Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumping Jimmy View Post
    My fasted speed was with a 27 Tempest in the winter. The prop was worked by Robbie at Propeller Dynamics in Chester VA. I could turn that prop to 6100 rpm in cool weather with a lightning gearcase and just me in the boat. I miss that gearcase. It broke and I replaced it with a magnum case. Now 70 is all I can get.
    LOL! We use snowmobiles on the lakes in winter.

I found a Fury 26" for a good price, that's why I'm asking if it would be a good prop for hole shot and a moderate top end. 68 - 70 would be good enough for me.
    Maple syrup... I put that sh*t on everything!
    '09 Stratos 201 XL EVO DC | 250 Pro XS | Razor 4 25P | 6" JP | 10' Talons Gen 2 | 112# Ultrex | Lowrance C12 x 4 | AT | '16 RAM Rebel

If that prop is good and you can spin it to 5800 you will do more that 70MPH. My guess is you'll be around 75. if all is right with the setup and motor. That hull likes lift and thats why everyone is saying Tempest or Trophy. The Fury isn't known to lift as much and needs to run slightly deeper.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

TXP and Tempest have been the best props on my 294. Fury did fairly well with a light load but add a partner and full livewells and it just didn't have the lift or speed. The TXP is a screamer but you give up a lot in holeshot. All around a blueprinted tempest is hard to beat and im betting you'll be able to turn a 27 with the 225, but a 26 is your best bet. I know my 200 pro xs max rpm is 5750 but I believe yours is 6000, if its 5750 as well you'll be all over that with a 26.

4. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Silkstringz View Post
    TXP and Tempest have been the best props on my 294. Fury did fairly well with a light load but add a partner and full livewells and it just didn't have the lift or speed. The TXP is a screamer but you give up a lot in holeshot. All around a blueprinted tempest is hard to beat and im betting you'll be able to turn a 27 with the 225, but a 26 is your best bet. I know my 200 pro xs max rpm is 5750 but I believe yours is 6000, if its 5750 as well you'll be all over that with a 26.
    I found a 'tuned' Tempest 26P. How would the hole shot be with that?

I also found a Trophy Plus 26P. Pros/cons?

Which one would be better overall?

Sorry for all the Q's, but I don't want to throw money away.
    '09 Stratos 201 XL EVO DC | 250 Pro XS | Razor 4 25P | 6" JP | 10' Talons Gen 2 | 112# Ultrex | Lowrance C12 x 4 | AT | '16 RAM Rebel

Hole shot with the 26 tempest should be almost instant with that combo. Just be careful when it comes to "tuned" props. Make sure it was worked by a reputable prop guy. The trophy is a stern and over all lifter, carries a load better than a tempest and a good all around rough water prop. It's typically 1-2mph slower on top end than a tempest but not always. The 26 trophy won't turn as many rpms as a 26 tempest. Both would be good choices.

6. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Silkstringz View Post
    Hole shot with the 26 tempest should be almost instant with that combo. Just be careful when it comes to "tuned" props. Make sure it was worked by a reputable prop guy. The trophy is a stern and over all lifter, carries a load better than a tempest and a good all around rough water prop. It's typically 1-2mph slower on top end than a tempest but not always. The 26 trophy won't turn as many rpms as a 26 tempest. Both would be good choices.
    That clarifies what I wanted to know.

Thank you!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CDN Bass View Post
    That clarifies what I wanted to know.

Thank you!
    I wouldn't be worried about running a promax, We ran a ProET on my partner's 294/200 sho and it ran great. It was faster then a fury/trophy/tempest and T1. We spent 2 days of prop testing and The fastest prop that day was a Performer 4 BC. If i remember correctly we ran 82.Xmph light and 80.Xmph 2 guys.

As soon as we get ice off we will be going prop testing again, been stock piling props all winter.

We will be running a promax in the next 4 weeks or so. I will report back how it runs.

8. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hyperflow View Post
    I wouldn't be worried about running a promax, We ran a ProET on my partner's 294/200 sho and it ran great. It was faster then a fury/trophy/tempest and T1. We spent 2 days of prop testing and The fastest prop that day was a Performer 4 BC. If i remember correctly we ran 82.Xmph light and 80.Xmph 2 guys.

As soon as we get ice off we will be going prop testing again, been stock piling props all winter.

We will be running a promax in the next 4 weeks or so. I will report back how it runs.
    I wish that I knew all of the jargon used in describing props. I Googled these two and found that they appear to be more of a high speed prop. You didn't mention the hole shot capabilities or pitch of the props.

Also, what pitch Promax are you going to run, and on what boat? Mine is a 25", but the Merc Prop Selector recommends a 4 blade 27".

