2014 ProXs Idle/run issues

2B115846 is a 2014 250 ProXS.
    I know these issues have been discussed numerous times. I have had numerous issues from 11 hrs in. Blown port fuel rail, tracker valves and recall issue with reed base deal. Motor has never idled well, but once they did the recall fix it ran better than ever for 6 months.

Then, this past weekend while idling out of a 5 mph zone she stumbled bad nearly stalling, then sped up on its own to nearly 2300 rpm. Being 20 miles from launch I gingerly ran her on plane and nursed it back at 4200. It ran but it felt really "heavy". Only way I can explain it...

Not convinced it wasn't me I took it out Monday and it ran fine, no noticeable issues.

Then Tuesday I took it out in the AM to do a couple hours of side scanning early in the AM. It started and ran to the area I was looking at and about a half hour into various idle ranges, it coughed, stumbled, and died. Would not restart. I immediately went to the bulb and it felt fine just a tad soft. I squeezed hard a couple times then attempted to refire, nothing. Went back to the bulb and squeezed 4 to 6 more times, it barely moved but when I went back to fire a second time it fired and I ran it back to the ramp 8 miles at 4200 with no problem.

It's going back to the dealer 3hrs away one way for the 6th time, and I'm obviously becoming frustrated. I don't know if its a TV, FRail, Reed, TPS, or another yet diagnosed mystery?

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. I need to have this thing gone thru
    completely once and for all. Thank you in advance.

Dan
    Last edited by reelex; 03-08-2018 at 11:16 PM.
    " Serious Service for the Serious Angler"

2. Member
    Pump up the primer bulb each time you start the motor.

3. Member
    Are you running Quikleen in the fuel? Mercury programs all their ECMs to detect Quikleen (and only Quikleen- not other snake oils). If the ECM does not detect Quikleen, it will adjust to make the engine idle poorly, misfire, and lose top end.

JK - this of course is a lie. But this is what I have to tell myself to make sure I keep adding it to the gas. If are not already doing this- I would suggest to run Don's cocktail (1 ounch Quickleen and 1 ounce Quickare per 5 gallons) when you get it back from the dealer.

Yes I am running cocktail...

5. Member
    It could just be the primer bulb itself.. Also make sure that it is positioned vertically so the check valve inside the bulb functions correctly.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Dan- Primer bulb isn't impossible, but I'm doubtful that it is the problem.

See what your dealer comes up with (I only see one failure, and then the reed plate bulletin performed).

Remember- you can have your work done at ANY Mercury Dealer (there may be someone closer):

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/find-a-dealer/

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Yeah, never suspected the bulb seriously. I know, 2 tracker valves were replaced by service trailer and it doesn't show? Dealer found
    broken reeds to be the issue. Hopefully that is all.

Finding s dealer has never been an issue. Finding a good one? Well that can be a whole other deal.

Calvin at RYS in Redding, CA is one of the best techs I've come across so its worth the drive....

Thanks for reply Don.

Update...lift pump had issues as well....