Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone ever get "delayed" on background check?

I have probably bought 12-13 rifles in the last 3 years. I bought one about 3 weeks ago and I didn't get delayed, but it took about 15-20 minutes before I got the all clear for the gun. They normally get the OK within 2 or 3 minutes. But I went Thursday to pick up my tang safety Ruger 77 in 250 Sav. and I got delayed! I had never even heard of that. Said it might be the 14th before they heard back from them. My friend owns the pawn/gun shop and I didn't call today since he wasn't going to be in and I didn't want to bother his help. But I am miffed and ticked to say the least. Has anyone ever been "delayed" before when buying a firearm? Especially if you regularly buy one, I'd like to know the why's of being delayed if anyone can elaborate for me. And no, I haven't been arrested or anything...lol.

2. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    I have heard people who have popular first and last names have issues with being delayed. Im not sure if that could be or not. I have never waited more than about 3 minutes once the paperwork is filled out.

3. Member
    Yep. John smith, Jose Rivera and the like get delayed frequently. All it possibly takes is one person with the same name to commit a felony somewhere.

4. Member

USA

Might have just been a server or computer problem in the system.

5. Member
    My carry license has always slowed down my buys, but last time it just took five minutes or so while they scoured the data.
    2016 Lowe FS 1710
    2016 Mercury Pro XS 115

6. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Never waited more than 5 minutes..."EXCEPT AT CABELAS" Took 4 hours there as they are S~~ L ~~O~~W. It wasn't the agency fault.

7. Member
    Hey preacher ed , I sent you a pm about your 250 Sav.

8. Member
    Usually I see delays with people who have military/police/etc backgrounds (Maybe just because they have more records out there to see and it slows up the system needing to find them all) and people who have accidentally entered information incorrectly (misspelled addresses seem to be the biggest culprit) . Never seen any other real rhyme or reason for delays, and unfortunately the atf doesn't allow checks on 4473 statuses so there's no way of really knowing when it will come back.

9. Member
    ive only twice NOT been delayed, its very annoying.
    only reason i can come up with is some one with the exact same name in some northern state is a trouble maker, cause me some grief when i applied for my drivers licence when i was 16.. crazy thing they came out ready to arrest me because there were warrants out for the guy who name and date of birth was the same as mine, only his birth year was 78 an mine is 87.. took me near 3 weeks to get it straightened out.

Alabama now does not require a check on concealed carry permit holders. so no more delays for me.

10. Member
    TNbasskicker...replied my Friend!

Thanks guys for the replies. This has really got me bamboozled. Years ago when I bought the 1st rifle after they started this, I can't remember if I got approved that day but it was several hours, or if it was the next day. I think it was the next day. But since then, until 3 weeks ago it was 2 or 3 minutes at the most. And as I think I said, 3 weeks ago I had to wait 20 minutes or so. But this is about to kill me...lol. I mean, even as salty as I am, I've stayed pretty clean these last 3 weeks! No encounters at all with an LEO...lol. Well, hopefully this week I can pick it up. I have another rifle on lay a way at another gun shop and was going to pick it up as well but am waiting to see what transpires with the little 250. I'm a Ruger 77 guy and the other rifle is an old Ruger Round Top or a 77ST. It will be my 2nd 77ST. Thanks again and have a blessed day-Eddie

11. Member
    Got delayed last purchase, first time.

12. Member
    [QUOTE=preacher ed;9176713]TNbasskicker...replied my Friend!

Thanks guys for the replies. This has really got me bamboozled. Years ago when I bought the 1st rifle after they started this, I can't remember if I got approved that day but it was several hours, or if it was the next day. I think it was the next day. But since then, until 3 weeks ago it was 2 or 3 minutes at the most. And as I think I said, 3 weeks ago I had to wait 20 minutes or so. But this is about to kill me...lol. I mean, even as salty as I am, I've stayed pretty clean these last 3 weeks! No encounters at all with an LEO...lol. Well, hopefully this week I can pick it up. I have another rifle on lay a way at another gun shop and was going to pick it up as well but am waiting to see what transpires with the little 250. I'm a Ruger 77 guy and the other rifle is an old Ruger Round Top or a 77ST. It will be my 2nd 77ST. Thanks again and have a blessed day-Eddie[/QUOTE

If I understand right if they don't reject you, you can pick it up after three days or so.
    2016 Lowe FS 1710
    2016 Mercury Pro XS 115

13. Member
    Sparkkky-someone on a gun forum I posted on (I think it was) said that. And some said it was up to the FFL holder and they could be held accountable in some instances, so who knows. Dealing with the government very few things are cut and dried. It's all a moot point this time as my buddy text me today and said I was good to go. Said all he could think of was it was just a glitch in the system. So...if nothing tears up, later on today (Tuesday) I will drive over and pick up one of my Holy Grails of the Ruger 77 world! I'm pretty pumped about it. Took a Leupold M8 4X off another rifle to put on it. BTW...if any of you have an old M8 in a 4 or 6X you would sell for a decent price, let me know. I'm interested. I am not looking for a giveaway but don't want to break the bank either. Thanks guys! Eddie

14. Banned
    You will really like the little .250 Savage. In our quest for bigger, faster, flatter, longer (myself include as I have a .220 Swift AI and a .348-.338 AI) there are lots of very nice cartridges tried and true. They do the job very well, are comfortable to shoot and don’t alarm half the county when they go off.

15. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    We are a Class 1 FFL and do background checks..delays are common. With all that has gone on lately the ATF is being more cautious then ever. If you get a delay there is something in your background, that throws up a red flag and requires further review, I can assure you.

16. Member
    kandk...there might be. However, I have never been arrested. Never been sued. Nothing I am aware of that would even remotely be anything I am aware of that would have been a problem. Again, I have bought a number of rifles in the past several years and except for one time I have been okayed within a minute or 2 of them entering the information. The other time was probably 15-20 minutes for some reason. And I certainly haven't done anything in the last 3 weeks that would be worthy of being delayed since my last purchase. It will be interesting next week when I pick up another rifle to see how long it takes. Hopefully things will get back to normal.

17. Member
    Never delayed but I did get denied once in Colorado. I had to appeal as nothing in my background to warrant a rejection, get finger prints, etc... Turns out some dude has the same last name and his middle name is my first name that is on the list. An identification mistake on their end caused me much grief, I even put my SSN on the form which helps since my name is fairly common (Smith) and to help prevent mistaken identification.

I ended up with a form letter that I had to keep with me saying as much and had to provide it when purchasing.

18. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by preacher ed View Post
    kandk...there might be. However, I have never been arrested. Never been sued. Nothing I am aware of that would even remotely be anything I am aware of that would have been a problem. Again, I have bought a number of rifles in the past several years and except for one time I have been okayed within a minute or 2 of them entering the information. The other time was probably 15-20 minutes for some reason. And I certainly haven't done anything in the last 3 weeks that would be worthy of being delayed since my last purchase. It will be interesting next week when I pick up another rifle to see how long it takes. Hopefully things will get back to normal.
    as i said due to recent events, the ATF is being more cautious, could be something as simple as multiple names that pop up however when we provide them your ss# this eliminates this. sometimes is as simple as a misdemeanor when your were young, past DUI, DWI, . Once delayed, the time all depends how long it takes them to dig into you further sometimes it is quick sometimes it is 24 hrs or more all depends how busy they are. Gun sales skyrocket after they threaten to pass new gun laws.. I have no doubt the ATF can not keep up. There is something throwing a red flag for you to be delayed however, in the past it may have been overlooked, or not an issue, but with them being very cautious it takes more of a review. Doesnt mean your a bad person or cant own a gun just means when your pulled up there isn't a little green flag saying good to go, it has to be sent to a second person who reviews a little further and says yes good to go or no go. Ive yet to do one where i got a deny.. however we get a bunch of delays. Im sure you will be good to go based on what you say.. there just doing there job.
    Last edited by KandKKustomz; 03-13-2018 at 07:27 PM.

19. Member
    I was denied for a pistol purchase back in 2004. They said I couldn't buy the gun because I was a convicted felon! That was news to me. I was in the army at the time, and had a current Secret security clearance, which you can't get with a felony criminal history. I had to send fingerprint cards to the FBI to get cleared for the gun purchase. They had me confused with someone else. Finally got my pistol over a month later.

I don't have a criminal record or criminal history of any kind, and never had any dealings with the police. My initial thought was that I was the victim of identity theft. I was just glad that it got worked out without any issues.
    Last edited by Sabre Fan; 03-16-2018 at 06:31 AM.

20. Member
    Thankfully here in Alabama, if you have a valid ccw, they don't have to do another background check before purchase.
    2017 Xpress H20B
    115 Yamaha SHO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast