Bell and engine lights flashing on Smartcraft

0T920816 225 Optimax. Last weekend I got a bell and engine light flashing but no beep. Temp was 123 with around 11 PSI water pressure at 3000 RPM. At idle the temp did get up to 170 a couple times but usually was no higher than 145. Computer diagnostics said "starboard overheat". I replaced the starboard stat and installed a new water pump, same problem happened today. The flashing starts when giving it throttle to get on plane and will stop flashing when letting off. I plan to get it scanned again this week at dealer, but wondering if anyone else has had this problem and how it was corrected?

2. Member
    Check the port thermostat.

3. Member
    Port side stat “looks” good but I’ll probably go ahead and replace it anyway.

4. Member
    Update. I had my boat hooked to laptop today and the only fault was a compressor temp fault. Compressor was 127 degrees at the time of fault and water coolant was 98 degrees on both heads. Tech didn’t seem to have know for sure what it could be. Compressor going bad?? There’s also an intermittent fuel leak where the fuel line comes into the port fuel rail.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan T View Post
    0T920816 225 Optimax. Last weekend I got a bell and engine light flashing but no beep. Temp was 123 with around 11 PSI water pressure at 3000 RPM. At idle the temp did get up to 170 a couple times but usually was no higher than 145. Computer diagnostics said "starboard overheat". I replaced the starboard stat and installed a new water pump, same problem happened today. The flashing starts when giving it throttle to get on plane and will stop flashing when letting off. I plan to get it scanned again this week at dealer, but wondering if anyone else has had this problem and how it was corrected?
    What happened to the "
    Computer diagnostics said "starboard overheat"?

6. Member
    No idea. I assume they cleared it last time?? They plugged in laptop this time and ran motor on the hose. Everything looked fine while running. The alarm doesn’t start flashing til around mid day so it’s hard to duplicate on the hose.

7. Member
    Have you also cleaned the compressor strainer?

8. Member
    Checked it about a month ago. I’ll check it again this afternoon.

9. Member
    Compressor strainer is clean.

10. Member
    Does water flow from the compressor discharge hose?

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Does water flow from the compressor discharge hose?
    +1

Also, please verify that your warning horn sounds a "test beep" at keyup.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    +1

Also, please verify that your warning horn sounds a "test beep" at keyup.
    Not for sure which hose that is but water is going into compressor and coming out of the telltale hose.

Beeps every time I hit the start button.

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Since you've had two different indications of temperature problems, it would be wise to go back to the source (and replace the Water Pump) before proceeding any further.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor