Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trailer Talk, Basscat and Ranger.

From Cat to Ranger. Cat builds high quality trailer, Ranger builds high quality trailer. My observations between the two, not bashing either. BassCat spare tire is under hung. Great location but my wheel oxidized and needed frequent maintenance. Ranger spare is mounted on the side. I am pretty anal when towing, especially at night. Had a couple tire failures on my Cat trailer, tread separation but I could see/feel the problem before I trashed a fender. Cant see my lights on trailer or tires on Ranger trailer when towing. When launching my Eyra, there was a sweet spot. Get it right and Cat will launch itself. Ranger-there is no dammed sweet spot. I have tried every depth possible and there is not a sweet spot launching a Ranger, it's not fun. What should be just right and I have to power off. Little bit deeper and the bow rub rail smashes down on the bow roller. I think that goes back to the keel rollers on Cat trailer. I don't like bow rub rail smashing down on bow roller! Gonna have to give the Cat trailer the good old Am pretty anal about trailers, don't get me on a rant about tube frame trailers!

2. Member
    Don't like tubes either and the ramp angle is what dictates the loading problems you talk about I have gator baks on my Ranger trail and I have learned how to load my 21.7 ft boat every time I use my fenders as a guide, no experience at Basscat yet, I will never have anything but a Ranger Trail or Basscat trailer, NEVER AGAIN TUBE TRAILER under any boat I own both companies build a great boat and trailer oh almost forgot NO PLASTIC DASH PANELS either I run a 2014 Z521C .

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TopgunZ521C View Post
    Don't like tubes either and the ramp angle is what dictates the loading problems you talk about I have gator baks on my Ranger trail and I have learned how to load my 21.7 ft boat every time I use my fenders as a guide, no experience at Basscat yet, I will never have anything but a Ranger Trail or Basscat trailer, NEVER AGAIN TUBE TRAILER under any boat I own both companies build a great boat and trailer oh almost forgot NO PLASTIC DASH PANELS either I run a 2014 Z521C .
    You'll be buying a Cat if you don't want plastic dash panels. Have you seen how much plastic is on a new Ranger L boat? Ranger guys can no longer critique boats with plastic, as it has the most of any out there currently.

4. Member
    My 2017 Ranger RT spare is slung underneath in the same place as my Cats were. Both seem to make good trailers. My Cats came with better quality tires and the steps on the fenders were more useable for someone with a size 13 shoe.

The caracal I have is kinda particular about how its loaded/ unloaded. It sits up high on the trailer compared to some of the models. Have they tweaked the design on the caracal trailer at all? Since 2016? You can mash the nose if your not careful and have to power load the boat pretty hard... How does the eyra compare in loading?
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

6. Member
    Those are the 2 best trailers out there for bass boats in my opinion. Of the ones I've owned, the Rangers load much easier and are much less picky on trailer depth etc. I think this is more on the hull design of the boat rather than a trailer issue.

7. Member
    Does Ranger still use those oil bath hubs? I hate those things. I don't care if every semi in the world uses them I have had nothing but trouble out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by jigman51 View Post
    Does Ranger still use those oil bath hubs? I hate those things. I don't care if every semi in the world uses them I have had nothing but trouble out of them.
    Just went out in the garage to look. Am sure oil bath. Have had good luck with oil bath myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Louie View Post
    The caracal I have is kinda particular about how its loaded/ unloaded. It sits up high on the trailer compared to some of the models. Have they tweaked the design on the caracal trailer at all? Since 2016? You can mash the nose if your not careful and have to power load the boat pretty hard... How does the eyra compare in loading?
    Eyra will launch itself without smashing nose on bow roller. Loads very easy also.

Quote Originally Posted by TopgunZ521C View Post
    It's the same ramp I always use, 2 miles from my driveway. Cat always launched without a hitch. Have tried to find sweet spot on Ranger. There aint one! Either I have to hard power off or bash the nose on roller. Have tried backing trailer in to top front of tire, wont unload without heavy power. Backed in another inch next time. Heavy power to unload. Backed it in another inch next time-nose bash on roller. Ranger trailer is not user friendly.

Ranger should have Vault hubs as they moved to UFP Vault like BCB after the 2010 bankruptcy.

IMO the spare tire holder on my 14 puma trailer is a terrible design. The tire lays rests primarily on the fairly sharp edge of that bracket. I've never used the spare, but the integrity of the sidewall looks questionable. I can't believe the bottom support bracket isn't welded at the same angle that the tire has to lay on it. The tire has to lay at that angle because that's the angle of the center bracket that is welded to this cross bracket.

Has anyone fixed this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mossie3 View Post
    IMO the spare tire holder on my 14 puma trailer is a terrible design. The tire lays rests primarily on the fairly sharp edge of that bracket. I've never used the spare, but the integrity of the sidewall looks questionable. I can't believe the bottom support bracket isn't welded at the same angle that the tire has to lay on it. The tire has to lay at that angle because that's the angle of the center bracket that is welded to this cross bracket.

Has anyone fixed this?
    Watching this, always wondered myself. Definitely creates an indentation on the sidewall of the spare...
    2021 BassCat Pantera Classic - Mercury
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2015 BassCat Caracal Mercury - Minn Kota - Humminbird - Powerpole
    2012 BassCat Pantera II - Mercury
    2004 BassCat Cougar - Mercury

14. Member
    [QUOTE=electritek;9174217]It's the same ramp I always use, 2 miles from my driveway. Cat always launched without a hitch. Have tried to find sweet spot on Ranger. There aint one! Either I have to hard power off or bash the nose on roller. Have tried backing trailer in to top front of tire, wont unload without heavy power. Backed in another inch next time. Heavy power to unload. Backed it in another inch next time-nose bash on roller. Ranger trailer is not user friendly.[/QUOTE

Loosen the bow strap and give yourself about a foot or 2 of slack and when you back in pop the brakes and let it back off a little to miss the roller.

15. Member
    I have an 02 Ranger 185VS with the single axle trailer. Finish on the trailer is extremely tough and still looks good after 16 years. Fiberglass fenders are relatively still nice with a little spider cracking in some places. I also owned a mid 80's Skeeter Starfire 185 that had their trailer and loaded and unloaded extremely easy. The Ranger trailer is not as easy to unload as others I have had and I usually have to bury the fenders under the water to get the boat off. Since I am usually the only one loading or unloading and my Pickup has a short bed I get my feet wet even when using the back tire of the truck as a step into the bed with the tailgate down. Have started using a long rope to tie to the bow ring so when I back down I can go far enough to float the boat and then pull up and pull it back lightly on the trailer. I need to find a really strong bungee type cord to unload. Yeah, the Ranger is not that easy to load either as the fenders need to be slightly above water and it is easy to run over a fender when loading. Trailer pulls nice though and my spare is underneath the bow of my boat.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TAKFishing View Post
    Watching this, always wondered myself. Definitely creates an indentation on the sidewall of the spare...
    Bet there is a reason. Bass cat puts it on there, there’s a reason. Lol to much R&D in that trailer to just put it on there.
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

17. Member
    I've owned a couple of Cats, and now run Ranger Z521c. They both make high quality trailers, no issues with either of them. As far as launching and loading the boats. It's all about the depth of the trailer, I use the same method as TOPGUN mentioned, I use the fenders as a gauge for depth, once you find the correct sweet spot, they launch and load with ease. Never an issue hitting the bow rub rail on the roller. I will say that I preferred the spare mount on the Cat, not as easy to remove as the Ranger, but the Ranger spare is in the way when detailing the boat.

18. Member
    I never cared for the side mount spare on Ranger, I don't like not seeing well on that side when backing up. And it makes me think I'll hit something everytime I back my buddy's Ranger down ha.

The under the boat mount is nice as it's out of the way......but it's a pain getting down there at 4am on a Saturday to change a flat on the side of the interstate. I had to do that the other week, first time in years!

But I love my Kitty holder. 2.5 years and no electrical shorts, no lights out, no brake issues. I can't say that about the tube style trailer I had with another brand :)

19. Member
    Ok, we all can like whatever we want, But Why wont Johnny let Ranger Rig a Verado 250 on a Ranger bass boat? If the 15inch Wide Pultruted bolted transom is so Amazing, why does a Verado not work? Why would you bring out the Iconic Editon and not allow a Verado, thats very weird to me, is it because of the New Merc V8 or is it a Weight thing?

20. Member
    Tube trailers are junk period I'm speaking from experience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast