Banned

Help please ...Needs advice with wet transom don't know what to do?

Hey guys any advice please! I had pulled a screw out of my transom and noticed there was water in the hole/ cavity. I though had had all the water drained and dry and was prepping to epoxy then gel coat the hole. I stuffed some shot towels in the hole and they kept coming out wet. My boat is a mint 2013 ranger z118. How do I dry the transom out, I have a heater on it now but no idea if this will work. Any advice would be appreciated!

thx

joe

2. Banned
    Sorry for double post.

3. Member
    I would contact ranger themselves. Something tells me they will be able to pinpoint exactly what the issue is

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 90bumblebee View Post
    I would contact ranger themselves. Something tells me they will be able to pinpoint exactly what the issue is
    The issue was the factory didn't put enough silicon under the screw.

5. Member
    Then make them deal with it ! It's not your problem ! You don't even want to get into this issue ! If you have visible water coming out, the transom is probably saturated in that area, if not further !

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike D. View Post
    Then make them deal with it ! It's not your problem ! You don't even want to get into this issue ! If you have visible water coming out, the transom is probably saturated in that area, if not further !
    I dried it out wasn't that much. Figured it out and made the repair.

Quote Originally Posted by jtracc View Post
    I dried it out wasn't that much. Figured it out and made the repair.
    I strongly doubt you dried it out. If it was wet before I promise you it's wet now. Put a moisture meter on it and you will see.
    Proud Army Dad

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by marinetechnician View Post
    I strongly doubt you dried it out. If it was wet before I promise you it's wet now. Put a moisture meter on it and you will see.
    The water was contained to the cavity that was made by the drill bit. The pulltrusion hull shouldn't absorb the water. That's probably the reason it spilled out when the screw came off. After drying it out I stuffed thin strips of shop towels in the hole they came out dry after I left them in there for several minutes. If the transom was wet the towels would have been damp. They where dry, so this leads me to believe the moisture was contained in this cavity and is now dry. Please I mean no disrespect, but the 1991 ranger you own was built a lot different then the 2013 model I have.

The water was contained to the cavity that was made by the drill bit. The pulltrusion hull shouldn't absorb the water. That's probably the reason it spilled out when the screw came off. After drying it out I stuffed thin strips of shop towels in the hole they came out dry after I left them in there for several minutes. If the transom was wet the towels would have been damp. They where dry, so this leads me to believe the moisture was contained in this cavity and is now dry. Please I mean no disrespect, but the 1991 ranger you own was built a lot different then the 2013 model I have.
    Your transom is prolly ok. Please keep in mind the boat a person owns doesn’t represent the knowledge he may have....also the towels you put in the holes that came out dry doesn’t mean all the water is out.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

None taken , my Ranger is bone dry. I am the shop foreman at a good size boatyard so I do have a good reason for making that statement. Like I said a moisture meter will tell all. Never buy a used boat without a good quality one. Just my 2 cents.
    Proud Army Dad

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by marinetechnician View Post
    None taken , my Ranger is bone dry. I am the shop foreman at a good size boatyard so I do have a good reason for making that statement. Like I said a moisture meter will tell all. Never buy a used boat without a good quality one. Just my 2 cents.
    I spoke with ranger today, I explained where the hole was and he assured me that in this area there is nothing water can damage. Where the motor mounts is all pulltrusion composites and that the water has know where to go. There is no foam in this area as well. He explained what I suspected that the water that was in there was contained to the cavity that was made by the drill bit. He said ranger warranties there transom to never rot. Cleaned/dry out hole, filled with marine epoxy and gel coated over.