Installing Ultrex on 198P

I am ordering an Ultrex to replace the Fortrex on my 198P. Those of you that have made the up grade, how did you wire the Ultrex? Did you splice the Ultrex wires into the existing wires for the old trolling motor or did you install an electrical plug in the bow panel?

i would think the wiring on the fortex would be the same as the Utrex. I have a 198p and the trolling motor is hard wired. No plug. You will have to remove the pedal, then the tray. Under the tray you will find a plastic box that trolling motor cables go into. I really don’t. Know anything about the Ultrex but I would think main power wires would be the same. Maybe someone will chime in to agree or disagree. I would also recommend flipping the trolling motor breaker to OFF before you hook up new Ultrex power cables.

My RT188 had a little box that the lid unsnaps. It is the connector for the wires coming from the back to the leads coming from the trolling motor. Then take off two nuts and disconnect the wires coming from the Fortrex. Replace them with the leads from the Ultrex and tighten down and close cap. Should not take 5 minutes. 30-35 minute install for me start to finish from removing Fortrex to wiring and bolting the Ultrex back down. All 6 bolts lined up with holes from the Fortrex existing holes.
    2015 RT188 Mercury 4 Stroke Laser II 21P
    Helix 12/360 Imaging/Dual Helix 10's/Ultrex

4. Member
    Thanks jigging15, I have been told that on the 198 I need to remove the recessed foot control pan to access that connector.

5. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pabasshawk View Post
    Thanks jigging15, I have been told that on the 198 I need to remove the recessed foot control pan to access that connector.
    You need to remove the recessed tray to access the trolling motor wires. I have MK quick release mounts on both my boats and on an Ultrex and a Fortrex. I can swap trolling motors in an hour.

When putting the recessed tray back in, get 4 nails and use the nails to find and line up the holes in the corners of the tray. Then start adding the screws. Much faster than trying to find the holes with the screws.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    You need to remove the recessed tray to access the trolling motor wires. I have MK quick release mounts on both my boats and on an Ultrex and a Fortrex. I can swap trolling motors in an hour.

When putting the recessed tray back in, get 4 nails and use the nails to find and line up the holes in the corners of the tray. Then start adding the screws. Much faster than trying to find the holes with the screws.
    Do you ever have to worry about theivery with the high end trolling motors? I am due to pick up an Ranger RB190 soon and am going to replace the stock saltwater TM with the ipilot link. I've thought about putting the plug so that it can be removed and putting it on a quick release plate. The TM I will be replacing is the Edge 70.

7. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranchonodinero View Post
    Do you ever have to worry about theivery with the high end trolling motors? I am due to pick up an Ranger RB190 soon and am going to replace the stock saltwater TM with the ipilot link. I've thought about putting the plug so that it can be removed and putting it on a quick release plate. The TM I will be replacing is the Edge 70.
    I'm not all that worried about thievery where I live but if I was, I would have installed a plug on both boats and I still might install a plug because it is a bit of a PIA taking the recessed tray out.

The only time I'm worried about theft is when travelling. The quick release plates have a hole for a small lock but I also wrap a couple of cable locks through the motor and my Loc-R-Bar. If they want to go through all that to get my motor, they can have it and I'll let insurance get me a new one.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

8. Member
    I will be putting an ulterra on my to be delivered RB190 and am thinking I will go the QR plate mount.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranchonodinero View Post
    I'm also installing a Ipilot ultrex I will add a Duralock for piece of mind 35.00 at tacklewarehouse