2008 250eTec EMM

Took my boat out today. Motor started and ran for about 5 seconds. Tried to restart but shot fuse in motor. Replaced the fuse and tried to restart but noticed smoke coming from the bottom of the EMM. Is this a EMM problem or would something else be causing it to smoke. Just wandering if this is a common issue with 2008 250 eTec HO. Motor has about 300 hours and 2 injectors have been replaced previously. Thanks

2. Member
    It would be pretty easy to see if the EMM got hot and smoked by looking at it. Do you have wing nuts on the battery?

3. Member
    I have regular nuts on the battery. I checked and they are tight. The smoke came from the bottom of the EMM. It immediately shoots the fuse now when the switch is turned on.

4. Member
    Not good due to vibrations and they maybe tight now but any voltage spikes due to loose nuts will cause this sort of thing. As mentioned a quick look at the EMM potting will see if it has got hot. An EMM recovery would be worth a shot too. Replace nuts with nylock nuts too.

5. Member
    Thanks

6. Member
    Took to dealer and he said EMM is shorted out. He couldn't find any other problems that would cause the EMM failure. Will replace battery nuts with lock nuts when I get the boat back from the shop.

-----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

8. Member
    Thanks for the diagram. Got my boat back from the shop and ran it yesterday. Everything working as it should.

9. Member
    OK guys I have another issue. Today I was running about 5000 RPMs when the motor starting losing power. Felt like I was letting up on the throttle but wasn't. The engine finally stopped and would not restart. After trolling about 30 minutes back to the ramp I tried to start it again. It started but not all cylinders were firing. Turned it back off immediately. Any thoughts on what the problem is?

10. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    You're going to need to have diagnostics done. If you don't have a diagnostic program...

Do a compression check, sounds like you blew a piston.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

12. Member
    Well number 2 piston is blown. Big hole in the side of the block.

13. Member
    If you are looking to buy a good used motor, call Barling Boat in Ft. Smith Ark. I know they have (or at least had) a good used 250 HO. It had all new injectors and a new lower unit. I know because it was mine. They only have about $5,000 in it. It’s a haul from where you are, but would a cheap fix.
    2022 Ranger Z520R, 2022 Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM