Meecury 4 stroke 150

Above is my motor I live in Iowa and asked if runing the motor in cold temps would hurt it I was told no if I lower the unit and drain it after use. I’m just curious though because it’s about 30 here daily wth colder nights around 20 or below. How long should I run it once I turn it on?
    anything else I should do?

2. Member
    I have a 150HP, 4 stroke and also live in Iowa. If I were not a p<EDIT>y with the cold, and went out, I'd probably unload at the boat ramp and let it idle while I parked the truck. Then I'd go fishing, by then the temperature should be close to the full operating temp. Most ramps have a "No Wake" area to open water and that should get it up to full temp ahead of hammer down.

I would most certainly give it plenty of time to drain all the water out of the lower unit after loading it back up, as it could freeze on the drive home otherwise.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 03-15-2018 at 12:47 PM.
    2015 Ranger Z118C w/150 Mercury 4s

3. Member
    From IA now in MO I have a 2013 z518 with Merc 150 4, I alway's blew out the lines from the sensor's for WP & Speedo. Their was always some water in the hoses maybe not enough to break hose but felt safer then having to replace lines. Of course it was a Pita to get to the sensor's so i moved the Speedo sensor into the battery compartment and installed push loc fittings on sensor, the WP i changed out the complete system to the old style of water to gauge in dash installing a push loc fitting below gauge so i can blow out the complete line I just didn't like the pressure reading on the electric gauge for WP.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please take a few minutes to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info when posting. Thanks!

No problem as long as you get it up to temp, run it, and then drain all water out before trailering (park with engine in the full DOWN position).

See Engine Owner's Manual also.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor