Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

FLW Cumberland regulations

I'm fishing co-angler in FLW Tour this April. Participants just received an email that all 3 species can be weighed in if over 12 inches.This of course is a change from 12 for spots 15 for LM and 18 for sm. Is this just a permit agreement for that tournament?
    Last year all kinds of 17 inch sm never made it to the scales. It will show out even better than last year.

Must be an agreement with KDFW and FLW because the lake regulations have not changed. I have heard stories where BASS or FLW worked out deals in other states to get special regulations during an event but this is the first time someone actually verified it was true.

Here is the 2018 KY Fish Guide regulation book...it list statewide regulations but there is lakes that have more strict regulations that the statewide regulations. Page 7 list the more strict regulations for Cumberland. It's still 15" LM and 18" SM. It says nothing about spots because they do not have a size limit. FLW might have a size limit for spots but the state of KY does not.

Look at page 7...might want flip through all the pages just so your familiar with KY state regulations. https://fw.ky.gov/Fish/Documents/18-...hing_guide.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by BassCatKev View Post
    I'm fishing co-angler in FLW Tour this April. Participants just received an email that all 3 species can be weighed in if over 12 inches.This of course is a change from 12 for spots 15 for LM and 18 for sm. Is this just a permit agreement for that tournament?
    Last year all kinds of 17 inch sm never made it to the scales. It will show out even better than last year.
    I think they do this for the high school regionals. At least they do on caverun where our regional is held.
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

4. Member
    Thanks. I'm sure that's what it is.

5. Kentucky Bass Club/Trailers & Towing Moderator
    You can petition Fish and Wildlife and ask for a decrease in size limits for an event. I think it will be a difference maker as far as numbers. However I think dropping to 12 on smallmouth is a bit much. Would have been nice to see it at 15 with the largemouth.

6. Banned
    I don’t see it changing anything. Well maybe, can’t remember Wendlents lead on day four but I guess four dinks would be better than nothing.

Personally I do not like it.

7. Member
    I think its a good idea for tv ratings. Nothing more irritating than throwing back 17 1/2" smallies all day. Itll make the weights look better for sure and will actually save some guys some time from having to go try to pick up a couple 12" spots to fill their limit.
    They aint got hands, set the hook

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    I think its a good idea for tv ratings. Nothing more irritating than throwing back 17 1/2" smallies all day. Itll make the weights look better for sure and will actually save some guys some time from having to go try to pick up a couple 12" spots to fill their limit.
    I haven't heard anyone I know complain about throwing back 17.5 small mouths ever. Sure it frustrates tournament fisherman but I think that is a good thing, Dale doesn't get close the pressure that cland does and churns out 4-5lb smallmouth.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rude196 View Post
    I haven't heard anyone I know complain about throwing back 17.5 small mouths ever. Sure it frustrates tournament fisherman but I think that is a good thing, Dale doesn't get close the pressure that cland does and churns out 4-5lb smallmouth.

Like i said, it makes for better tv and TOURNAMENT results. Cumberland churns out big smallies just like dale does, it just doesnt have the overall population that dale is. You think Dale doesnt get pressure? You do realize there was a bfl there last weekend and another bfl there today, right? Cumberland and dale get compared too much, theyre completely and totally different fisheries
    They aint got hands, set the hook

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    Like i said, it makes for better tv and TOURNAMENT results. Cumberland churns out big smallies just like dale does, it just doesnt have the overall population that dale is. You think Dale doesnt get pressure? You do realize there was a bfl there last weekend and another bfl there today, right? Cumberland and dale get compared too much, theyre completely and totally different fisheries
    Yeah, I knew about the bfls. I haven't looked at the results but can almost guarantee they were won with largemouths.

11. Member
    Dale gets pressure - but the smallmouth are definitely more protected— also don’t have striper guides pounding the smallies like c land either—I’m all for good TV but do u really want to see 12 inchers ? Though these guys are worlds greatest anglers;)— hell I’d rather limits be kept same but let them use live bait

12. Member
    That's Terrible if they do allow smaller fish to be weighed!!! The regulations are in place for a reason!! Why allow one group to not follow the rules??? this is like giving a participation trophy in my book... Oh you cant catch keepers? we will change the rules and make it easier then. What a joke!
    "Luminous beings are we not this crude matter." Yoda

13. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Call me selfish, label me narrow minded or call me whatever you want but I wish the size limit was 20" on all three of the black bass species on the three particular lakes that I fish the most. I am not an anti tournament guy because I used to fish them regularly and still occasionally fish one but if they had a 20" limit you you would not have the national attention FLW brings nor would you have regional pressure or local pressure. Cumberland does not get hammered like other lake in south central KY from June-September but there is some lakes that get way too much pressure...a larger size limit would alleviate most of that issue.

14. Member
    Agreed JR19!
    "Luminous beings are we not this crude matter." Yoda

15. Member
    I personally think cumberland gets a whole lot more pressure then what some folks think. I also wish they would leave the size limits just as they are for all tournaments period. It also wouldn't bother me if it was raised to 20" like Jr19 said. 3 fish limits would be great in tournaments too in my opinion.

16. Banned
    I still can't find these new regs anywhere. Of course I'm not a co angler or angler in this event. I'm betting this will be cleared up by 12 tomorrow

17. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Took about 1 minute to find them which is really surprising considering how I sometimes think the layout of the FLW site makes it hard to find things...once you click on the link I provided, then click on Off Limits and Additional Info

https://www.flwfishing.com/tournamen...ake-cumberland

*PRESENTED BY GENERAL TIRE

Restricted access begins Mar 9, 2018 for pros only.
    All competition waters are off limits Mar 26-Apr 7, 2018 to pros only.
    All competition waters are off limits to pros and co-anglers Wednesday, Apr 5, 2018.

Off Limits: Standard FLW off limits as defined in Rule #14 plus entire area inside the no-wake buoys at General Burnside State Park (see map at www.flwfishing.com). There is no fishing inside the break barriers at Conley Bottom Marina and Burnside Marina (See other Marina no-fishing).

Fishing License: A Kentucky fishing license is required and can be purchased by phone at 877.598.2401 or online at takemefishing.org.

Catch Limit: 5; Size Limit: 12" on all bass *NO CULLING OF DEAD FISH ALLOWED*

Service trailers will locate at Burnside State Park beginning April 9, 2018.

18. Member
    IMO changing the size limit for an group is total BS. How many times do we hear about how many fish die after they are released. Size limits for a small club or for BASS or FLW should always remain the same. Exception.... if they went with the MLF format and weighed and released on the spot.

I can understand them changing it to 15" for sm even though I don't necessarily agree with it. But changing it to 12" for both LM and SM is ridiculous.
    Jason
    2015 Phoenix 919 225 ProXs

Kentucky High School and Jr. High tournaments only get a break on the smallmouth 15 inches.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast