previous unit. Is this most likely a transducer vs the unit issue?

third, drain in step up cooler appears to be plugged from some paper wrapping off a can. Tried wet vac and didn't get much result. Should I try compressed air or water pressure next and hope I don't plug it worse, or a more powerful vac?

Navigation lights: Have they ever worked? There is not a common solution for every electrical problem. You'll need to get a voltmeter and check the voltage at the pins in the light socket with the switch on and work your way back. The rear light is easier to check as the wiring is easier to see in the bilge area. Get one working and go from there.

Bow mounted Lowrance graph: Where is the power wire connected? If not connected directly to the cranking battery with soldered connections, then all bets are off whether the graph will work correctly. If your boat was rigged by a dealer, don't assume that they know how to wire electronics. If the graph was rigged by Triton, I would assume the same!! Where is the transducer?

Cooler drain: I've never tried to access the bottom of my cooler drain so I don't know if it's even possible. I think they drain to the bilge anyways and if it is just paper, I'd fill the cooler with water and see if it softens the paper to the point of moving through the drain line. I use my cooler for storage and bring a soft sided cooler for my drinks/lunch. I've never added ice to my step up cooler to see if it drains.

EDIT: Spelling
    Last edited by Bob G.; 03-11-2018 at 11:29 AM.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

3. Member
    Thx Bob. Yes, nav lights have been working.

The graph shows everything else, it's just the depth that blinks regularly, not showing the correct depth. The transducer is mounted on the trolling motor via a big hose clamp.

The cooler has had the melted ice water setting in it for 4 days now, so it's plugged well enough the water isn't softening it. Just wondering if trying to force it out with air or water pressure is going to make it worse, vs stronger suction trying to pull it back up?

thanks!

4. Member
    Liquid plumber in the cooler.....
    2015 189 trx

5. Member
    I would carefully use some air pressure.

6. Member
    Cooler drains right into the bilge. Poke hole with a coat hanger or wire. Unit on bow may need to be set on shallow water or fishing mode.

Use a drywall or wood screw that is smaller than the hole and with your fingers to slowly thread it into the paper, once you have a decent bite try to pull it back up. I've had to do this a couple times.

The larger the thread the better it works.
    2009 Triton 20X3
    Mercury 250 ProXS

"Can't" means "don't want to"

8. Member
    Thx folks!! I'll try those tomorrow. My only concern would be what liquid plumber might do to that drain area.

thanks again!!!

any more ideas on the nav lights?

and as to another question posed...who might have the correct cover for that middle seat?

9. Member
    No liquid plumber. You don't want that stuff in your bilge....

10. Member
    That's kinda what I was thinking. Thx Mr Savage!

11. Member

12. Member
    I just bought and am working on the same boat model and year, and I actually had the same issue with the cooler. As Savage said, do not use heating or harsh chemicals as they can soften electric wire sheathing and some rubber lines in the bilge. I simply put the garden hose (the old turn style nozzle) next to the drain and gave it a quick shot. All is good to go now.

check the switch on the bow also. Thought mine were not working till I flipped it on the bow.

14. Banned
    lowrance unit filled with water???? I went thru 5 on my ranger

15. Member
    Going through a few things today. The breaker was tripped on the nav lights. Reset and it stayed on a bit, then tripped again. The former owner has a small spotlight upfront wired into the nav lights there, running under the trolling motor mount. I'm guessing the mount has worn through the hot wire and is shorting it out. Tomorrow's project.

Tried a hanger in the front cooler. Didn't go far. Looks like I'm gonna need to try some water or air pressure on it tomorrow.

ill have to check the front unit. Last trip to Mexico, our best day it rained most the day. 175 fish in the boat, but my 2 co's got wet and didn't want to hit it early the next morning.

thanks guys!!!

Try a stronger wet vac first to see if you can get whatever it is out the same way it went in.....don't want to push it further into the drain system.....don't know but you may be able to rent one

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739

17. Member
    I like that suggestion. Although water will now drain out its kinda slow. I sure don't want to create more of an issue.
    As suspectted, once I changed out that little front spotlight, it solved the issue with the nav lights. Didn't run the wiring under the TM this time around. Drilled through the lower base and solved that.
    Called Lowrance and they said if both the depth is flashing and the color display is only partially working the processor is going out. As a cheapo I bought a used, slightly upgraded unit off here to put in the bow. Thanks to all of you guys for your suggestions!