Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar

2005 Mercury225 Pro XS question/specifics

Hi Don,

I'm about to purchase a completely rebuilt/refreshed (2 1/2 hrs away, going to get it in mid April), from a reputable builder.

2005 Mercury Pro XS
    serial number: 1B150370

I know that these were the earliest of the Pro XS models, so I was wondering if these were the models that came with a Torquemaster gearcase (painted black), and built by Mercury Racing.

It's always good to have a second opinion.

Thanks!
    Maple syrup... I put that sh*t on everything!
    '09 Stratos 201 XL EVO DC | 250 Pro XS | Razor 4 25P | 6" JP | 10' Talons Gen 2 | 112# Ultrex | Lowrance C12 x 4 | AT | '16 RAM Rebel

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes, Gen-1 Torquemaster was the gearcase used on the ProXS in that vintage.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Yes, Gen-1 Torquemaster was the gearcase used on the ProXS in that vintage.
    What is the difference between Gen 1 & Gen 2?
    What identifying features should I look for?
    Anything I should be concerned about?
    '09 Stratos 201 XL EVO DC | 250 Pro XS | Razor 4 25P | 6" JP | 10' Talons Gen 2 | 112# Ultrex | Lowrance C12 x 4 | AT | '16 RAM Rebel

4. Member
    The Gen2 is the, latest greatest lower unit, that can NOT be substituted on the 2005 motor.

Click on this for an explanation of the Gen2 >>>>Gen-2 Torquemaster GENERAL setup guidelines

Click on this >>>>Considering buying a used Engine?

5. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    You won't find a Fleetmaster on a ProXS, unless it was in a "multi-engine" application.

You won't find a Sportmaster on it either (unless it's been added)- engine was never manufactured with that gearcase.

The two likely gearcases:

-Verado Style (Servicemaster) Gearcase. It's BLACK, does NOT have a Torque-Tab, and has a 1" Propshaft.

-Gen-2 Torquemaster (Silver gearcase), which has a "wing" or fin at the front of the gearcase, just above the side water inlets. Uses a 1-1/4" propshaft/hub. This gearcase also has a VERY wide campered strut area.

There was an earlier Gen-1 Torquemaster (used prior to 2013 production). It was black OR silver, 1-1/4" propshaft, and had a Cast-In Torque Tab on the STB side of the skeg.

I would recommend the Verado-Style gearcase for that boat/application.

The following may also help:

Torquemaster VS. Verado Gearcase Identification
    I found this in another thread, so all I basically need to know if there are any concerns with a Gen 1 Torque Master.

6. Member
    Like anything used, it will depend on how well it was maintained. I would inspect the gear lube for water contamination, and the run-out on the prop shaft.

7. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    The Gen2 is the, latest greatest lower unit, that can NOT be substituted on the 2005 motor.

Click on this for an explanation of the Gen2 >>>>Gen-2 Torquemaster GENERAL setup guidelines

Click on this >>>>Considering buying a used Engine?
    Thank you!

8. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Like anything used, it will depend on how well it was maintained. I would inspect the gear lube for water contamination, and the run-out on the prop shaft.
    Oh boy, I have lots to learn.