Thread: 618

I’ve recently been looking at a Phoenix 618 with a 150 Pro XS and I was wondering how they handle bigger waters like Toledo Bend and Sam Rayburn

2. Member
    I think it will do as well or better then any 18fter in the market but on those lakes it still may not be big enough. I fish Kentucky Lake and Okeechobee. I don't tournament fish. I can always find something to fish but I can trailer to a semi-protected bay.

I've ask guys who came out of the 618 to a larger bird. On a day too rough for the 618 does the larger bird suddenly make conditions fine/smooth. The answer I have been given is no. It makes it better which we would expect.

My 618 goes in exactly the same places as my 1996 19ft ranger.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

3. Member
    I’m not a tournament fisherman, I just want something that I’ll enjoy when I get to those two lakes. Not something that I’ll have to fight.

I've managed to air the prop a few times in rough water on my 618 (150 Pro XS). Came out the other end dry and with my spine intact. The boat can take it.

5. Member
    I've fished both lakes in 16 to 18ft boats just stay off the big water on bad weather days or pick bays to fish that you can stay out of the ruff stuff.
    2016 Phoenix 819 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    Kenny

6. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I'll agree with the other, if its a windy and or bad weather day you dont want to get on the main lake with an 18' boat, and thats any brand......its stills scares me with a bigger boat.....i did it with my 18.5' Skeeter one year when a front was passing thur and it wasnt a pleasant ride....NEVER did it again.....wouldnt even do in the boat i have now.

If you have a "small" boat you just have to make a smart decision when heading out to the lake.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

7. Member
    Where are you located? I'll be happy to take you out on Palestine on a windy day.

8. Member
    I fish on Toledo a lot in my 618 and it handles it extremely well for a 18 1/2 foot boat. I've never once hesitated to run from mid lake to the south end in 10-15 mph wind. Anything over 15 mph on Toledo is going to be rough regardless of the size, make, or model of boat. I really boils down to common sense when it comes to Toledo(or any big water), that place is a monster on any given day pending the wind. But as far as the 618 goes you will be hard pressed to find a better/drier ride from a 18 1/2 footer. It also handles on coming wake from other boats with no issues and is very stable and holds great in the wind. My only suggestion would be getting the 175 instead of the 150. That's the only gripe about my boat, it leaves you wanting more top end. Mine averages 59-61 mph loaded with just me with my 150 pro xs. 56-59 with two people. Still have a decent hole shot even with the 150. So if top end speed isn't a factor with you, the 150 will do the trick for you.

9. Member
    Side note that my 2015 618 175 merc Pro Xs will Be for sale May 1st. It’s in showroom condition and has tons of extras. Hit me up if interested. I fish the Chesapeake Bay with mine and it does great. I think it’s the best sub 19’ rig on the market. That being said at times no boat is big enough for the Chesapeake. Same goes for many other bodies of water. Just be smart and you will be fine.

In March I took my 618 to Lake George on the St Johns River. I had a buddy with me with his 20 ft Skeeter. The winds were up every day we were there. Swells were 3 ft. It was a little hairy going out into the main lake. My 618 handled it better than I could have imagined. My buddy with the Skeeter said he could not keep up with me . He said his boat felt like it was going to throw him out. I would say it is the best rough water sub 19’ boat on the market.

2016 Phoenix 618 Pro
    2016 Mercury 175 Pro XS

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rangersc View Post
    In March I took my 618 to Lake George on the St Johns River. I had a buddy with me with his 20 ft Skeeter. The winds were up every day we were there. Swells were 3 ft. It was a little hairy going out into the main lake. My 618 handled it better than I could have imagined. My buddy with the Skeeter said he could not keep up with me . He said his boat felt like it was going to throw him out. I would say it is the best rough water sub 19’ boat on the market.
    it is very good

One day I was out on Okeechobee and we had a good spot. Winds changed and I was trying to get back to it the next day. I slowly rolled over 4 and bigger waves for roughly 3 miles. Once to spot was still rough. Could not make any casts. But the 618 did its part of the job.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947