I see that you're in Sturgeon Falls... my old stomping grounds when I went to Nip U. Do you think that Lake Nipissing will be open in 4 weeks considering the weather we're having? I was also thinking of grabbing Shane's 26 Trophy in Dutrisac when he gets back from Jamaica this week.

I don't need to go rocket stupid fast like some of you guys in the TOP 50 Pike Series do. I've seen some go 90+ mph on Lake Vermillion (YouTube). That's a disaster waiting to happen. 75 mph is plenty fast for me.

9. Member
    I wish that I knew all of the jargon used in describing props. I Googled these two and found that they appear to be more of a high speed prop. You didn't mention the hole shot capabilities or pitch of the props.

Also, what pitch Promax are you going to run, and on what boat? Mine is a 25", but the Merc Prop Selector recommends a 4 blade 27".

I see that you're in Sturgeon Falls... my old stomping grounds when I went to Nip U. Do you think that Lake Nipissing will be open in 4 weeks considering the weather we're having? I was also thinking of grabbing Shane's 26 Trophy in Dutrisac when he gets back from Jamaica this week.

I don't need to go rocket stupid fast like some of you guys in the TOP 50 Pike Series do. I've seen some go 90+ mph on Lake Vermillion (YouTube). That's a disaster waiting to happen. 75 mph is plenty fast for me.
    They holeshot just as well as all the "normal" props. These we're on a SHO which is a beast out of the hole. A very safe prop would be a Hydromotive QIV-X OB. They do everything well.

We are going to be trying a 27,28 and a 29 Promax.

I doubt nip will be open, we normally go manitoulin island to fish the opener and bring props to play with. If your ever in this area and want to go prop testing we are 4 guys that buy props and just try them on eachothers boats, your welcome to join.

Kinda funny you mention that youtube vid.......that's me lol

10. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Kinda funny you mention that youtube vid.......that's me lol
    Ya... you're nuts.

... and your buddy is even crazier to get in with you.
    Last edited by CDN Bass; 04-06-2018 at 04:34 PM.

When your the rider going 72mph for 20 miles it's hard on the body. Can't imagine going 90 as a rider with no console in front.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

12. Member
    Ya... you're nuts.

... and your buddy is even crazier to get in with you.
    The boat is so smooth that it makes it feel slower then your actually going. Unless your look at the gps you wouldn't think you would be going that fast. My partner gets asked OFTEN why he would get in my boat

13. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    ... We ran a ProET on my partner's 294/200 sho and it ran great. It was faster then a fury/trophy/tempest and T1. ....The fastest prop that day was a Performer 4 BC. If i remember correctly we ran 82.Xmph light and 80.Xmph 2 guys..
    What pitch on each?

14. Member
    Both 28s

15. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Both 28s
    Wow!... that's up there. What kind of set back are you running and height to pad?

16. Member
    Wow!... that's up there. What kind of set back are you running and height to pad?
    I’d be running at least 27 on your rig. I use to run a 28 raker turned to a 29 on my 200proxl/225ho back in the day.

8” of setback. Running a hydraulic plate so don’t pay attention to prop shaft height. Just lift tell you lose water pressure or speed. Which ever comes first.

17. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    I’d be running at least 27 on your rig. I use to run a 28 raker turned to a 29 on my 200proxl/225ho back in the day.

8” of setback. Running a hydraulic plate so don’t pay attention to prop shaft height. Just lift tell you lose water pressure or speed. Which ever comes first.
    OK... I'll look into a 27", since we run basically the same waters throughout the year. Others have said the same... and I got used to the HJP last fall with blow out and WP. I simply had a POS motor and the wrong prop.

Was that your old 200 Pro XL that was for sale in Sudbury this past year? I believe that it was a red SC with a 225.

18. Member
    OK... I'll look into a 27", since we run basically the same waters throughout the year. Others have said the same... and I got used to the HJP last fall with blow out and WP. I simply had a POS motor and the wrong prop.

Was that your old 200 Pro XL that was for sale in Sudbury this past year? I believe that it was a red SC with a 225.

the boat your thinking of was a 201 pro xl.

19. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    So, I had my newly rebuilt 225 Pro XS installed yesterday, and I traded my two Promax props for a new Fury 26" and Torquemaster hub kit while I was at the shop. The shop machinist has the same boat as I, but with a 200 XS and runs the Fury on his. He claims 74 mph, and that's with full tourney load and two 200 lb occupants. I also have a 26" Trophy (lightly used) on its way as back up.

I have yet to perform the break-in on the motor, so I'll let you guys know the numbers when I'm done.

Thanks, BBC, for all your input!

I also installed a new '200' decal kit on the motor ...

I don't think a 26 will be enough prop.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast