Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Scraps
    One thing about the Ranger side-mounted spare, on a steep crested ramp you can drag that spare on the top of the ramp and/or break the mounts. That said, I LOVED my RangerTrail fro 18yrs. I like the glass fenders as I think the original idea, compared to boxed fenders, was to have the boat sit lower on the trailer making better towing. Compared to my current Phoenix the trailer is one of the biggest differences or dislikes with Phoenix..
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Ozark Boats did the original fiberglass fenders in 1976.

After another week of in and outs-Ranger trailer is not user friendly. The Ranger guys can toot all they want, they haven't launched and loaded on Cat trailer.

4. Member
    I was Cat owner for over 13 years, and now own a Ranger. The difference is the person launching and loading, just like driving these boats, some get it, and some never will. Both exceptional boats and trailers.

5. Member
    My Ranger is the easiest loading boat I've owned. Much better than my previous 198 Champ. I fish a variety of lakes with a wide variation of ramp quality and have no issues with my current rig. Never have launched a Cat but I don't know how it could be that much better. To me, the companies mentioned here build the highest quality trailers bar none.
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

Quote Originally Posted by fishin4bass View Post
    I was Cat owner for over 13 years, and now own a Ranger. The difference is the person launching and loading, just like driving these boats, some get it, and some never will. Both exceptional boats and trailers.
    Am 63 yrs old, been launching and loading for over 40 years. Have had a big variety of rigs, I get it. Ranger does not launch easy. Either you power off with a cold Merc or you back in a little deeper and bash the nose on the roller.

7. Member
    I loosen the winch on mine and give 5 or 6 turns on the handle to give some slack and then lock the winch. Then remove the safety strap. Back in the water and the boat floats back on its own with absolutely no issue. I hop in, start it up, unhook the winch (give a little more slack if needed to do so) and back off at idle. Works everytime.

Quote Originally Posted by electritek View Post
    Am 63 yrs old, been launching and loading for over 40 years. Have had a big variety of rigs, I get it. Ranger does not launch easy. Either you power off with a cold Merc or you back in a little deeper and bash the nose on the roller.
    Dont care if you have been launching and loading for a hundred years if you have to power off the trailer you are doing something wrong my friend , I have owned both a Cat and now a Ranger and have never had to power off either of them

Quote Originally Posted by Bassin Bob71 View Post
    I loosen the winch on mine and give 5 or 6 turns on the handle to give some slack and then lock the winch. Then remove the safety strap. Back in the water and the boat floats back on its own with absolutely no issue. I hop in, start it up, unhook the winch (give a little more slack if needed to do so) and back off at idle. Works everytime.
    ^^^^^^^This^^^^^^

Never had this circus on the ramp launching a Cat. Loosening winch 5 or 6 turns means would allow bow eye another 2+ foot from winch. Don't feel I should have to crawl down trailer in frigid water to unhook bow hook because of poorly engineered trailer. Didn't have this problem with Cat! I suggest you have accepted poor engineering and design as normal. It's not.

Never had this circus on the ramp launching a Cat. Loosening winch 5 or 6 turns means would allow bow eye another 2+ foot from winch. Don't feel I should have to crawl down trailer in frigid water to unhook bow hook because of poorly engineered trailer. Didn't have this problem with Cat! I suggest you have accepted poor engineering and design as normal. It's not.
    You must have short legs sir,, I dont have to crawl down anything,,,,,,,,,,, just step on the front step, reach under and undo strap and step on front of boat and go ,, same as i did with the Cat , Hope you get it figured out I would go by the dealership that you purchased it from and have them check it out ,, maybe something is not right with your trailer

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by River-Bandit View Post
    You must have short legs sir,, I dont have to crawl down anything,,,,,,,,,,, just step on the front step, reach under and undo strap and step on front of boat and go ,, same as i did with the Cat , Hope you get it figured out I would go by the dealership that you purchased it from and have them check it out ,, maybe something is not right with your trailer
    Right....my feet never touch the water. I agree with Bandit that maybe something is wrong with your trailer and I'd have the dealer check it out. I used this same process with all my Champs too and it worked well. Some ramps gave the Champ trailers fits when loading but unloading following this method was a breeze.

My trailer does not have a side mounted step. It has the new Ranger engineered boarding steps on stbd side. Loosening winch 5 or 6 turns and I cannot get to bow hook unless I wear waders and unhook from port side! There are many differences on my rig. It's a new L. I think this was the first offering of Ranger boarding steps. Ranger rep should be here next week for Anglers in Action Tourney. Will have him take a close look at these issues. Something is not right.

14. Member
    I simply back in, unhitch the winch strap, and float off. No drama, no banging, no thinking. Just as easy to load with a touch of power until contact, then a little more to get it up to the roller.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by River-Bandit View Post
    Dont care if you have been launching and loading for a hundred years if you have to power off the trailer you are doing something wrong my friend , I have owned both a Cat and now a Ranger and have never had to power off either of them
    Don't know anything about Ranger trailers, but certain model Cats you will need to power off the trailer. If you don't, the TM will hit the bow roller when it slides off the trailer, and same if you don't power load, the nose will hit the bow roller. Pantera series and Sabre.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

Quote Originally Posted by Bassin Bob71 View Post
    I use to do that with a Hydrasport I owned. Then one time the winch strap broke while backing into the water, and there goes the boat floating away by itself.

Almost 2 years ago I posted this thread about the trailer on my Ranger 521 L not having a sweet spot when launching. Was Bass Cat trailer spoiled. That was the biggest complaint I had for 2 years, trying to get that boat off the trailer. The guys on the Ranger forum kept telling me to back in in deeper. I didn't want to wear waders to launch my boat. Bought a new 2020 521L last week. Took it to the ramp and backed in to normal depth. Started Merc and this 521 L idles of the trailer. I figure 2018 was the first run of the 521L, that trailer did not fit the boat. Was a good boat, POS trailer.

18. Member
    Almost 2 years ago I posted this thread about the trailer on my Ranger 521 L not having a sweet spot when launching. Was Bass Cat trailer spoiled. That was the biggest complaint I had for 2 years, trying to get that boat off the trailer. The guys on the Ranger forum kept telling me to back in in deeper. I didn't want to wear waders to launch my boat. Bought a new 2020 521L last week. Took it to the ramp and backed in to normal depth. Started Merc and this 521 L idles of the trailer. I figure 2018 was the first run of the 521L, that trailer did not fit the boat. Was a good boat, POS trailer.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12